New Manics Single - What Say You?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

New Manics Single - What Say You?

Post by WestwayKid »

I like it. Got kind of a throwback vibe to it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: New Manics Single - What Say You?

Post by Wolter »

On first listen, I like it. Definitely a Manics song. Guitar feels like it owes a debt to Stuart Adamson, which is unsurprising...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 9:58pm
On first listen, I like it. Definitely a Manics song. Guitar feels like it owes a debt to Stuart Adamson, which is unsurprising...
I hear the Adamson sound in the guitar. Sad this track is not officially available in the US (at least I don’t think so). I don’t get that. It is nearly 2018. Manics are on Sony. Music is distributed digitally. Would it kill Sony to just make it available in the US - a country where they sell a ton of music? To take it a step further - they’re on Columbia - which is the home of Springsteen.

Guess I’m just curious why Sony would not make it available?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I already posted this over in the YouTube thread. Really good track

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Can totally hear the Stuart Adamson influence, actually reminds me of the Big Country song, "Heart and Soul." Excellent track by the way, what a consistent band they've been since the outset.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 7:33am
Can totally hear the Stuart Adamson influence, actually reminds me of the Big Country song, "Heart and Soul." Excellent track by the way, what a consistent band they've been since the outset.
Definitely. I can't say just when I got into them - probably a little later than some. They were just such an unknown quantity in my corner of the US and in the days before YouTube and social media - my only exposure to a lot of British music came through the pages of the pricey imports of Q, Vox, or NME that I'd pick up at the bookstore. I'd read plenty about them, but I could never find their albums around town.

I finally got my hands on a copy of Generation Terrorists around the time Richey went missing. I had literally just turned 18. I then had to literally search high and low for copies of Gold Against the Soul and The Holy Bible - both eventually being purchased as imports via the mail.

In fact, at least up until Send Away the Tigers - I was lucky to be able to find domestic releases of their albums. Most were purchased as imports, but I really got into them. I guess part of me is glad I missed their hyped early days and that I was able to just get into the music.

I spent years tracking down every single - just to have every B-side.

Finally got to see them live when they toured behind Journal for Plague Lovers. Incredible show. I had tickets to see them when they toured The Holy Bible in 2015 - but that turned into the summer I got divorced - so in my depressed fog - I simply did not go. I definitely regret it, now - but at the time it seemed like too much.

Anyway, I digress. Getting back to the original comment - they really have been a consistent band. Even the Know Your Enemy/Lifeblood years - which were probably their lowest musically were good (at least in my opinion).

Just great music. James Dean Bradfield is one of the most underrated guitarists I've ever heard. Nicky Wire is a gifted lyricist who has really come into his own and Sean Moore is always back there holding it all together. Great guys. I had the chance to chat with them briefly after their Minneapolis show. Very down to Earth. Can't wait until the new album comes out. Hopefully it will have an official US release - but luckily for me - it is far easier to get my hands on imports these days (thank you internet)!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 9:29am
Heston wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 7:33am
Definitely. I can't say just when I got into them - probably a little later than some. They were just such an unknown quantity in my corner of the US and in the days before YouTube and social media - my only exposure to a lot of British music came through the pages of the pricey imports of Q, Vox, or NME that I'd pick up at the bookstore. I'd read plenty about them, but I could never find their albums around town.

I finally got my hands on a copy of Generation Terrorists around the time Richey went missing. I had literally just turned 18. I then had to literally search high and low for copies of Gold Against the Soul and The Holy Bible - both eventually being purchased as imports via the mail.

In fact, at least up until Send Away the Tigers - I was lucky to be able to find domestic releases of their albums. Most were purchased as imports, but I really got into them. I guess part of me is glad I missed their hyped early days and that I was able to just get into the music.

I spent years tracking down every single - just to have every B-side.

Finally got to see them live when they toured behind Journal for Plague Lovers. Incredible show. I had tickets to see them when they toured The Holy Bible in 2015 - but that turned into the summer I got divorced - so in my depressed fog - I simply did not go. I definitely regret it, now - but at the time it seemed like too much.

Anyway, I digress. Getting back to the original comment - they really have been a consistent band. Even the Know Your Enemy/Lifeblood years - which were probably their lowest musically were good (at least in my opinion).

Just great music. James Dean Bradfield is one of the most underrated guitarists I've ever heard. Nicky Wire is a gifted lyricist who has really come into his own and Sean Moore is always back there holding it all together. Great guys. I had the chance to chat with them briefly after their Minneapolis show. Very down to Earth. Can't wait until the new album comes out. Hopefully it will have an official US release - but luckily for me - it is far easier to get my hands on imports these days (thank you internet)!
I saw them on the Everything Must Go tour and they were fantastic, though not as good when I saw them a couple of years later touring the This My Truth... album. They seemed to get in a bit of a rut after that but came out fighting with some great songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board