The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Speaking of The Smiths...I've just heard this...and it is f*#@in' sublime...

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

...and this...

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

...and this!

I've never heard Johnny play these songs on his own before and I'm impressed. I think I'd rather hear Marr play them without Morrissey's voice than Morrissey play them without Marr's guitar.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 May 2018, 10:06am
I think I'd rather hear Marr play them without Morrissey's voice than Morrissey play them without Marr's guitar.
No-one can play it like Johnny Marr... but no-one can sing it like Morrissey. If only there was a way around this conundrum :)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
17 May 2018, 11:37am
WestwayKid wrote:
I think I'd rather hear Marr play them without Morrissey's voice than Morrissey play them without Marr's guitar.
No-one can play it like Johnny Marr... but no-one can sing it like Morrissey. If only there was a way around this conundrum :)
Marr isn't an asshole; Morrissey is. Conundrum solved. :approve:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
...and this!

I've never heard Johnny play these songs on his own before and I'm impressed. I think I'd rather hear Marr play them without Morrissey's voice than Morrissey play them without Marr's guitar.
Yeah I really like those. Now if Marr only had songs as strong as those on his solo albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:54pm
oliver wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
How do you know Marr isn't an asshole? Maybe not in public like Moz making a dick of himself but we don't really know how any of our musical kings and and queens are in their private life. The key is probably keeping it quiet.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
How do you know Marr isn't an asshole? Maybe not in public like Moz making a dick of himself but we don't really know how any of our musical kings and and queens are in their private life. The key is probably keeping it quiet.
You're right, of course, I don't know for certain, but assholes tend to be rather poor about hiding it. That is, private assholes tend to slip up. And I've never read anything unkind said about Marr, that he's an egomaniac, controlling, or bigot. His autobiography, while a bit dull, also didn't suggest an ugly character. All limited info, certainly, but we work with what we got.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:55pm
WestwayKid wrote:
...and this!

Yeah I really like those. Now if Marr only had songs as strong as those on his solo albums.
That first one, The Messenger, is quite good, apart from his weak voice.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
You're right, of course, I don't know for certain, but assholes tend to be rather poor about hiding it. That is, private assholes tend to slip up. And I've never read anything unkind said about Marr, that he's an egomaniac, controlling, or bigot. His autobiography, while a bit dull, also didn't suggest an ugly character. All limited info, certainly, but we work with what we got.
I'm just teasing of course but he always struck me as dull even when was interviewed during The Smiths period. Not that is a bad thing and I imagine he was more than happy to let ol' bigmouth strike again.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:55pm
WestwayKid wrote:
...and this!

That first one, The Messenger, is quite good, apart from his weak voice.
I agree on both counts. I wonder if he's ever thought of doing a complete album of instrumentals.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Quite a few people whose personalities appeal to me have said that Marr is as sound as he seems.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Quite a few people whose personalities appeal to me have said that Marr is as sound as he seems.
When The Smiths played Reading University back in the 80's I spoke with Johnny and Andy briefly and they both seemed decent guys.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:25pm
Silent Majority wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:

When The Smiths played Reading University back in the 80's I spoke with Johnny and Andy briefly and they both seemed decent guys.
The trend continues.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Maybe you're right. But Morrissey still sings those songs better than anyone.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps