IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:20pm
Good work and excellent use of the training diary.
Thanks! And it's the archivist in me. I need to record and make order from these activities. Honestly, I'd probably bike a lot less if I weren't keeping track of things, to spur me on and chastise me when I'm slipping. No one else will ever see the spreadsheet but me, but I just have to do it to stay honest.
When you are winter training don’t all those teenagers chained to the wall put you off?
Nah, it inspires me. Look at this old man staying in shape, you damned punk kids!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:20pm
Good work and excellent use of the training diary.
Thanks! And it's the archivist in me. I need to record and make order from these activities. Honestly, I'd probably bike a lot less if I weren't keeping track of things, to spur me on and chastise me when I'm slipping. No one else will ever see the spreadsheet but me, but I just have to do it to stay honest.
When you are winter training don’t all those teenagers chained to the wall put you off?
Nah, it inspires me. Look at this old man staying in shape, you damned punk kids!
I keep a training diary and have notebooks going 10 years of every run and every time I go to the gym. It is as much OCD as anything else, I can’t stop doing it.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:04pm
matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:06pm
Aaaaaand I just had my last outdoor ride of the year. The last three days were warm enough and mostly favourable enough winds that I was able push up my average speed for the year. Personal bests in every category—total kilometres, average speed, single ride, number of rides. Ended up knocking off 21 seconds from an average ride time from last year. If I can knock off another 5 lbs and maintain a solid biking routine in the basement this winter, I think I can improve on average pace next year, but everything else is going to be tough to match.

My goal this winter in basement riding is to focus less on average speed than on upping the distance for each ride from 16km to 20km. I'm hoping that'll be better for my stamina for when I get back to it next spring. It's the first month or so readjusting to outside riding that compromises my overall pace, so I want to be able to go in with better stamina right off the bat. If I can do somewhere between 2500 and 3000 km this winter, I'll be satisfied on that front.
Oof, how long is indoor season?
Minimum six months. I don't know if I've ever started the outdoor riding season before 1 May (this year it was especially late, 15 May). So I can figure on November to April, plus the remainder of this month and probably some into May. If I can average 23 days of basement riding a month, that gets me over 2500 km with plenty to spare.
Man, Canada really is a frozen tundra most of time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:04pm
matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:06pm
Aaaaaand I just had my last outdoor ride of the year. The last three days were warm enough and mostly favourable enough winds that I was able push up my average speed for the year. Personal bests in every category—total kilometres, average speed, single ride, number of rides. Ended up knocking off 21 seconds from an average ride time from last year. If I can knock off another 5 lbs and maintain a solid biking routine in the basement this winter, I think I can improve on average pace next year, but everything else is going to be tough to match.

My goal this winter in basement riding is to focus less on average speed than on upping the distance for each ride from 16km to 20km. I'm hoping that'll be better for my stamina for when I get back to it next spring. It's the first month or so readjusting to outside riding that compromises my overall pace, so I want to be able to go in with better stamina right off the bat. If I can do somewhere between 2500 and 3000 km this winter, I'll be satisfied on that front.
Oof, how long is indoor season?
Minimum six months. I don't know if I've ever started the outdoor riding season before 1 May (this year it was especially late, 15 May). So I can figure on November to April, plus the remainder of this month and probably some into May. If I can average 23 days of basement riding a month, that gets me over 2500 km with plenty to spare.
That is why you need a suit made from teenagers skin.
It all happens in the basement away from prying eyes!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
And we're only an hour from the New York border—it was much worse when we were in Saskatoon. It'd be better if I were a jogger, but cycling generates a lot of air movement, so the effect of cool air gets magnified. There is such a difference between 15º and 20º and 25º in terms of my leg strength and stamina. I really hate cycling in anything under 15º because my legs feel leaden. Hot and humid and no wind is ideal.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:44pm
matedog wrote:
And we're only an hour from the New York border—it was much worse when we were in Saskatoon. It'd be better if I were a jogger, but cycling generates a lot of air movement, so the effect of cool air gets magnified. There is such a difference between 15º and 20º and 25º in terms of my leg strength and stamina. I really hate cycling in anything under 15º because my legs feel leaden. Hot and humid and no wind is ideal.
Ah that makes sense. Running, I just start off fast to warm my body up. Haven't done too many sub-freezing runs, but I do remember the cold air hurting a bit.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Signed up for the 2018 Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 6:41pm
Signed up for the 2018 Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
When is it? (I don't feel like looking it up). I know you got kin over there, but you should pay a visit to da dog. We could watch Papa Roach videos.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 6:46pm
Flex wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 6:41pm
When is it? (I don't feel like looking it up). I know you got kin over there, but you should pay a visit to da dog. We could watch Papa Roach videos.
July 15. I'll try to be out for a few days, so for sure let's try to have 90s jamboree
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Hey Doc

Have you thought about getting one of those fat tire bikes? Ive been seeing peope riding them around in the snow. Im giving it some serious thought. I do nothing in the winter.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 7:09pm
Hey Doc

Have you thought about getting one of those fat tire bikes? Ive been seeing peope riding them around in the snow. Im giving it some serious thought. I do nothing in the winter.
I've casually chatted about those tires with a bike shop guy, but it's not my thing. I bike for speed (well, punishment, actually) and those tires are utilitarian. Great for winter biking, but not for speed at all. If you're look to bike for exercise in the winter, I'd recommend some kind of stationery set-up.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
Hey Doc

Are they the ones you use for riding on sand.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 7:57pm
revbob wrote:
Hey Doc

Probably, tho here it's snow or super rough terrain. Those tires are probably about 5" wide and super spongy.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 7:48pm
revbob wrote:
Hey Doc

I've casually chatted about those tires with a bike shop guy, but it's not my thing. I bike for speed (well, punishment, actually) and those tires are utilitarian. Great for winter biking, but not for speed at all. If you're look to bike for exercise in the winter, I'd recommend some kind of stationery set-up.
From what I've been reading they certainly are slower but that they also tend to require more effort and so can provide a good workout. I might try the stationary setup for my current bike its a much cheaper investment.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 7:57pm
revbob wrote:
Hey Doc

Yeah sand, snow and other terrains not suitable for a mountain bike.