Re: Sid And Nancy Soundtrack

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 3:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 3:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 8:05am
Watched the movie this morning—can't recall the last time I did so—and was really struck how my feelings have grown for the story's two halves. I find the first half—the Sex Pistols half, you could call it—less effective, flat and corny. People complain about historical inaccuracies and all that, but the whole scene plays out as rather bland. The second half—the Sid & Nancy half—plays out better than I recalled … or, more likely, how I receive it. There's a real human tragedy played out. Two self-destructive people on a doomed course, but they never stop being human. Some have criticized Cox for romanticizing junkie squalor, and there's definitely evidence there if that's your perspective, but I prefer to see it as not consigning them to cheap cliches or other abstractions. Fucked up and making their own horrible fate, sure, but they still felt fear and love and want even as they lose hope, and so we should feel a connection to them. So, an affecting half movie once we can get past the plodding set-up.
My criticism of Cox is that the junkie squalor is nowhere near squalid enough. It's a sad tale of two junkies with Sid believing he is a bigger star than he really is. McLaren/Branson/Virgin records are to blame for Sid's inflated ego and for taking liberties with someone who is nothing more than just a kid at the end of the day. Oldman is simply superb as Sid and the film does still hold a charm.
You're right, but I don't fault Cox for his choice to emphasize the two of them and their relationship rather than a more true depiction of the environment. Given that both Sid and Nancy had been reduced to cartoon characters in the popular media, and as characters to be mocked and snickered at, I think restoring their respectability as actual people defensible.
I don't think Cox did not do enough homework to find out exactly who Sid was. I still think Cox could've put more leg work in his research. Sid was a funny guy and he had a smart side too. He was no intellectual but when it came to understand the common man he was just like John who didn't suffer fools lightly but could laugh at the absurdity of it all. When I think back now how that 7'' single sleeve reduced Sid to a cartoon just weeks after his death is really sad. Who knows what Sid would've become but anything would've been better than have the world believe Sid to be nothing more than a pathetic punk who murdered his girlfriend. I still think he was innocent he seemed to really love Nancy when all around him hated her with a passion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 5:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Watched the movie this morning—can't recall the last time I did so—and was really struck how my feelings have grown for the story's two halves. I find the first half—the Sex Pistols half, you could call it—less effective, flat and corny. People complain about historical inaccuracies and all that, but the whole scene plays out as rather bland. The second half—the Sid & Nancy half—plays out better than I recalled … or, more likely, how I receive it. There's a real human tragedy played out. Two self-destructive people on a doomed course, but they never stop being human. Some have criticized Cox for romanticizing junkie squalor, and there's definitely evidence there if that's your perspective, but I prefer to see it as not consigning them to cheap cliches or other abstractions. Fucked up and making their own horrible fate, sure, but they still felt fear and love and want even as they lose hope, and so we should feel a connection to them. So, an affecting half movie once we can get past the plodding set-up.
My criticism of Cox is that the junkie squalor is nowhere near squalid enough. It's a sad tale of two junkies with Sid believing he is a bigger star than he really is. McLaren/Branson/Virgin records are to blame for Sid's inflated ego and for taking liberties with someone who is nothing more than just a kid at the end of the day. Oldman is simply superb as Sid and the film does still hold a charm.
You're right, but I don't fault Cox for his choice to emphasize the two of them and their relationship rather than a more true depiction of the environment. Given that both Sid and Nancy had been reduced to cartoon characters in the popular media, and as characters to be mocked and snickered at, I think restoring their respectability as actual people defensible.
I don't think Cox did not do enough homework to find out exactly who Sid was. I still think Cox could've put more leg work in his research. Sid was a funny guy and he had a smart side too. He was no intellectual but when it came to understand the common man he was just like John who didn't suffer fools lightly but could laugh at the absurdity of it all. When I think back now how that 7'' single sleeve reduced Sid to a cartoon just weeks after his death is really sad. Who knows what Sid would've become but anything would've been better than have the world believe Sid to be nothing more than a pathetic punk who murdered his girlfriend. I still think he was innocent he seemed to really love Nancy when all around him hated her with a passion.
I don’t believe Sid murdered Nancy. Whether she was killed by accident in which he was involved who would know and suspect we never will.
I always thought Sid could have had a great solo career IF managed properly. My Way, C’mon Everybody were great singles and a sign of what may have been.
As I have said many times on here Billy Idol had Sid’s solo career.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
As I mentioned initially, that first half is flat, which is where we could have seen a "deeper" Sid whom his friends remember fondly. I can't help but think that he only wanted to make that second half of the film, but still had to do the first part to set it up.
101Walterton wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 6:04pm
I don’t believe Sid murdered Nancy. Whether she was killed by accident in which he was involved who would know and suspect we never will.
I've gradually come around to this as well. Given how wasted they both were, how subservient he was to her, and all the nasty people in their circle, it's entirely plausible that she was murdered by someone else. So utterly sad.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Haven't listened to the soundtrack in ages got it cheap off ebay years ago. Haven't seen the movie since when it came out. Im curious how I would find it now. I think 101 raises a good point. Hell Sid may have made a better Billy Idol than Billy Idol. No matter what a waste he died so young. As for who killed Nancy, who knows I think people kill people they seemingly love all the time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 6:22pm
I think people kill people they seemingly love all the time.
Mrs. revbob coughs nervously and looks for the exits …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I always thought Sid could have had a great solo career IF managed properly. My Way, C’mon Everybody were great singles and a sign of what may have been.
I don't think Sid would have had that much of a career to be honest. An album of covers was mooted before he died and Steve and Paul were readying themselves for a trip to the US . Billy Idol wrote his own songs and can play guitar and has had a long career. Sid didn't have the same amount of talent as Billy and the covers would've worn thin pretty quickly. Sid could never had been the singer in the Pistols after John left it just wouldn't have worked out. Steve and Sid were both junkies by this stage and it wouldve been a nightmare. Look at all the great Generation X singles and Billys early singles were all really strong. Sid wrote one song "Belsen Was A Gas" and it's the worst thing the Pistols recorded.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 7:31pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I don't think Sid would have had that much of a career to be honest. An album of covers was mooted before he died and Steve and Paul were readying themselves for a trip to the US . Billy Idol wrote his own songs and can play guitar and has had a long career. Sid didn't have the same amount of talent as Billy and the covers would've worn thin pretty quickly. Sid could never had been the singer in the Pistols after John left it just wouldn't have worked out. Steve and Sid were both junkies by this stage and it wouldve been a nightmare. Look at all the great Generation X singles and Billys early singles were all really strong. Sid wrote one song "Belsen Was A Gas" and it's the worst thing the Pistols recorded.
I don’t disagree with your Idol observations however if Billy had the talent Sid had the profile and as we know the music industry is full of people with the profile without necessarily having the talent.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 6:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
I don’t disagree with your Idol observations however if Billy had the talent Sid had the profile and as we know the music industry is full of people with the profile without necessarily having the talent.
So, were we spared or robbed of a Sid Vicious Christmas album? I can go either way on this.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree with everything you said, though I think a great deal of Idol's success was because of his looks. Sid could have had a very respectable solo career, but I don't ever think he would have reached Idol's level of rock god/sex symbol status.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Billy Idol is kind of underrated for what he accomplished early in his solo career - and I agree - I don't see Sid pulling off the same amount of success. Idol could write songs and he was a great front man who understood who to sell an image. I think Sid has been portrayed as a moronic junkie for a long time - I know growing up I just assumed Sid had to have been a clown - but as I grew up and listened to/read interviews - I learned he was far more complex. That said - again - I don't think he could have had Idol's solo career.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:22am
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I agree with everything you said, though I think a great deal of Idol's success was because of his looks. Sid could have had a very respectable solo career, but I don't ever think he would have reached Idol's level of rock god/sex symbol status.
Imagine My Way on MTV!!!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:44pm
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Imagine My Way on MTV!!!
Yeah imagine all the edits made to the film and music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Imagine My Way on MTV!!!
I mean, it still could have worked. Look at Ric Ocasek. But still.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 2:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Imagine My Way on MTV!!!
You think Sid flicking V's and shooting the audience and the word "cunt" in the lyrics would get heavy rotation?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 2:55pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 2:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Imagine My Way on MTV!!!
You think Sid flicking V's and shooting the audience and the word "cunt" in the lyrics would get heavy rotation?
Obviously My Way wasn’t made for MTV but shows how great Sid could have been with an audience.