02 Nov 2017, 9:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:39pm
Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 5:00pm

Perfect. See how easy it is. ;)
I gotta disagree with you guys on this one. I think a different color band would be too distracting on this duotone cover. My bigger beef is with the separating elements. The three items are so obviously already in their little pockets that drawing the rounded rectangles around them is overkill. I think having the title merge with the red band is a good solution for making things seem integrated again, but it wouldn't be necessary without the rectangles in the first place. Merging text with color bars in this way is a big design trick for promoting integration and interaction, but it doesn't always work. In this case, it's not my favorite, but I'm not as offended as you lot.
I wouldn't use another colour font to distract from the band. Unless it was a colour already used in the duotone. But the band is another shade of red and it doesn't work fork me merging with the font not allowing the font to stand out bold enough. You make a good point about the cramped boxes but that was a feature of those 60's style comps with a very busy looking cover leaving little if any space.
OK so what I'm trying to say here is you swap the color of the band from the red to the off white and change the stereo hi-fidelity logo to the red along with the border lines.
Yeah, I think I could get on board with that. Except I'd still get rid of the boxes.
Yeah they are a bit surplus. But then if it's a pastiche of a 60's format they are probably requisite.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thoughts?
http://www.nme.com/photos/best-album-ar ... ry-2155715

I'm not taken by any of those choices with the possible exception of the Bowie sleeve, but that depends on possessing sufficient Bowie history. On its own, enh.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:09pm
Thoughts?

I'm not taken by any of those choices with the possible exception of the Bowie sleeve, but that depends on possessing sufficient Bowie history. On its own, enh.
I agree with you for the most part, though I do like the cover for the Streets album because I love brutalist architecture.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Thoughts?

Ehhhhhhh.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Thoughts?

I agree with you for the most part, though I do like the cover for the Streets album because I love brutalist architecture.
You'd love Ottawa. With the exception of Parliament, which is gothic, government buildings here all look like they were uprooted from 1950s Czechoslovakia.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:18pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Thoughts?

You'd love Ottawa. With the exception of Parliament, which is gothic, government buildings here all look like they were uprooted from 1950s Czechoslovakia.
And I could do some JT swooning. :twitch: :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:18pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Thoughts?

And I could do some JT swooning. :twitch: :shifty:
We do that multiple times daily. It's like praying toward Mecca.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I also like The Streets' cover (all of them, really). For Björk, I would have chosen Biophilia, and for Bowie, Blackstar is objectively better. Turn On the Bright Lights and Gorillaz are pretty ok. The rest can suck it, especially Tame Impala, Kanye, and MIA.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Thoughts?

I've always thought the Tame Impala cover looked like some of my Trapper Keepers from the early 90's.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Interpol and The Strokes were great. I like the Streets one too. Everything else, ehh.

Some of my favs from 2000 on:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More of a FYI Kory post:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 5:12pm
More of a FYI Kory post:
Funnily enough, I actually don't think they do, if those are the kind of campaigns they're coming up with. Effective.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 5:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
More of a FYI Kory post:
Funnily enough, I actually don't think they do, if those are the kind of campaigns they're coming up with. Effective.
If the font were Comic Sans, would you change your tune?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 5:51pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
More of a FYI Kory post:
But of course. Type matters!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 5:51pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
More of a FYI Kory post:
But of course. Type matters!
You are such a serif whore.