Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by 101Walterton »

Here’s a funny thing.
My first ever gig was in 1978 Elvis Costello with support from Richard Hell and the Voidoids and John Cooper Clarke.
My next gig is early 2018 John Cooper Clarke.
40 year gap between 😊

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 8:24pm
Here’s a funny thing.
My first ever gig was in 1978 Elvis Costello with support from Richard Hell and the Voidoids and John Cooper Clarke.
40 year gap between 😊
Yeah well I still live on Beasley St. so there!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 8:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
Here’s a funny thing.
40 year gap between 😊
And you are still wearing your 2 Tone stretch blue tracksuit with yellow stripes.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 8:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 8:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
Here’s a funny thing.
40 year gap between 😊
And you are still wearing your 2 Tone stretch blue tracksuit with yellow stripes.
Damn straight. 😁

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The other odd thing is that 1st gig was on one side of the world in a shitty venue full of punks and was violent and a bit scarey for a young 101W.
The 2nd gig is on the opposite side of the world in a Central city seaside town which is one of the most expensive post codes in the country and full of the oldest whitest most middle class audience as you could find!!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

gkbill wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 7:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:28pm
gkbill wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:38pm
coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:28pm
I think I've seen every band that I idolized as a kid, well maybe not the Sweet but just about everybody else. One band I did NOT get to see was The Jam. Anybody here ever see them? I used to sit in my bedroom with the headphones on listening to Sound Effects staring out the window thinking God there has got to more to life than this dreary experience, so I moved up to NYC.
Yep, Reading Festival '78,

Reading University '79

Wembley Arena '82

and Bracknell Sports Centre '80
Hello,

I saw the Jam at JB Scott's in Albany, NY 2/24/1980 (I am old). Incredible energy, tremendously intense, and solid musically. The place was really sweaty for a February evening in upstate NY. Not a long show but really energetic (I know - I said that already) and they were sharply dressed. Most there kind of knew them (big college radio station crowd) but everyone was really blown away by the show. Great show by a great band.

I have used many parentheses in this post.
Hello mate,

I think they did have great energy and musicianship and they were an incredible band. However if I compare them to The Clash the one thing that is missing is the mayhem and that feeling that at any given moment anything could happen.
Hello,

Agreed. When I saw the Clash on the Pier in NYC, Joe did the "Who's throwing bottles? Now that the lights are up, try throwing one now!" which caught everyone off guard. I've never heard such a loud crowd go silent so quickly.

The support acts for that show were Third World and Kurtis Blow - can't see either opening for the Jam.
Yo Marky and gkbill,
I saw the Jam in early '80 on the 'Setting Sons' US tour. Amazing show, excellent sound, and Sam & Dave opened (!!!). So the fucks next to us were saying "get these niggers off". Of course wanting to see a stripped down, amped up version of soul/R&B that the Jam played. Had a nice street fight at the bus stop after the show with three guys who were "strictly Sabbath". Me and my bro Matt fought em to a draw (our fat buddy Rich sat on the bus while the bus driver was presumadley calling the cops). The Black Sabbath dudes admired our fighting skills and said so on the same bus we were all taking before they got off a couple blocks later. Good times (or maybe not).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

muppet hi fi wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 11:59pm
gkbill wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 7:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:28pm
gkbill wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:38pm

Yep, Reading Festival '78,

Reading University '79

Wembley Arena '82

and Bracknell Sports Centre '80
Hello,

I saw the Jam at JB Scott's in Albany, NY 2/24/1980 (I am old). Incredible energy, tremendously intense, and solid musically. The place was really sweaty for a February evening in upstate NY. Not a long show but really energetic (I know - I said that already) and they were sharply dressed. Most there kind of knew them (big college radio station crowd) but everyone was really blown away by the show. Great show by a great band.

I have used many parentheses in this post.
Hello mate,

I think they did have great energy and musicianship and they were an incredible band. However if I compare them to The Clash the one thing that is missing is the mayhem and that feeling that at any given moment anything could happen.
Hello,

Agreed. When I saw the Clash on the Pier in NYC, Joe did the "Who's throwing bottles? Now that the lights are up, try throwing one now!" which caught everyone off guard. I've never heard such a loud crowd go silent so quickly.

The support acts for that show were Third World and Kurtis Blow - can't see either opening for the Jam.
Yo Marky and gkbill,
I saw the Jam in early '80 on the 'Setting Sons' US tour. Amazing show, excellent sound, and Sam & Dave opened (!!!). So the fucks next to us were saying "get these niggers off". Of course wanting to see a stripped down, amped up version of soul/R&B that the Jam played. Had a nice street fight at the bus stop after the show with three guys who were "strictly Sabbath". Me and my bro Matt fought em to a draw (our fat buddy Rich sat on the bus while the bus driver was presumadley calling the cops). The Black Sabbath dudes admired our fighting skills and said so on the same bus we were all taking before they got off a couple blocks later. Good times (or maybe not).
Hello,

That was the same tour, I believe. We got there too late for the opening act (pretentious Long Island radio dj snobs I went with had to show up late). I really love bands that can take soul or blues or R&B and add rock elements (like J. Geils with blues and rock - J. Geils Band and the Jam - there's what seems an odd pairing but both infused rock and energy into blues and soul respectively).

My evening doesn't seem as edgy as yours - but we can say we saw the Jam.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

That is all very cool! I'm not sure they ever made it down to Florida

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:22am
Wolter wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:21pm
My biggest three regrets are the Ramones, Mescaleros, and Bowie. Honestly, I never had much chances near me in SC with the latter two, but I missed the Ramones on three separate occasions. Each time I told myself, "they're the Ramones. They'll be back. They're always back." D'oh.
I still get a kick that I've seen Bowie live and you haven't. Not to rub it in your face, but that's some cruel irony. I do wish I was more familiar with his catalog when I saw him though.

Mescaleros is a big regret for me, though I wasn't a super fan at the time, so I'm not beating myself up too much about that. I feel like I'll regret not seeing Paul McCartney the many times I've had the opportunity to. I know there are some that I'm forgetting, but I've been fortunate enough to see a ton of bands over the years.
Just remembered, I regret not making the pilgrimage to see Chuck Berry. Never had an easy chance to see him, but probably should have gone out of my way to do it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 12:43pm
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
My biggest three regrets are the Ramones, Mescaleros, and Bowie. Honestly, I never had much chances near me in SC with the latter two, but I missed the Ramones on three separate occasions. Each time I told myself, "they're the Ramones. They'll be back. They're always back." D'oh.
I still get a kick that I've seen Bowie live and you haven't. Not to rub it in your face, but that's some cruel irony. I do wish I was more familiar with his catalog when I saw him though.

Mescaleros is a big regret for me, though I wasn't a super fan at the time, so I'm not beating myself up too much about that. I feel like I'll regret not seeing Paul McCartney the many times I've had the opportunity to. I know there are some that I'm forgetting, but I've been fortunate enough to see a ton of bands over the years.
Just remembered, I regret not making the pilgrimage to see Chuck Berry. Never had an easy chance to see him, but probably should have gone out of my way to do it.
And you could have just stayed with us!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:16pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Me and VH could have stayed up late watching OU812 videos.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:26pm
JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:16pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Me and VH could have stayed up late watching OU812 videos.
Sad, but true.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

God bless the guy for getting out there. People can say what they want about Phil Collins, but despite some pretty serious health setbacks he's out on tour one last time (and doing so from what looks like a shitty office chair).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 10:19am

God bless the guy for getting out there. People can say what they want about Phil Collins, but despite some pretty serious health setbacks he's out on tour one last time (and doing so from what looks like a shitty office chair).
I've been walking past their arena show home from work the last two day, idly wondering if Collins was there. The fans are an image from retirement homes, I know that from the queue.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 10:28am
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 10:19am

I've been walking past their arena show home from work the last two day, idly wondering if Collins was there. The fans are an image from retirement homes, I know that from the queue.
I can't get over the chair he's using. It really does look like they just yanked it out of a hotel conference room. Daryl Stuermer, who has been their touring guitarist since 1978, is from Milwaukee... so I have memories of the local classic rock station always losing their shit when Genesis would come to town.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble