FAO Hoy

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 10:05am
Spiff wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 9:51pm
Hey Matey,

I finally got around to watching a DVD of The Rise and Fall of The Clash.

Please tell me, because I've forgotten, what your contribution was to that fine film.

Thanks.
The main things were interviewing Rudy and Pearl. I also helped with like providing bootlegs and stuff for some tracks they ended up using (Hate and War from that Leceister 77 show for example).
That is super cool. What a great experience. How did that come to be?
Danny Garcia was researching live tracks and 1984 footage that he could use and messaged me on youtube about a bunch of the uploads on my channel. We did a ton of back and forth as the project was developing. He needed someone to interview Pearl in LA and they asked me to go down. Rudy lives near me and he came down since I guess he knows her as well, so we interviewed both on the same day. I had met Rudy at Bay Area Clash events like Strummerville a number of times, but had never met Pearl. She was as cool as you would imagine and her house was filled with the coolest vintage stuff. My friend is a director and he hooked me up with a camera man who ended up flaking. I called my director friend up that morning and he came out and filmed it. He didn't have a tripod on him, so those interviews are a little shakier than the others, but it actually doesn't look too bad.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I was inspired(?) to revisit the discussion thread for the film (starting in the low page 30s) and experience again the frustration of those who didn't watch the movie but were nonetheless disappointed and betrayed by it. The miasma of the Clash really can't be contained.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 11:35am
JennyB wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 10:05am
Spiff wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 9:51pm
Hey Matey,

I finally got around to watching a DVD of The Rise and Fall of The Clash.

Please tell me, because I've forgotten, what your contribution was to that fine film.

Thanks.
The main things were interviewing Rudy and Pearl. I also helped with like providing bootlegs and stuff for some tracks they ended up using (Hate and War from that Leceister 77 show for example).
That is super cool. What a great experience. How did that come to be?
Danny Garcia was researching live tracks and 1984 footage that he could use and messaged me on youtube about a bunch of the uploads on my channel. We did a ton of back and forth as the project was developing. He needed someone to interview Pearl in LA and they asked me to go down. Rudy lives near me and he came down since I guess he knows her as well, so we interviewed both on the same day. I had met Rudy at Bay Area Clash events like Strummerville a number of times, but had never met Pearl. She was as cool as you would imagine and her house was filled with the coolest vintage stuff. My friend is a director and he hooked me up with a camera man who ended up flaking. I called my director friend up that morning and he came out and filmed it. He didn't have a tripod on him, so those interviews are a little shakier than the others, but it actually doesn't look too bad.
That is fantastic. Thanks for that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 8:33pm
David Crosby to Hoy: Drop Dead
https://www.spin.com/2018/01/david-cros ... fer-music/
Crosby is a boring fat fucker who makes boring fat fucker music.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
LOL @ his take on Fleet Foxes "Could use some better songs."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 8:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Titus Andronicus are much better than David Crosby.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 4:01pm
revbob wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 8:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Titus Andronicus are much better than David Crosby.
Seriously. The guy who wrote the lyric "Our house is a very, very, very fine house" doesn't have much room to talk smack.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I actually like David Crosby's music just fine, and his Twitter persona is hilarious. But he's off base on Titus Andronicus (tho amusingly so).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

This campaign was plastered all over every ad slot in the subway car I was riding in this afternoon:

Then I looked at what they actually do...https://www.openbiome.org/.

Yup, Dr. Hoy opened up Greater Boston's first ever full-service stool bank donation center. Across the street from the Commie bar in Cambridge where Flex, Boddington, and I got shitfaced two springs ago before drunk-dialing eumaas. And they're offering cash rewards at $40 a *plop* for your Hanky loaf if you sign on for a 2-month, 3 shits-per-week stint at their dropoff location. Provided you follow the proper brown rice dietary restrictions...and, please ladies, no fatties allowed.

On the way back, I was riding in another subway car with another one of these same Heroic Shitter ads from the series. This one where the 2D-cutout cartoon Hoy stand-in flashing the "Eyyyyyy!" thumbs-up woke up, had a vigorous 2k morning run, took a magnificent beast unit of a dump, then totally aced the sales presentation that got him the big promotion. In that...exact...cause-effect...sequence.

On the next ad slot over on the other side of the door was this:
Mind-Body Study of Irritable Bowel Syndrome

(with below morose-colon sad piccy...)
...wherein you can volunteer to be paid in cash to take a bunch of placebo sugar pills and meditate over yoga or something like that, with a study objective aiming to prove that conquering IBS is a mind-over-matter battle. Or, scientifically speaking, activate the right neurotransmitters in your brain's primordial soup through positive thinking to cure your Crippling Ass Depression forever so you no longer shart involuntarily while suffering through unbearable gas pain.

Thus, apparently, allowing you to be the championship-caliber manure factory you always in your most self-actualized dreams wanted to be...such that you can earn a 401(k)'s worth of nest egg pooping into a bottle for months on end at the friendly local stool bank concern in the next ad slot over (a joint venture of CompuHoyGlobal Chemical Manufacturing LLC and Matsumura Fishworks™).

:shifty:

Goddamnit, Hoy's figured out how to monetize his shit!! :curses1:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Seriously. Whenever I see an ad about some pooping treatment or some such, I immediately connect it to Hoy. Well done, son, you're a shit god in my books.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 6:49pm
Did you have to cut and Paiste that. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...