IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 7:48pm
revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 7:09pm
Hey Doc

Have you thought about getting one of those fat tire bikes? Ive been seeing peope riding them around in the snow. Im giving it some serious thought. I do nothing in the winter.
I've casually chatted about those tires with a bike shop guy, but it's not my thing. I bike for speed (well, punishment, actually) and those tires are utilitarian. Great for winter biking, but not for speed at all. If you're look to bike for exercise in the winter, I'd recommend some kind of stationery set-up.
From what I've been reading they certainly are slower but that they also tend to require more effort and so can provide a good workout. I might try the stationary setup for my current bike its a much cheaper investment.
I prefer a trainer to hook up an outdoor bike than any kind of permanent stationery bike. It's a better simulation of a real ride. The only upside of the stationery is the seats are wider and better padded.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 9:03pm
revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 7:48pm
revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 7:09pm
Hey Doc

Have you thought about getting one of those fat tire bikes? Ive been seeing peope riding them around in the snow. Im giving it some serious thought. I do nothing in the winter.
I've casually chatted about those tires with a bike shop guy, but it's not my thing. I bike for speed (well, punishment, actually) and those tires are utilitarian. Great for winter biking, but not for speed at all. If you're look to bike for exercise in the winter, I'd recommend some kind of stationery set-up.
From what I've been reading they certainly are slower but that they also tend to require more effort and so can provide a good workout. I might try the stationary setup for my current bike its a much cheaper investment.
I prefer a trainer to hook up an outdoor bike than any kind of permanent stationery bike. It's a better simulation of a real ride. The only upside of the stationery is the seats are wider and better padded.
Yeah ill probably go with a trainer and get a better seat. I also need to do something with my handlebars. I need to raise them up

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 9:14pm
Yeah ill probably go with a trainer and get a better seat. I also need to do something with my handlebars. I need to raise them up
I upgraded to a trainer where the resistance is on the rims, not the actual tire, and it's so much better. You don't have to change tires (to something entirely smooth) and it's a much cleaner and quieter ride. And I just use a gel seat cover to protect my delicate hiney.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 9:31pm
revbob wrote:
I upgraded to a trainer where the resistance is on the rims, not the actual tire, and it's so much better. You don't have to change tires (to something entirely smooth) and it's a much cleaner and quieter ride. And I just use a gel seat cover to protect my delicate hiney.
Can you recommend or highlight things to look for in a trainer? For what it is worth I only have a 21 speed my bike.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 9:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Can you recommend or highlight things to look for in a trainer? For what it is worth I only have a 21 speed my bike.
3 stripes, good arch support, subtle colours and ideally comes with another matching trainer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 9:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I'm far from an expert on these things. Whenever I get my bike tuned up, bike people start talking the lingo like they think I should know, but I'm a dope. The trainer I got was used but it was the kind, as I mention above, where the resistance is against the rims, rather than the tire riding on a resistant roller. The latter means you'd need a smooth tire, separate from your usual road tire. I found it was louder plus the pain in the ass of switching out tires. The rim style means you don't have to switch and it runs smoother. I wouldn't buy new if you can avoid it. I think I spent $40 on mine, but it retailed for closer to $200.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

50.5W has a Commonwealth Games trial tonight. She may only have just turned 17 but this is the real deal 😊

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 4:12pm
50.5W has a Commonwealth Games trial tonight. She may only have just turned 17 but this is the real deal 😊
Good luck!
What are her events again? PV?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 4:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
Good luck!
Yep pole vault. Won a warm up comp on Thursday night with new pb. She won’t win tonight (up against 2 Olympians including bronze medalist) but doesn’t have to win just give qualifying a good crack

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 4:35pm
matedog wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 4:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
Good luck!
Yep pole vault. Won a warm up comp on Thursday night with new pb. She won’t win tonight (up against 2 Olympians including bronze medalist) but doesn’t have to win just give qualifying a good crack
Fantastic, best of luck to her.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Cheers Lax, came 4th in comp but 3rd in trial ( the Aussies don’t count).
Was a whisker away from beating the Aussie senior champion!!!
Into the big time now the paper printed a big article on her and photo on front of the Sports section and got first offer of sponsorship as a brand ambassador.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 3:15am
Into the big time now the paper printed a big article on her and photo on front of the Sports section and got first offer of sponsorship as a brand ambassador.
Brilliant stuff. How many qualify for the Games?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 3:27am
101Walterton wrote:
It’s complicated. Bottom line is at this stage she hasn’t made the qualification height.
There is a Comm Games qualifying height (she is just under) then NZ have their own A and B standards which unfortunately are much higher. On top of that there is a limit on the # of athletes they can have in the whole track and field team ( which I think is only 19) and how many in each event (3 but so far only 2 qualified in PV).
There are other factors e.g. one of the PVs gets automatic entry as she won Olympic bronze so in theory she may not be counted in team quota etc..

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 6:09pm
laxman wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 3:27am
101Walterton wrote:
It’s complicated. Bottom line is at this stage she hasn’t made the qualification height.
There is a Comm Games qualifying height (she is just under) then NZ have their own A and B standards which unfortunately are much higher. On top of that there is a limit on the # of athletes they can have in the whole track and field team ( which I think is only 19) and how many in each event (3 but so far only 2 qualified in PV).
There are other factors e.g. one of the PVs gets automatic entry as she won Olympic bronze so in theory she may not be counted in team quota etc..
Sounds very complicated. I assume she is a very long way from reaching her peak in terms of age? What tends to be the peak age - late 20s?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Definitely. This years Comm Games was never a realistic goal she is targeting Under 20 World Champs in Finland in July which she is qualified for.
Tokyo Olympics probably too soon so Birmingham Comm Games 2022 is most likely.
PV very technical and strength based so yes she is 10 years away from peaking and vaulters often st their best in 30’s.
She still has another year in school so no rush.
Her coach doesn’t even let her do the same weights as the seniors in training.