What should I be listening to right now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 1:49pm
I saw Love/Hate at the London Marquee in 1990, whoah the band could Rock, from the debut album Blackout in the Red room comes this ode to theeee Natty Dank, not heavy metal persee, they had hair and they played Rock.
LOVE/HATE WHY DO YOU THINK THEY CALL IT DOPE

Not a band I'm familiar with. I checked out the track on Youtube and it's not really my cup of tea but there are elements in their sound I do like. The late eighties/early nineties were full of bands like this. A band from that time who I think were totally underrated were Crazyhead.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

That track was sooo heavy it wouldn't come out of my buffer!, had to go off piste to get the full experience, I can't say I'm over familier with that track and it sounds like Extreme ripped em off for Get the Funk out or similar, I think I've got the CD Desert Orchid in the dusty old crates and I believe I saw em once possibly at the New cross venue long time, not bad
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 5:25pm
That track was sooo heavy it wouldn't come out of my buffer!, had to go off piste to get the full experience, I can't say I'm over familier with that track and it sounds like Extreme ripped em off for Get the Funk out or similar, I think I've got the CD Desert Orchid in the dusty old crates and I believe I saw em once possibly at the New cross venue long time, not bad
Yeah I've got "Desert Orchid" (named after the racehorse) on the reissued two disc edition. I saw them a couple times at the Reading Festival and the T & C Club.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

We may have been at the Festival at the same time, only went twice 1990 & 92, had a quick scope at the dates but Crazyhead didn't play those dates but it did remind me of a few bands I'd seen that I'd completely forgot about, did you go to many yourself?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 5:43pm
We may have been at the Festival at the same time, only went twice 1990 & 92, had a quick scope at the dates but Crazyhead didn't play those dates but it did remind me of a few bands I'd seen that I'd completely forgot about, did you go to many yourself?
Ha! yep every one from '78 - '96. I think there was a year in the 80's when there was no festival but I can't remember which year. Also went there as a small boy with my mum in '72 aged 7 and the headliners were The Faces, not that I could care all I wanted was an ice cream.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

That sounds like a good return for your money, you must have seen the shift from Rock to Indie over the time you went, it was originally called The Reading Rock Festival?, I do beleive its your stomping ground too :approve: got any favourites?.
Just going to pop this on the end, I Love everything about this track, it stunned me when I first heard it, funny why you don't hear it on the radio,
THE DOORS THE SOFT PARADE

. "Cobra on my Left Leopard on my Right!"

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

1978, my girlfriend at the time worked in Oxford St, commuting in from Plumstead in South East London, I asked her to get me XTC debut album from HMV I think.
XTC does Bob Dylan From WHITE MUSIC:
ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

Whoah!, Still have the Vinyl :mrgreen:

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Well, weve had a bit o' retro and its nice to look back at things that you may have discovered and may have forgotten, this next selection is a reflective gentle collection which I can eat in a whole sitting, its got some endearing qualities but also some unreqented love did me wrong issues, well handled though, the singer in this band who's voice I love released a solo album, he is Kristian Leontiou his solo album is Some Day Soon, gotta confess I was dissapointed with it, will give it another go tho, this particular post is ONE ESKIMO (self titled), hope you dig it

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 6:15am
That sounds like a good return for your money, you must have seen the shift from Rock to Indie over the time you went, it was originally called The Reading Rock Festival?, I do beleive its your stomping ground too :approve: got any favourites?.
Just going to pop this on the end, I Love everything about this track, it stunned me when I first heard it, funny why you don't hear it on the radio,
THE DOORS THE SOFT PARADE

. "Cobra on my Left Leopard on my Right!"
No it was originally called "The National Jazz festival" and it featured artists like Muddy Waters, The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds and it sarted in Richmond in 1961 then in 1964 it became "The National Jazz and Blues festival" then in 1966 it moved to Royal Windsor Racecourse, Berkshire and featured bands like The Faces, The Spencer Davis Group, The Who. Then in 1968 it moved again to Kempton Racecourse in Surrey and featured bands Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, The Nice, Black Sabbath. Then in 1971 it moves again to it's current resting place at Richfield avenue, Reading. I think it changed it's name from the Reading festival to the Reading Rock festival in 1975.

Favourites from the festivals.

My first proper festival :
1978 - The Jam/Sham 69/Tom Robinson Band/Penertration/John Ottway/Patti Smith
1979 - The Cure/The Police/The Ramones
Any time Thin Lizzy played they were always great. 1980 and the festival is more a heavy rock affair. Friday night was generally "new wave" night.

No festival for '84 and '85 the local conservative council banned the festival. As if I needed another reason to hate the tories. The '84 festival was held in Northampton.

1986 - Labour regain control of the council and top of the agenda is to re-instate the festival. Ask me again why I've always voted Labour. ;)
Killing Joke/The Mission/Dr. & the Medica/Hawkwind ( a great festival band)

1987 - The Fall/ The Stranglers/Alice Cooper
1988 - one of my favourite festivals : The Ramones/Iggy Pop/The Wonderstuff/ Squeeze/ and poor old Meatloaf getting bottled off stage twice. I didn't approve of that shit behaviour.

1989 (Mean Fiddler take over) - New Order/The Pogues/My Bloody Valentine/ Pop Will Eat Itself/Billy Bragg
1990 - The Cramps/The Pixies/Mudhoney/Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds/The Fall. Jane's Addiction fly in but don't play due to an apparent illness.
1991 - Iggy Pop/Sisters Of Mercy/Sonic Youth/Mercury Rev/Blur/Dinosaur Jnr.
1992 - Nirvana/Public Enemy/Manic Street Preachers

I've seen so many bands I could never list them all. Music is my passion and in my blood.

The Doors track you posted is great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

I knew the Festival had been going for a long time but the history you put up is new to me, little wonder its so popular, its great to know they started with Jazz & Blues, most Blues and some Jazz I can take, sounds like you were spoilt for choice all the times you went, the times I went had a great atmosphere and tolerant of new music, can't remember any bottling bands off when I was there, I remember being impressed by The Manic Street Preachers considering I hadn't heard much by them, thought Gary Clail was brilliant with the technology, loops and toasting, became a fan and still a fan, Faith No More were great mike patton complaining about doing War Pigs while singing it!, The Charlatans all bunched together like they were in someones front room right in the middle of the stage was quite funny, Public Enemy were explosive, I was gutted that Jane's addiction didn't show as it was one of the reasons I went along, Mudhoney were pretty good, and if you remember the Sunday night in 92' when Kurt Cobain was wheeled on in a wheelchair in a hospital gown had people scratching their heads, (relating to the music paper reports that he wasn't in a good way after being taken to hospital in Italy after a gig, I think?) the first couple of songs they did were really pedestrian and boring (at half speed?) It started raining and there was a mass exodus of people, I have to admit I was one of them due to it being 3 days in and I was pretty blasted for the usual festival reasons, on the way out I gave my wristband to a girl who was desperate to see the gig, I was in two minds for the posterity of the festival, but seriously she could have pushed me over and taken it if she'd wanted to :mrgreen:
I'd gone along with an American mate who tuffed it out and said it was a brilliant show and the band were fantasic, I was of course gutted and they don't have a kicking yerself in the arse emicon here.
Would have Loved to have seen Thin Lizzy, have had Live and Dangerous in the van for the last coupla weeks, you're really lucky to have the festival on your doorstep but I imagine the Town becomes roadblocked for the entirety of the weekend, we have the Boardmasters Festival in Cornwall and you may as well go out by push bike

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 7:40am
I knew the Festival had been going for a long time but the history you put up is new to me, little wonder its so popular, its great to know they started with Jazz & Blues, most Blues and some Jazz I can take, sounds like you were spoilt for choice all the times you went, the times I went had a great atmosphere and tolerant of new music, can't remember any bottling bands off when I was there, I remember being impressed by The Manic Street Preachers considering I hadn't heard much by them, thought Gary Clail was brilliant with the technology, loops and toasting, became a fan and still a fan, Faith No More were great mike patton complaining about doing War Pigs while singing it!, The Charlatans all bunched together like they were in someones front room right in the middle of the stage was quite funny, Public Enemy were explosive, I was gutted that Jane's addiction didn't show as it was one of the reasons I went along, Mudhoney were pretty good, and if you remember the Sunday night in 92' when Kurt Cobain was wheeled on in a wheelchair in a hospital gown had people scratching their heads, (relating to the music paper reports that he wasn't in a good way after being taken to hospital in Italy after a gig, I think?) the first couple of songs they did were really pedestrian and boring (at half speed?) It started raining and there was a mass exodus of people, I have to admit I was one of them due to it being 3 days in and I was pretty blasted for the usual festival reasons, on the way out I gave my wristband to a girl who was desperate to see the gig, I was in two minds for the posterity of the festival, but seriously she could have pushed me over and taken it if she'd wanted to :mrgreen:
I'd gone along with an American mate who tuffed it out and said it was a brilliant show and the band were fantasic, I was of course gutted and they don't have a kicking yerself in the arse emicon here.
Would have Loved to have seen Thin Lizzy, have had Live and Dangerous in the van for the last coupla weeks, you're really lucky to have the festival on your doorstep but I imagine the Town becomes roadblocked for the entirety of the weekend, we have the Boardmasters Festival in Cornwall and you may as well go out by push bike
Yeah the roads in and out of town are crazy from Thursday night onwards. Yep very spoilt with festival in walking distance but then Reading is a rock n roll town and all the greats have played here from The Stones to the Sex Pistols.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 7:40am
Yeah the roads in and out of town are crazy from Thursday night onwards. Yep very spoilt with festival in walking distance but then Reading is a rock n roll town and all the greats have played here from The Stones to the Sex Pistols.

I've always been around music and I do take it for granted. My mum went to school with Marriane Faithful. I can't imagine a life without music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Yes mate, I make Reading a Rock n' Roll town, got a lot of music history, lotta Young people going to the Uni there, its got a buzz about it, people need to Chill after all that Rock n' Roll, as an alternative here's a couple of Adrian Sherwood and Lee Scratch Perry tracks from a hard to find CD called DUBSETTER, Lovely Reggae/Dub

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (1977)

sorry not sorry
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Flex wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 8:16pm
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (1977)

sorry not sorry
It's a great album.

I must admit, about 20 years ago I was in a record store, grabbed a used CD copy, and when I went to the counter to pay, I got self conscious and put it back, as I didn't want to seem un-cool (fuck knows what my other purchase's were: prolly something cool). But I am a reformed man now: a proud, dyed-in-the-wool SRP.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs