Songs that I hate...

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Songs that I hate...

Post by Low Down Low »

I think you could add a sub-category here of songs that are very good but have been killed by over-exposure and frequent radio play. There seems to be a rule where I'm from that if you play John Martyn on the radio, it has to be either May You Never or Sweet Little Mystery, as if they were the only two songs he ever recorded. I once really loved both those songs but repeated airplay over the years has simply murdered them for me to the point where I think I might actually hate them.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 2:39am
Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 1:30am
101Walterton wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 9:32pm
UB40’s version of Red Red Wine
Another one I wouldn't turn off. There is MUCH MUCH worse out there.
I was using Flex’s definition of songs I hate from bands I otherwise don’t mind (albeit I only like early UB40).
That song kept me from checking out early UB40 (which I like) for many, many years. I loathe it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

That dreary Radiohead song.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:06am
...which one... ;)

I saw a car with a Radiohead decal on it the other day and my first thought was what a poor, miserable soul (with bad taste) the driver must be! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I can't believe that none of you have mentioned the absolute worst song of all time - Toto's Africa. And the fact that millenials and gen z'ers have embraced it as their anthem makes it all the more terrible. It's a hateful song. It's so terrible it makes Kokomo sound like Ziggy Stardust. Let's put it this way. I would rather listen to Mama by Phil Collins on a continues loop for an entire week than listen to Africa once. It's that bad.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:38am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:06am
...which one... ;)

I saw a car with a Radiohead decal on it the other day and my first thought was what a poor, miserable soul (with bad taste) the driver must be! :mrgreen:
They are the Pink Floyd of Generation X.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Well I haven't heard Piano Man for years (it wasn't a hit over here), yet it turned up like a bad penny on the radio today. It is quite awful.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:57am
I can't believe that none of you have mentioned the absolute worst song of all time - Toto's Africa. And the fact that millenials and gen z'ers have embraced it as their anthem makes it all the more terrible. It's a hateful song. It's so terrible it makes Kokomo sound like Ziggy Stardust. Let's put it this way. I would rather listen to Mama by Phil Collins on a continues loop for an entire week than listen to Africa once. It's that bad.
My 8-year-old son absolutely LOVES that song and I think the recent cover by Weezer has given it new life.

This is pretty great:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater

Candle in the Wind makes my skin crawl.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 11:54am
Agreed.

And sorry JB, Africa is a superb song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

The Boxer would have to be up there for me. One of the pubs I go to near me they have music there on weekends, not always but usually just a guy on his own with a guitar, and I know there's always at least a 95% chance they'll sing The Boxer as well as a 90% chance they'll play American Pie. And on those occasions when the regulars take it in turns to sing their own stuff I know there's 100% chance someone will stand up and belt out Sweet Caroline. A triple whammy of sheer awfulness right there I reckon.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 11:48am
JennyB wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:57am
My 8-year-old son absolutely LOVES that song and I think the recent cover by Weezer has given it new life.

This is pretty great:
The beginning is perfect. Then he goes off the rails.OK, then it becomes perfect again.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 11:56am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 11:54am
Agreed.

And sorry JB, Africa is a superb song.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 11:56am
Africa is a superb song.
Never change, you hideous mistake of nature.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Low Down Low wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 12:06pm
The Boxer would have to be up there for me. One of the pubs I go to near me they have music there on weekends, not always but usually just a guy on his own with a guitar, and I know there's always at least a 95% chance they'll sing The Boxer as well as a 90% chance they'll play American Pie. And on those occasions when the regulars take it in turns to sing their own stuff I know there's 100% chance someone will stand up and belt out Sweet Caroline. A triple whammy of sheer awfulness right there I reckon.
Awww, I love The Boxer, though I can imagine it would get old if I had to endure a guitar guy singing it every weekend. I wholeheartedly agree with the other two.
Got a Rake? Sure!