MLB 2017

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: MLB 2017

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 12:17pm
Wolter wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 7:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 5:57pm
Cardinals blew it by sending him local cuisine to tempt him. Someone should get fired over that.
Can’t imagine why he wouldn’t want to play in a city that is surely not at all racist or homophobic to literally every player who rejects them in any way.
AHAHAHAHAHA!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

God bless the Kansas City Athletics of Miami! A peaked Castro and a low-A ball "lower end of Top 100" prospect for Stanton because. . .

1) ...the Yankees were the literal only team picking up the phone capable of absorbing his full salary without going over the luxury tax. The Dodgers reportedly made a much better offer, but had to shed more salary as a prereq for pulling it off. Which meant it wouldn't have gotten done before the Winter Meetings when the Marlins had to report to the other owners how absolutely fucqued their debt situation is, so they had to take-it-or-leave-it now on the deal with the fewest moving parts.

2) ...the Marlins could defer to 2020 any money they were kicking back on Stanton's contract because that's the year of his opt-out, and the deal was made conditional on the Marlins only cutting checks if Stanton doesn't opt out. Something LA and the teams over the tax couldn't do because they need those payroll offsets in '18 not '20, but the Yankees immediately could. Which means he's insured (to some TBD degree) if his performance doesn't add up to where he'd be chasing a similar deal in opt-out as Bryce Harper...yay, albatross protection!

All 29 other owners voted Jeets in despite his ownership group taking on so much debt they transparently and preemptively can't pay their own modest-sized payroll. This was their alls flea-market strip-mine deal; the Yankees just happened to be the one team sitting on elastic enough payroll + system flexibility to take immediate predatory advantage (speaking of shades-of-KC A's). This stinking predictable mess in Miami is on the heads of all of MLB.
Last edited by Rat Patrol on 10 Dec 2017, 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Fat Mike's eyes will be as wide as saucers at the idea of losing his DH in the 13th inning so he can throw the guy 10 pitches of relief between starts for a gassed bullpen...then be stuck pinch-hitting the backup catcher in the bottom of the 14th with the game on the line. It's like planting the manager's face within a whisker of a giant mountain of coke. I honestly can't wait to see what happens the first time he caves to temptation.

Also...LOL at Poo-holes being forced to play first base again.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Rat Patrol wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 2:13pm
I honestly can't wait
I agree with you on that part.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Jack Morris and Alan Trammell make the HOF under the new Veterans Committee replacement...because they're good enough, white enough, powered by beer-and-greenies and not arbitrarily EVIL PED's enough, and thus clutch enough to KNOW HOW TO WIN DAMNIT!

#MMLBHOFGA

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Trammell - deserved
Morris - nope
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 2:14pm
Trammell - deserved
Morris - nope
Trammell definitely deserved it; Morris was someone I didn't especially care about either way. The outrage is that these fucking players didn't elect Marvin Miller. Hey, assholes, he convinced you numbnuts to realize the value of your labour and now your great-grandchildren are set up comfortably. Somehow Bud fucking Selig is in the HoF and not Marvin Miller. Jesus Christ, this Hall.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 3:03pm
Wolter wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 2:14pm
Trammell - deserved
Morris - nope
Trammell definitely deserved it; Morris was someone I didn't especially care about either way. The outrage is that these fucking players didn't elect Marvin Miller. Hey, assholes, he convinced you numbnuts to realize the value of your labour and now your great-grandchildren are set up comfortably. Somehow Bud fucking Selig is in the HoF and not Marvin Miller. Jesus Christ, this Hall.
Agree 100%.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 4:29pm
Which is dumb. He has an opt-out in, I think, three years. My understanding is Jeets told him that if he didn't accept a trade, they'd just trade everyone else not making minimum salary, so he could expect to play for teams losing 100+ games a year for the foreseeable future.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 4:37pm
Inder wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 4:29pm
Which is dumb. He has an opt-out in, I think, three years. My understanding is Jeets told him that if he didn't accept a trade, they'd just trade everyone else not making minimum salary, so he could expect to play for teams losing 100+ games a year for the foreseeable future.
And I thank them for their mutual bluffings-called, because it saved the Yankees any high risk of taking on a bad contract. Either he's awesome, opts out in '20, and decisions can be made at that point whether an extension is prudent based on future needs...or he doesn't opt out and in '20 the Jeetfish start kicking back deferred salary to the Yankees that can immediately be put to good use signing their kid studs when they first hit arb-eligibility. And they're still sitting well under the lux tax.

Meanwhile, the Jeetfish just kicked the can down the road and are almost certainly going to have to size up who gets traded for two nickels and a shirt button just so they get out of the deferred cash they *might* have to start owing Stanton in 3 years. Good jerb all-around.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This deal is so conflicting. Of course I hate that the Yankees pulled off a sweet coup that makes them markedly batter, but I do love Jeets looking like both an asshole and an incompetent.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 5:03pm
This deal is so conflicting. Of course I hate that the Yankees pulled off a sweet coup that makes them markedly batter, but I do love Jeets looking like both an asshole and an incompetent.
extreme same
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!