The Gun Politics Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yes, Steve, sure. Fine, your choice: you're being cute or you're genuinely ignorant. And that is why your contributions here are little more than a sideshow. Plenty of people here like a good discussion, but we demand more than you can offer. See ya, sweetie.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Plenty of tyranny in the US that white gunfuckers aren't doing shit about. Capital's running of people's lives, cops killing black people indiscriminately, poisoned water. But at least they're keeping the King of England at bay.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

SteveSatch
Junco Partner

Post by SteveSatch »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 3:21pm
Yes, Steve, sure. Fine, your choice: you're being cute or you're genuinely ignorant. And that is why your contributions here are little more than a sideshow. Plenty of people here like a good discussion, but we demand more than you can offer. See ya, sweetie.
Keep your little self important for the 20 year olds in philosophy 101 at the school coffee shop discussion going. It means so much.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Going back to what’s important: Flex’s time.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 5:26pm
Flex's time to what? Pay? Repent? Say his last words? Be impeached? Buy me a present?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 5:30pm
Wolter wrote:
Flex's time to what? Pay? Repent? Say his last words? Be impeached? Buy me a present?
These are all good answers.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sadly, Flex Time will be just as unpleasantly dystopian as Bernie Time: http://www.iflscience.com/technology/20 ... sex-robot/
:idea: :disshame:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 6:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Sadly, Flex Time will be just as unpleasantly dystopian as Bernie Time: http://www.iflscience.com/technology/20 ... sex-robot/
:idea: :disshame:
Speaking of constitutional repeals, Flex should be repealed. I'll bet that limp noodle Souter would write an op-ed in support.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 12:41pm
http://www.citypages.com/news/rep-mary- ... /478026603

When your response strategy is to encourage your nation to hate and fear its kids, that should be a look-in-the-mirror moment if you have any kind of moral core.
Sorry, to quote myself but the Ingraham thing seems further apropos.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... d-shooting

How close is this getting to a Joseph Welch-Joe McCarthy “Have you no shame at last?” moment? That they think it's good strategy to mock and demonize kids whose crime is to want to minimize gun violence shows that the 2A crowd is unhinged. Are they capable of putting forward their position without foaming and jeering? If I were the PR adviser, the first thing I'd tell them is to shut the fuck up. Quit shrieking and seeking to make Americans hate their youth. But it's hard not to conclude that it's the only mode they have now. And when all you have left is hysteria and contempt, you're holding a losing hand, getting worse with every tantrum.

edit: Totally misremembered Welch's line. It's "At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 31 Mar 2018, 8:57am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Vermont Treads on Snakes; Trees of Liberty Begin Dying Without Enough Blood
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/30/us/v ... n-law.html

SteveSatch
Junco Partner

Post by SteveSatch »

Isn't Vermont already pretty much the safest state in the country with virtually no gun crime? But if it feels good to pass gun laws do it right? What's that about look out for look out for rules and regulations?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday ... /475554002

You tell those darned kids, Ted! I’ll tell you that your music freaking blows!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

SteveSatch
Junco Partner

Post by SteveSatch »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 9:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 12:41pm
http://www.citypages.com/news/rep-mary- ... /478026603

When your response strategy is to encourage your nation to hate and fear its kids, that should be a look-in-the-mirror moment if you have any kind of moral core.
Sorry, to quote myself but the Ingraham thing seems further apropos.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... d-shooting

How close is this getting to a Joseph Welch-Joe McCarthy “Have you no shame at last?” moment? That they think it's good strategy to mock and demonize kids whose crime is to want to minimize gun violence shows that the 2A crowd is unhinged. Are they capable of putting forward their position without foaming and jeering? If I were the PR adviser, the first thing I'd tell them is to shut the fuck up. Quit shrieking and seeking to make Americans hate their youth. But it's hard not to conclude that it's the only mode they have now. And when all you have left is hysteria and contempt, you're holding a losing hand, getting worse with every tantrum.

edit: Totally misremembered Welch's line. It's "At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"
Hogg is not a helpless child. He's fair game. He's attacking like a good little Nazi and hiding behind his age. He can't have it both ways. He's 17, not 7. He wants to be taken seriously like he knows what he's talking about but then hide behind his youth and not take any heat for attacking a basic human right.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

17 was still underage by law-of-the-land last I checked. Yes, he's a public figure by choosing and can be critiqued as such. But that does not mean he is unrestricted fair game like...in your words..."a good little Nazi" openly inviting a solid punch on the schnozz from a random stranger. If some critic feels like going too far exposing him, they're going to tangle with legal protections for minors having their privacy violated. You don't have to like that, but your beef is with 17 still being legally minor in the U.S. and that's not the least bit relevant to any gun politicking.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

SteveSatch wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 1:03pm
He wants to be taken seriously like he knows what he's talking about but then hide behind his youth and not take any heat for attacking a basic human right.

I assume you are speaking of the right to defend one’s self, correct? I think it’s exceedingly rare that anyone successfully defends themselves with a firearm. It’s just not practical. Unless you constantly keep a loaded weapon within arms reach at all times it is just not practical. To use a firearm properly one should be well trained, of stable mind, and take on full responsibility for that firearms stewardship. Why gun nuts disagree with some basic regulations that would ensure that we live in a civil society that is free from the fear of monthly massacres I will never understand. Instead we see the same play over and over again; a massacre happens, people get pissed that firearms are readily available to dangerous people, gun nuts throw a hissy fit, the news cycle passes, and we wait a few weeks for the next one. Maybe if firearms owners would realize that the NRA is just a lobbyist for businesses focused on profit and not a rights organization we’d all be better off.