What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Three of TCS just completed a low-level tour of North America, intimate acoustic sets covering their entire catalogue. A friend of mine was at one of them and bought a copy of the show from the band (one of those usb, instant recordings) and shared it with me. Tho I've grown a bit uninterested in them in recent years (tho out of nostalgia and loyalty, I've kept ponying up for their various crowdfunding efforts), listening to that show and how relaxed and happy they sounded, I pulled out their first album for the first time in years. It still sounds overproduced to me (way too many layered strumming guitars and echoes), especially compared to those acoustic version I just heard, but it's still a wonderful slice of lyrically mopey, jangly guitar pop in the vein of early Aztec Camera.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 4:40pm
Three of TCS just completed a low-level tour of North America, intimate acoustic sets covering their entire catalogue. A friend of mine was at one of them and bought a copy of the show from the band (one of those usb, instant recordings) and shared it with me. Tho I've grown a bit uninterested in them in recent years (tho out of nostalgia and loyalty, I've kept ponying up for their various crowdfunding efforts), listening to that show and how relaxed and happy they sounded, I pulled out their first album for the first time in years. It still sounds overproduced to me (way too many layered strumming guitars and echoes), especially compared to those acoustic version I just heard, but it's still a wonderful slice of lyrically mopey, jangly guitar pop in the vein of early Aztec Camera.
That's a really fine album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mostly instrumental, slightly electronic, moody, vaguely sinister, hypnotic, groovy, not really melodic in any way.

And Silo's first album, Instar, gets a spin, too, because why not.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo to Anywhere. Solid. Guitar. Rock. More consistent than the Libertines and a bit more energetic. I hadn't listened to this in quite a while but I need to keep it in a higher spot in the rotation. It's good plus "No one gives a f*ck about the values I would die for".

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Bob Dylan, 'Together Through Life', 2009.
Properly viewed as a stop gap album between the latter-day classic 1-2 punches of 'Love & Theft' and 'Modern Times' and the magnum opus of 'Tempest', it's still very tough - what with his crack band and bare bones production. The acordian gets a bit much, but two songs - "It's All Good" for its classic Dylan scarifying vibe and "Shake Shake Mama" for its hardcore funky American roots-music libidinous joy - are definite classics IMO.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sufjan Stevens is very hit and miss for me, but this is one of the most effectively devastating albums I've heard in some time (not to suggest that I've just heard it). He was abandoned by his bipolar mother at a young age and then had sporadic contact with her until her death a few years ago. The album is him trying to come to some kind of understanding with a mother who rejected him and now has left for good. Really, it's a seance in song. I had a distant relationship with my father—he was a responsible family man, but mostly cold and closed—and this album never fails to resurrect memories, good and not but fully charged emotionally, about him.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I don't know if I can ever listen to Sufjan Steven again. The last time I listened to it was when my mother was dying and it just broke my heart, the line every road leads to an end still brings tears to my eyes. I was listening to it when I got the call

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 5:30pm
I don't know if I can ever listen to Sufjan Steven again. The last time I listened to it was when my mother was dying and it just broke my heart, the line every road leads to an end still brings tears to my eyes. I was listening to it when I got the call
Ooof. I hope you get to the point where it can be associated with more positive feelings and memories. That's one of the things about the album that impresses and affects—there's a lot of pain and regret there, but it's guided by a desire to find forgiveness and happiness. While I don't stew over my relationship with my dad or anything like that—I had made my peace with that even before his diagnosis—I do sometimes wonder whether I'd be more confident, less self-badgering if we were closer when I was growing up. The album really jabs at that.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Maybe someday I'll listen to it again, I really loved it when it came out and I do love his earlier stuff

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

On a lighter Sufjan note.

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

*slight guffaw* SS considered the thought of writing albums about both Dakotas and Nebraska and realized he'd made a dreadful error. How many songs about grain crops, flat terrain, and crippling isolation can one man be expected to perform?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I desperately want that shirt.

I've been listening to Jerry Lee lewis' albums from the 2000s and they absolutely smoke.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

*double post*
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Ramones - Rocket to Russia 40th Anniversary Edition. Fantastic. Tremendous. Music. They have done a really great job with this series. The original was probably my favorite Ramones album and this is a exponential leap forward. Go get this.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

gkbill wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 9:57pm
Hello,

The Ramones - Rocket to Russia 40th Anniversary Edition. Fantastic. Tremendous. Music. They have done a really great job with this series. The original was probably my favorite Ramones album and this is a exponential leap forward. Go get this.
Oh dip.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"