Clash songs you can't stand

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23223
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by eumaas » 15 Feb 2018, 12:22pm

Philosophically I think I would prefer to relegate shit tracks to B-sides than to plop them in the middle of an album, but your mileage may vary.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75198
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Feb 2018, 12:30pm

eumaas wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:22pm
Philosophically I think I would prefer to relegate shit tracks to B-sides than to plop them in the middle of an album, but your mileage may vary.
They'd have to produce a lot of singles to accommodate so many iffy songs from the latter part of their career …
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23223
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by eumaas » 15 Feb 2018, 12:33pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:30pm
eumaas wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:22pm
Philosophically I think I would prefer to relegate shit tracks to B-sides than to plop them in the middle of an album, but your mileage may vary.
They'd have to produce a lot of singles to accommodate so many iffy songs from the latter part of their career …
Or briefer albums!

They could have just put out shit albums alongside the good ones. Give them sandpaper covers.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75198
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Feb 2018, 12:44pm

eumaas wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:30pm
eumaas wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:22pm
Philosophically I think I would prefer to relegate shit tracks to B-sides than to plop them in the middle of an album, but your mileage may vary.
They'd have to produce a lot of singles to accommodate so many iffy songs from the latter part of their career …
Or briefer albums!

They could have just put out shit albums alongside the good ones. Give them sandpaper covers.
Vini Reilly beat them to that gag. But, yeah, the idea of more songs as some kind of more-value-for-the-money principle assumes that all songs are of equal value. I'm good with a record of six songs if all six are strong and make sense as a collection. No need to tack on four more weak ones just for royalties and pricing. Oh, right, profitability …
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 15720
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by 101Walterton » 15 Feb 2018, 4:41pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:44pm
eumaas wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:30pm
eumaas wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:22pm
Philosophically I think I would prefer to relegate shit tracks to B-sides than to plop them in the middle of an album, but your mileage may vary.
They'd have to produce a lot of singles to accommodate so many iffy songs from the latter part of their career …
Or briefer albums!

They could have just put out shit albums alongside the good ones. Give them sandpaper covers.
Vini Reilly beat them to that gag. But, yeah, the idea of more songs as some kind of more-value-for-the-money principle assumes that all songs are of equal value. I'm good with a record of six songs if all six are strong and make sense as a collection. No need to tack on four more weak ones just for royalties and pricing. Oh, right, profitability …
I agree. Cost Of Living and Too Much Too Young EP's are two of my favourite records. Both perfect.

JoseUnidos
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1133
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 8:52am

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by JoseUnidos » 16 Feb 2018, 10:13am

The Card Cheat - overwrought Bruuuce-meets-Spector dud. It's awful.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://rjmiller.myportfolio.com

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 8678
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Inder » 16 Feb 2018, 11:28am

JoseUnidos wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 10:13am
The Card Cheat - overwrought Bruuuce-meets-Spector dud. It's awful.
That's more like it! Now we wait for someone to call Jimmy Jazz turgid.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75198
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Feb 2018, 11:34am

JoseUnidos wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 10:13am
The Card Cheat - overwrought Bruuuce-meets-Spector dud. It's awful.
I don't disagree with your description, but even as overwrought as it is, I dig it.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25865
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Flex » 16 Feb 2018, 11:54am

JoseUnidos wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 10:13am
overwrought Bruuuce-meets-Spector.
It's weird that you describe such a cool sounding song and then claim it's bad.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4692
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by muppet hi fi » 16 Feb 2018, 2:19pm

Inder wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 11:28am
JoseUnidos wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 10:13am
The Card Cheat - overwrought Bruuuce-meets-Spector dud. It's awful.
That's more like it! Now we wait for someone to call Jimmy Jazz turgid.
Hey chief, that's no way to talk! He's a cool dude. Just cuz he likes Bruce...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20405
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by matedog » 16 Feb 2018, 2:29pm

Flex wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 11:54am
JoseUnidos wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 10:13am
overwrought Bruuuce-meets-Spector.
It's weird that you describe such a cool sounding song and then claim it's bad.
:cool:

Card Cheat is stellar.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dunster
User avatar
Dirty Punk
Posts: 82
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:06pm
Location: Garageland

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Dunster » 16 Feb 2018, 4:31pm

They kind of went downhill after '1977'.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8525
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Kory » 16 Feb 2018, 4:32pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 9:12pm
Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 9:05pm
Heston wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 8:10pm
Hitsville and Overpowered By Funk are great songs.
Hitsville is a great song marred by terrible production. OBF is just fine by me, except for Futura's bit.
Racist.

I kid. But you're under suspicion coming from the Pacific Northwest. :shifty:
Because of the Sir Mix-a-lot connection?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75198
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Feb 2018, 4:48pm

Kory wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 9:12pm
Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 9:05pm
Heston wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 8:10pm
Hitsville and Overpowered By Funk are great songs.
Hitsville is a great song marred by terrible production. OBF is just fine by me, except for Futura's bit.
Racist.

I kid. But you're under suspicion coming from the Pacific Northwest. :shifty:
Because of the Sir Mix-a-lot connection?
Image
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8525
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Kory » 16 Feb 2018, 6:36pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 4:48pm
Kory wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 9:12pm
Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 9:05pm
Heston wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 8:10pm
Hitsville and Overpowered By Funk are great songs.
Hitsville is a great song marred by terrible production. OBF is just fine by me, except for Futura's bit.
Racist.

I kid. But you're under suspicion coming from the Pacific Northwest. :shifty:
Because of the Sir Mix-a-lot connection?
Image
Oh that. I thought you were making a rap connection. I don't look good in white, no worries.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests