What should I be listening to right now?

General music discussion.
hairydot61
Junco Partner

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by hairydot61 »

Why not?
The 3rd album by THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN - AUTOMATIC from 89'

Loved it then & I Love it now.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

There is another thread on the forum about the handing down of music from your parents, family or friends, its amazing what certain songs can do for you just hearing them on the radio, I know exactly where these tunes come from, a working mans song about 'The Man', an unrequented love and ode to Vino with some gentle humour, and a political Rock n' Roll  racket

TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD - 16 TONS

DEAN MARTIN - LITTLE OLE WINE DRINKER

THE REDSKINS - RED STRIKE THE BLUES

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

The warm weather in the U.K has inspired a change in Genre and tempo, these tracks probably used midi too, something Dean Martin thought was a smaller cocktail than he would usually have, a couple of tracks from the Excellent album by FLUKE entitled SIX WHEELS ON MY WAGON, the title of which I'm sure was inspired by The New Christy Minstrels – Three Wheels On My Wagon, bloody hell, remember that first time around.
FLUKE should have been as big as CHEMICAL BROTHERS or UNDERWORLD or LEFTFIELD, Life is strange.
FLUKE - OH YEAH

FLUKE - SLID

TRANSGLOBAL UNDERGROUND LOOKEE HERE

Cheers

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

The Germans might label this Zeitgeist, its the now, emcompassing what is going on in the moment, the stuff that they skim in the news, proletariat observations from the streets and from the buses that drive down them, colloquial to the UK, but equally could be anywhere, possibly even Mexicans building a wall, self financed of course, .....Jason Williamson is an Urban Poet, like an Industrial Shaun Ryder backed by Sheep on Drugs with the one fingered keyboard player as opposed to the one armed boxer, gritty, brutal and funny, this one carries an '18'

SLEAFORD MODS - TIED UP IN NOTTZ

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

After that little outburst of profanity we do the aural equivalent of rinsing our ears out with a peppermint Indian head massage and nostril wax, Tim Buckley wrote it, Robert Plant covered it but THIS MORTAL COIL made it their own SONG TO THE SIREN, on a similar vibe BAND OF HORSES from Seattle, and the distictive voice of Ben Bridwell, they are a Rock band and a powerful one at that (mildly psychedelic) , the first two albums on the Sub pop label Everything all the time 2006 and Cease to begin 2007 is a great place to start, ...moving to Baltimore for more mid paced chugging Rock, Dave Heumann sounds like he's had elecution lessons from Ian Anderson, quiet pastoral Englishness from an American, if you can stay till the end the tone of his guitar solo and the key change belong over in the sublime thread, saw them in Plymouth UK, see them if you can.
THIS MORTAL COIL - SONG TO THE SIREN

BAND OF HORSES - FUNERAL

ARBOURETUM - FALSE SPRING

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

hairydot61 wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 7:01am
The Germans might label this Zeitgeist, its the now, emcompassing what is going on in the moment, the stuff that they skim in the news, proletariat observations from the streets and from the buses that drive down them, colloquial to the UK, but equally could be anywhere, possibly even Mexicans building a wall, self financed of course, .....Jason Williamson is an Urban Poet, like an Industrial Shaun Ryder backed by Sheep on Drugs with the one fingered keyboard player as opposed to the one armed boxer, gritty, brutal and funny, this one carries an '18'

I really dig them, they were quality when I saw them live last year. Jason is an absolute tour de force on stage. Not the type of band whose albums I'd sit and listen to but I love watching them perform.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 2:58am
hairydot61 wrote:

I really dig them, they were quality when I saw them live last year. Jason is an absolute tour de force on stage. Not the type of band whose albums I'd sit and listen to but I love watching them perform.
Profanity etc in songs is fine with rage and emotion but I find that Sleaford Mods use it way too much and it's off putting as it detracts from their music. So it's a no from me and they can fuck off.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

I will make an effort to see them live, the lyrics and performance for me paints vivid pictures of city Life, and life on the breadline, I couldn't live in those conditions because I'm a soft southerner but if you don't know how other people live the Seaford Mods tell you in entertaining style....Jason, ...Jason......Leave it! ;)
...whats the name of the band you play in Heston?

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 5:12am
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

Profanity etc in songs is fine with rage and emotion but I find that Sleaford Mods use it way too much and it's off putting as it detracts from their music. So it's a no from me and they can fuck off.
You surprise me MD, I thought you'd be right on that sound, theres a lot of humour in their songs, it may have a limited shelf life as simple as the arrangments and beats are but then that can always be expanded on, as Heston mentioned, its not really sitting down and listening music but as social comment its bloody hilarious, its a yes from me,....through to the next round :approve: , ...not that I watch it!.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 9:50am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

You surprise me MD, I thought you'd be right on that sound, theres a lot of humour in their songs, it may have a limited shelf life as simple as the arrangments and beats are but then that can always be expanded on, as Heston mentioned, its not really sitting down and listening music but as social comment its bloody hilarious, its a yes from me,....through to the next round :approve: , ...not that I watch it!.
The swearing detracts from the music instead of adding to it. When every other word is an expletive it becomes really dull.
If like say the way Rotten uses the "F" word in Bodies to express his rage and anger at a waste of a life then it works to full effect. But I really wanted to dig Sleaford Mods however the lyrics are tedious.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 10:12am
hairydot61 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 9:50am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

The swearing detracts from the music instead of adding to it. When every other word is an expletive it becomes really dull.
If like say the way Rotten uses the "F" word in Bodies to express his rage and anger at a waste of a life then it works to full effect. But I really wanted to dig Sleaford Mods however the lyrics are tedious.
I take your point about detracting fro the message, thing is I've actually worked with someone who used all that language, it became a barrier to our working relationship consdering that I work in the Care industry, absolutley it wasn't acceptable for the person we were supporting, something was done about it.
I can't personally stand too much of it but can take it in context, in the case of Sleaford Mods that appears to be their culture, you voted them off, thats the beauty of choice, they are a Marmite band :mrgreen:

Heston

Post by Heston »

hairydot61 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 9:43am
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

I will make an effort to see them live, the lyrics and performance for me paints vivid pictures of city Life, and life on the breadline, I couldn't live in those conditions because I'm a soft southerner but if you don't know how other people live the Seaford Mods tell you in entertaining style....Jason, ...Jason......Leave it! ;)
I've lived in those conditions because I'm an uncouth Northerner, though I do use words like "curated." ;)

My band's called The Panic Report.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

I've lived in those conditions because I'm an uncouth Northerner, though I do use words like "curated." ;)

[/quote]

That is a word that you don't hear often if ever, only heard it in the context of someone being asked to put some bands together for the Meltdown festival, bands and art, but I have added it to my soft southern canon.
Had a quick scope as I'm taking a break from smashing concrete to bits in the back garden and the Band sound solid and a great attitude, love those posters with Kane in, real zeitgeist :mrgreen: will keep em' peeled

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 11:41am
hairydot61 wrote:
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

I'm from the fucking south and trust me there are plenty of cunts here that fight just above the fucking breadline. Jobs maybe easier to fucking find down here but you try buying a fucking house here. Fuck fuck fuck shit cunt fuck.

Ooh look a southerner rich fucker. Owns his own doorstep the two bob cunt. Curate that! :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 12:55pm
Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 11:41am
hairydot61 wrote:
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

I'm from the fucking south and trust me there are plenty of cunts here that fight just above the fucking breadline. Jobs maybe easier to fucking find down here but you try buying a fucking house here. Fuck fuck fuck shit cunt fuck.

Ooh look a southerner rich fucker. Owns his own doorstep the two bob cunt. Curate that! :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: ;)