U2 - Songs of Experience

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Marky Dread »

As for U2 I will wait until I hear the record before I pass sentence. I like Raised By Wolves on the last one. They still make the odd good track for me here and there. I'm not into any of the political rhetoric however their good intentions maybe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 1:40am
As for U2 I will wait until I hear the record before I pass sentence. I like Raised By Wolves on the last one. They still make the odd good track for me here and there. I'm not into any of the political rhetoric however their good intentions maybe.
I didn't really get a big political vibe from the new record. I was expecting more of a big statement based on their talking it up - but I hear more introspective songs about life, mortality, relationships and stuff like that.

I've listened to it from start to finish maybe 10 times since Friday. I like it. There are clunky moments, but as a whole - I think it works.

...and nice shout out for Raised by Wolves. I also felt that was a highlight of the last album! :)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

They just did an interview on Howard Stern this morning that was worth a listen. I’ve never understood the rampant Bono hatred. I mean, I get it but c’mon and get over it. There are far better things to hate. The 80s output was great, if overplayed, and the shows I saw when I was in high school were great memories.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 3:28pm
They just did an interview on Howard Stern this morning that was worth a listen. I’ve never understood the rampant Bono hatred. I mean, I get it but c’mon and get over it. There are far better things to hate. The 80s output was great, if overplayed, and the shows I saw when I was in high school were great memories.
Yep.
Yep.
Yep.
And yep.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 3:28pm
Bono is the Derek Jeter of rock.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Bono is a dipshit who hasn't made music good enough to overlook exactly how much of a dipshit he is since (depending on your point of view) either like 1987 or 1997. He might get a little more leeway if any U2 albums this century had been any good.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 4:10pm
Bono is a dipshit who hasn't made music good enough to overlook exactly how much of a dipshit he is since (depending on your point of view) either like 1987 or 1997. He might get a little more leeway if any U2 albums this century had been any good.
Who me?
Attachments
Bono devil.jpg
Bono devil.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 3833 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'll add this nearly one week after release. I listened to it several times on Friday and maybe once during the weekend, but honestly, I think I've already relegated it to the "has been" file.

I grew up in a world where U2 could do no wrong. They went from strength to strength and even mistakes were mistakes made from trying to leap too far.

I guess part of me still connects their music with an idealized part of my life: a time before I was truly grown up. I remember being 14 and waiting in line to buy Achtung Baby. War is the maybe the only album I own on vinyl, cassette, CD, and digital.

I think I've had a hard time acknowledging the diminishing returns their music has offered in recent years.

I'm probably reading too much into it (I tend to do that), but while the new album has moments that are pleasant to listen to, I'm struggling to find any true statement or substance. This is especially troubling since they spent so much time and money and whatever trying to create something that was supposed to be a statement...but it just sounds like a bunch of guys in their 50's trying to sound hip.

I still applaud them for trying to stay relevant, but they really need to change the formula. Not sure what that means, but all I know is that I streamed the heck out of it the day it was released and now nearly a week later I realize that I never went back to it. That says something to me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 8:13am
I'll add this nearly one week after release. I listened to it several times on Friday and maybe once during the weekend, but honestly, I think I've already relegated it to the "has been" file.

I grew up in a world where U2 could do no wrong. They went from strength to strength and even mistakes were mistakes made from trying to leap too far.

I guess part of me still connects their music with an idealized part of my life: a time before I was truly grown up. I remember being 14 and waiting in line to buy Achtung Baby. War is the maybe the only album I own on vinyl, cassette, CD, and digital.

I think I've had a hard time acknowledging the diminishing returns their music has offered in recent years.

I'm probably reading too much into it (I tend to do that), but while the new album has moments that are pleasant to listen to, I'm struggling to find any true statement or substance. This is especially troubling since they spent so much time and money and whatever trying to create something that was supposed to be a statement...but it just sounds like a bunch of guys in their 50's trying to sound hip.

I still applaud them for trying to stay relevant, but they really need to change the formula. Not sure what that means, but all I know is that I streamed the heck out of it the day it was released and now nearly a week later I realize that I never went back to it. That says something to me.
Everybody is entitled to like what they want and to have their opinion. But I never listen to public opinion and allow naysayers to ruin my listening experience. If Phil Collins suddenly made a great record (I doubt he will) I would say so and not just slag it off because every other fucker likes an easy target (or lover).

I've still not heard this new U2 record but without listening to it thus far I expect there to be a couple of songs I like a couple that are OK and the rest is just the rest. I know that plenty of people will not bother to listen to it and slag it off regardless because they hate Bono or whatever. I hope never to get that jaded.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 9:01am
WestwayKid wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 8:13am

Everybody is entitled to like what they want and to have their opinion. But I never listen to public opinion and allow naysayers to ruin my listening experience. If Phil Collins suddenly made a great record (I doubt he will) I would say so and not just slag it off because every other fucker likes an easy target (or lover).

I've still not heard this new U2 record but without listening to it thus far I expect there to be a couple of songs I like a couple that are OK and the rest is just the rest. I know that plenty of people will not bother to listen to it and slag it off regardless because they hate Bono or whatever. I hope never to get that jaded.
Easy Lover - still an awesome track after all these years!!

I'm glad I gave the new album a chance. I wish it was a better album - but it is what it is. I'll listen to the next one and the one after that and so on - always expecting/hoping for the best.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I appreciate this viewpoint marky, but it doesn’t take into account the sheer hype that comes with a U2 release and the heightened expectations this is inevitably going to create. On another forum, where I lurk mostly, there’s a U2 fan thread where, quite laughably, even the mildest criticism of the album is met with cries of “Bono hater”, probably haven’t even listened to the record etc. I have listened to a lot of it, it’s non stop on the radio over here, and I’m struck by how ordinary and uninspired it sounds. That might go for a lot of bands, but U2, like em or not, are no ordinary band.

I still love War, though. They don’t make riffs like those anymore and yet, I hear bono going on and on about how they are trying to keep things simple these days.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 9:24am
Classic! :shifty:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 10:45am
WestwayKid wrote:
No. Stop that at once.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 11:00am
Heston wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 10:45am
WestwayKid wrote:
No. Stop that at once.
If Trump ever builds his wall - I'm just going to go down to Texas - play that song on a huge system and let Phil's POWERHOUSE drumming knock that wall to the ground! It will be HUGE! :mrgreen:

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

The first three albums - 'Boy', 'October' and 'War' (and attendant singles/b-sides) - are still one of the greatest trilogies in popular music history. Add 'The Unforgettable Fire' as a cleanser. Loved them through 'Achtung Baby' ('Zooropa' was cool in it's weird Eno-esque way), haven't bought an album since (but heard nearly all at some point).

Still respect them as a band, as musicians and public people. As Marky said, I won't pass judgement until I've heard the thing.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs