The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter »

Though, on reflection, I can’t discount that it could very well be from the STS sessions in the final form.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 7:42pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 7:07pm
Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 6:54pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 4:55pm
Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 1:26am
Lot of good outtakes from that era. “After Today” and the cover of “It’s Hard To Be Saint In the City” come to mind.
"Saint In the City" was a bit later I think, from the 'Station to Station' sessions. But yeah - how did the YA sessions version of "John, I'm Only Dancing" not make it? To be fair, you sort of need the full length version to get the full on, manic, coke in the disco effect, and it wouldn't fit on an LP. The edits of it don't nearly do it justice.
Got to pull my Bowie pedant card. Saint actually likely predates the bulk of the Young Americans sessions. Probably first recorded in late 74. POSSIBLY re-recorded during the Station sessions.
Maybe you're thinking of the other Bruce song he did after the 'Diamond Dogs' sessions, "Growin' Up". The version I have of "Saint" is on the 'Sound and Vision' box, and it lists Davis and Murray as the rhythm section, recorded in LA and not Philly or NYC (and it clearly is, as I know their work as well as I know Willy Weeks and Andy Newmark's work). Or maybe you have a different version (I admit I only know the version on Sound and Vision, the remaster).
I’m offended that you think I’d confuse the two. I’m sourcing it from Chris O’Leary’s exhaustive Pushing Ahead of the Dame. https://www.google.com/amp/s/bowiesongs ... -city/amp/
That's a great site (I think it was you who turned me on to it) but even Chris isn't sure when/where it was recorded. I still maintain, purely on a sonic basis, that the officialy released version is from around the time of the Station to Station sessions in LA.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 8:21pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

"Saint In the City" was a bit later I think, from the 'Station to Station' sessions. But yeah - how did the YA sessions version of "John, I'm Only Dancing" not make it? To be fair, you sort of need the full length version to get the full on, manic, coke in the disco effect, and it wouldn't fit on an LP. The edits of it don't nearly do it justice.
Got to pull my Bowie pedant card. Saint actually likely predates the bulk of the Young Americans sessions. Probably first recorded in late 74. POSSIBLY re-recorded during the Station sessions.
Maybe you're thinking of the other Bruce song he did after the 'Diamond Dogs' sessions, "Growin' Up". The version I have of "Saint" is on the 'Sound and Vision' box, and it lists Davis and Murray as the rhythm section, recorded in LA and not Philly or NYC (and it clearly is, as I know their work as well as I know Willy Weeks and Andy Newmark's work). Or maybe you have a different version (I admit I only know the version on Sound and Vision, the remaster).
I’m offended that you think I’d confuse the two. I’m sourcing it from Chris O’Leary’s exhaustive Pushing Ahead of the Dame. https://www.google.com/amp/s/bowiesongs ... -city/amp/
That's a great site (I think it was you who turned me on to it) but even Chris isn't sure when/where it was recorded. I still maintain, purely on a sonic basis, that the officialy released version is from around the time of the Station to Station sessions in LA.
I remain open to the possibility.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 7:57pm
Though, on reflection, I can’t discount that it could very well be from the STS sessions in the final form.
And upon reflection, I concede that the basic track could have been recorded at the tail end of the Young Americans sessions, when David decamped from Philly to NYC to fuck around with Lennon and record "Fame" and "Across the Universe", both with Dennis Davis on drums, though not George Murray on bass (I forget the bassists name). So yeah, maybe the basic track NYC, the finished track (surely at least the lead vox) later in LA?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:02pm
Wolter wrote:
And upon reflection, I concede that the basic track could have been recorded at the tail end of the Young Americans sessions, when David decamped from Philly to NYC to fuck around with Lennon and record "Fame" and "Across the Universe", both with Dennis Davis on drums, though not George Murray on bass (I forget the bassists name). So yeah, maybe the basic track NYC, the finished track (surely at least the lead vox) later in LA?
That seems imminently possible.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:05pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
OK, for the real nerd-off: who plays guitar on David's "Growin' Up"? (no fair looking it up - it should be obvious!).

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:09pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
OK, for the real nerd-off: who plays guitar on David's "Growin' Up"? (no fair looking it up - it should be obvious!).
That’s Ronno.

And by Ronno, I mean Ronnie. Wood.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:29pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:09pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
That’s Ronno.

And by Ronno, I mean Ronnie. Wood.
Good ear, kid. Good ear! Supposedly Woody also wrote, or at least inspired, the riffs for "Diamond Dogs" and "Rebel Rebel". He and David were apparently hanging out a lot in '73-'74; the session at Woody's house where the basic track for "It's Only Rock n' Roll" was written (music by Wood) and recorded, featured Bowie on bv's on the chorus, and Willie Weeks (from Young Americans sessions) on bass . Willie has said when he first got to Woody's house, George Harrison was sitting at the kitchen table having a cup of tea; when Weeks first met Woody, his first words were "Hey man, do you know you have a Beatle sitting in your kitchen?"). :cool:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 10:43am
What are your thoughts on this? https://pitchfork.com/news/car-seat-hea ... n-special/

I heard a snippet of Billy Corgan ruining Space Oddity, so I don't know if I cand give it a listen. Stern is evidently a huge Bowie fan, though, so his intentions are noble. I have a well-documented hatred of Corgan's voice, so I may be biased.
I don't think I could possibly care less about this.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 1:26am
Lot of good outtakes from that era. “After Today” and the cover of “It’s Hard To Be Saint In the City” come to mind.
I'm dying for his follow ups to Rebel Rebel.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 3:36pm
JennyB wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 10:43am
What are your thoughts on this? https://pitchfork.com/news/car-seat-hea ... n-special/

I heard a snippet of Billy Corgan ruining Space Oddity, so I don't know if I cand give it a listen. Stern is evidently a huge Bowie fan, though, so his intentions are noble. I have a well-documented hatred of Corgan's voice, so I may be biased.
I don't think I could possibly care less about this.
I listened to some of it. There is some band called Greta Van Fleet whose lead singer sounds just like Robert Plant. They covered Jean Jeanie and it was...ok.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

grandmas now, but hubba hubba

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »