Acoustic versions

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Acoustic versions

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From Deadspin's Drew Magary's mailbag:
Q: Has there ever been an acoustic version of a song that is better than the original? I believe the answer is no.

A: The answer is EXTREMELY no. This is part of the reason that growing up in the ‘90s was fucking terrible. Not only did I have to contend with sports almanacs and shitty Bud Bowls, but it was the heyday of MTV Unplugged and muso assholes being like THIS SONG IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER DONE ACOUSTIC. That was never true. That show was an hour of toilet sounds.

Music people will tell you that stripping a song down to its acoustic elements reveals its strengths and weakness. And that’s true, but I also don’t give the barest of shits. Why would I want a song I normally enjoy to be exposed as horrifically flawed? Cover that shit in WAVES of distortion, please. In fact, they should electrify every original acoustic album. I heard enough James Taylor this Christmas to know loud guitars can’t possibly make things worse.
https://adequateman.deadspin.com/i-am-n ... 1821905317

I'm completely blanking here, but there have to be some obvious examples of a stripped down being better. Have at it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 3:43pm
Q: Has there ever been an acoustic version of a song that is better than the original? I believe the answer is no.

A: The answer is EXTREMELY no. This is part of the reason that growing up in the ‘90s was fucking terrible. Not only did I have to contend with sports almanacs and shitty Bud Bowls, but it was the heyday of MTV Unplugged and muso assholes being like THIS SONG IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER DONE ACOUSTIC. That was never true. That show was an hour of toilet sounds.

Music people will tell you that stripping a song down to its acoustic elements reveals its strengths and weakness. And that’s true, but I also don’t give the barest of shits. Why would I want a song I normally enjoy to be exposed as horrifically flawed? Cover that shit in WAVES of distortion, please. In fact, they should electrify every original acoustic album. I heard enough James Taylor this Christmas to know loud guitars can’t possibly make things worse.

I'm completely blanking here, but there have to be some obvious examples of a stripped down being better. Have at it.
Alice in Chains, most definitely.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

One that I remember that was interesting and pretty good was The Cure. David Bowie did quite a few acoustic shows around 1996-97 and while they were good it was more of a curiosity, the versions weren't better they were just different.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Alice in Chains, most definitely.
I do not agree with this post when it comes to anything on Dirt.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

How about the Gary Jules version of Mad World in Donnie Darko?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:05pm
Original TFF is better.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:19pm
laxman wrote:
Original TFF is better.
I nearly said that in my post, but then I would have ruined my own suggestion!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:50pm
Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:19pm
laxman wrote:
Original TFF is better.
I nearly said that in my post, but then I would have ruined my own suggestion!
The truth will set you free!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

In fact, some may say the opposite is true. Is there an acoustic equivalent of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 7:15pm
Of all the Hestons who ever Hestoned, you are the Hestonest.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 4:37pm
...more of a curiosity, the versions weren't better they were just different.
I think I fall into this camp for the most part.

Now I have to saw as much as I might respect Crass I dont really care to listen to them. I do however love Jeffrey Lewis doing his stripped down acoustic covers of Crass songs.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

All your acoustical hottakez belong to me.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Absolutely. There are two general ways that acoustic versions can be superior.
1. Stripping away dated or poor production can shine a light on a melodies or lyrics. In 1990, Bruce played his very first acoustic shows in which he debuted a lot of material from Human Touch. These versions are way better than what ended up on that appropriately maligned album. There are probably a lot of decent examples from the late 80's/early 90's, but all I can come up with are Warrant songs. :disshame:
2. Spirited live performances that have an energy the studio recordings lack. This isn't necessarily inherent to the acoustic format, but it happens:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 8:21pm
coffeepotman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 4:37pm
...more of a curiosity, the versions weren't better they were just different.
I think I fall into this camp for the most part.

Now I have to saw as much as I might respect Crass I dont really care to listen to them. I do however love Jeffrey Lewis doing his stripped down acoustic covers of Crass songs.
I do love those versions for making the songs more palatable to others, but that’s definitely an apples to hand grenades comparison.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"