Spotify?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Spotify?

Post by WestwayKid »

Working around house today and decided to listen to Spotify...which I do not do very often. I decided to play the Sex Pistols “station” and honestly...I’m not sure how they pick what music goes with what...but what a strange mix. It is mostly a mix of American proto-punk (Dolls, MC5, Iggy) and American post-punk (X, Talking Heads)...I’ve also heard The Cramps...The Misfits. The only British “punk” song I’ve heard is White Riot. It isn’t a horrible mix...just expecting to hear more artists in the same vein as the Pistols.

I tried The Clash “station” and it was even weirder. A TON of Lou Reed/VU. Lots of Talking Heads.

...anyway....nothing major...just an observation. Would have thought I’d have at least heard a stray Buzzcocks or Stiff Little Fingers track by now.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Spotify?

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 3:54pm
Working around house today and decided to listen to Spotify...which I do not do very often. I decided to play the Sex Pistols “station” and honestly...I’m not sure how they pick what music goes with what...but what a strange mix. It is mostly a mix of American proto-punk (Dolls, MC5, Iggy) and American post-punk (X, Talking Heads)...I’ve also heard The Cramps...The Misfits. The only British “punk” song I’ve heard is White Riot. It isn’t a horrible mix...just expecting to hear more artists in the same vein as the Pistols.

I tried The Clash “station” and it was even weirder. A TON of Lou Reed/VU. Lots of Talking Heads.

...anyway....nothing major...just an observation. Would have thought I’d have at least heard a stray Buzzcocks or Stiff Little Fingers track by now.
Spotify is better for playing full albums rather than listening to other people's playlists. I think Pandora gets the plaudits for that kind of thing, though I don't use it, myself.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I find YouTube easiest for full albums, no ads (I have ad blocker installed). Most stuff is on there other than The Beatles etc.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Unless Pandora has improved they suffer the same kind of flaw. It seems Clash usually means the prgramming decodes that to mean "Oh you like 80s music I'll play 80s music for you." Fucking robots. I get around this by having like 100 Pandora stations and I put them on shuffle, they rarely stray far from the primary artist.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm way too much of a control freak to let some Flex (or even the real Flex) tell me what to listen to, dag nabbit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 6:43pm
I'm way too much of a control freak to let some Flex (or even the real Flex) tell me what to listen to, dag nabbit.
*quietly saves "third eye blind mega mix" for later*
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 6:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"Later":
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is the reason I've always hated radio. I don't like having music curated for me.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I’ve found that it helps to get a little more specialized in your search. Pulling up The Clash will get a lot of bizarre stuff thrown into the mix, but pull up Stiff Little Fingers and you get a far better mix (including a healthy dose of The Clash).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 8:51pm
I’ve found that it helps to get a little more specialized in your search. Pulling up The Clash will get a lot of bizarre stuff thrown into the mix, but pull up Stiff Little Fingers and you get a far better mix (including a healthy dose of The Clap).
Yikes.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I think Spotify is influenced in its selections for you by what you have previously downloaded or listened to.
For some reason it thinks I love Undertones and Housemartins as no matter what I listen to when it finishes it will play them. I like them but I am not that obsessive!!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 8:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I’ve found that it helps to get a little more specialized in your search. Pulling up The Clash will get a lot of bizarre stuff thrown into the mix, but pull up Stiff Little Fingers and you get a far better mix (including a healthy dose of The Clap).
Yikes.
Ugh! Trying to type on my dinky iPad keyboard. I’ll leave that “error” in their because it is too funny to correct. :mrgreen:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 8:54pm
I think Spotify is influenced in its selections for you by what you have previously downloaded or listened to.
For some reason it thinks I love Undertones and Housemartins as no matter what I listen to when it finishes it will play them. I like them but I am not that obsessive!!
I did replace Spotify with Pandora and it is better. There is apparently the ability to give a song a thumb’s up - so I wonder if that influences the playlist?

...on a side note...because I had the Stiff Little FIngers channel on...I got to jump in the air and play some MASSIVE air guitar when a live version of Alternative Ulster came on. I was in the middle of doing dishes and my kids thought I was both funny and insane...but come on...when that monster riff kicks in after the intro...how can you not jump in the air and pretend you’re Jake Burns!?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 7:04pm
Flex wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 6:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"Later":
When does the Nickleback mix come on? RIght before the asteroid crashes into the Earth? ;)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 9:04pm
Kory wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 8:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Yikes.
Ugh! Trying to type on my dinky iPad keyboard. I’ll leave that “error” in their because it is too funny to correct. :mrgreen:
Oh you got it right, I was just having a bit of editing fun. It's a pastime around here.