What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Dirty Harry wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 5:35pm
Image Image

always preferred the album version of 'Police Oppression'
Two very good albums. I like both versions of 'Police Oppression' but I have to go with the single B-side as just like 'White Riot' I love that siren too much. Plus the single was my first exposure to the song. Still both are great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 5:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 4:59pm
Heston wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 4:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 2:34pm
Almost their entire output. Classic no wave, snotty anti-rock, utterly toxic to Hestons.
Has it got any tunes? I like simple things like that.
Fire it up on Limey Spotify. :twisted:
I don't have Spotify, thank fuck.
Do you not have some kind of free streaming service? I'm now amused to think about how you'd react to TJ&J.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 6:17pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Almost their entire output. Classic no wave, snotty anti-rock, utterly toxic to Hestons.
Do you not have some kind of free streaming service? I'm now amused to think about how you'd react to TJ&J.
He will obviously find it terrible and tuneless. If he liked it I would be stunned.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I hate the fact that I have Spotify (it is free) but it is too useful not to use.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 6:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

He will obviously find it terrible and tuneless. If he liked it I would be stunned.
But it's the possibility that he'll be traumatized—that's the juice I crave. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 6:11pm
Dirty Harry wrote:
Image Image

Two very good albums. I like both versions of 'Police Oppression' but I have to go with the single B-side as just like 'White Riot' I love that siren too much. Plus the single was my first exposure to the song. Still both are great.
Same here mate, cracking song.

In Upstarts-related news, local gangster and ex-Upstarts manager Keith Bell (the subject of Shotgun Solution) died this week, not many tears shed around these parts. A horrible thug.

Also, we have another Xmas gig with the Upstarts in South Shields on Dec 27th, very much looking forward to it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just listen to albums on YouTube, everything I like is pretty old and usually on there.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 10:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:
Image Image

In Upstarts-related news, local gangster and ex-Upstarts manager Keith Bell (the subject of Shotgun Solution) died this week, not many tears shed around these parts. A horrible thug.

Also, we have another Xmas gig with the Upstarts in South Shields on Dec 27th, very much looking forward to it.
Yep I've read about Keith Bell being somewhat of a nasty piece of work

That's great news re : the gig wish I could attend that. A Xmas gig with the Upstarts and the Report would feel just like old times when bands would play Xmas gigs to alleviate the boredom of a boring 70's Xmas. I hope you have a cracker mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 6:06am
Heston wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 10:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:
Image Image

Yep I've read about Keith Bell being somewhat of a nasty piece of work

That's great news re : the gig wish I could attend that. A Xmas gig with the Upstarts and the Report would feel just like old times when bands would play Xmas gigs to alleviate the boredom of a boring 70's Xmas. I hope you have a cracker mate.
Cheers mate, muchly looking forward to it.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Billy Bragg, 'Don't Try This at Home' (1991).
"Sexuality" is such a perfectly joyous and pop-tastic song (in no small measure to Kirsty MacColl and Johnny Marr). I could easily hear Mick with Carbon Silicon or Joe with the Mescaleros covering this.

"Accident Waiting to Happen" is ferocious and heartbreaking with it's Kinks paraphrase: "...you're a dedicated swallower of fascism".

And "Tank Park Salute" is just obvious and harrowing, especially to anyone who's lost their da' recently (as I did July 3 of this year). Being a decorated combat Infantry veteran who, although a bit conservative in his general world-view, couldn't comprehend the world he was living in,in his final 4-5 years, and had bled and nearly lost his life for. At 20 years of age. Because "They" ordered him to. (happy Armistice Day, daddy).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 9:56pm
Billy Bragg, 'Don't Try This at Home' (1991).
"Sexuality" is such a perfectly joyous and pop-tastic song (in no small measure to Kirsty MacColl and Johnny Marr). I could easily hear Mick with Carbon Silicon or Joe with the Mescaleros covering this.

"Accident Waiting to Happen" is ferocious and heartbreaking with it's Kinks paraphrase: "...you're a dedicated swallower of fascism".

And "Tank Park Salute" is just obvious and harrowing, especially to anyone who's lost their da' recently (as I did July 3 of this year). Being a decorated combat Infantry veteran who, although a bit conservative in his general world-view, couldn't comprehend the world he was living in,in his final 4-5 years, and had bled and nearly lost his life for. At 20 years of age. Because "They" ordered him to. (happy Armistice Day, daddy).
Really strong album with great lyrics and tunes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 7:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 6:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

But it's the possibility that he'll be traumatized—that's the juice I crave. :cool:
He wouldn't make it 2 songs in.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Headroom, Head in the Clouds. Not really shoegaze, more like original psychedelic/stoner rock. Almost entirely instrumental. The main guitarist reminds me a lot of Levene, esp. circa Metal Box.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Elvis Costello, King of America. A stellar album that I almost always forget when listing my EC faves
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 5:04pm
Elvis Costello, King of America. A stellar album that I almost always forget when listing my EC faves
It is a quality album. In a catalogue as broad and good as EC's it's easy to pass over some great stuff at times.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia