The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

General music discussion.
Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by Flex » 09 Nov 2017, 2:10pm

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 2:00pm
So you are saying it's turning him on knowing that she will be killed and that's why he adds the "I don't care" part to the line. Surely that true horror movie stuff. I mean we all watch those movies hoping that whoever goes down to the basement will be killed.
Right. It's not the narrator of the song that's necessarily supposed to get excited by the woman being harmed, it's the audience. It's true that horror movies often employ this trick as well, and lots of horror movies are hideously misogynistic. There's a truckload of them that I'd rather not revisit at the moment.
My other thought is that he has fallen so in love with her but she has rejected him so he no longer cares what happens to her. He may well be the one who has taken her to the house of horrors. I see it all as tongue in cheek stuff.
Yeah, but it's telling that the metaphor for the expression of unrequited love is violence against the woman (whatever the particulars of the scenario). Again, just doesn't sit right at the moment.

Still love the Ramones, of course. :cool:
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by Marky Dread » 09 Nov 2017, 2:11pm

Flex wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 2:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 2:00pm
So you are saying it's turning him on knowing that she will be killed and that's why he adds the "I don't care" part to the line. Surely that true horror movie stuff. I mean we all watch those movies hoping that whoever goes down to the basement will be killed.
Right. It's not the narrator of the song that's necessarily supposed to get excited by the woman being harmed, it's the audience. It's true that horror movies often employ this trick as well, and lots of horror movies are hideously misogynistic. There's a truckload of them that I'd rather not revisit at the moment.
My other thought is that he has fallen so in love with her but she has rejected him so he no longer cares what happens to her. He may well be the one who has taken her to the house of horrors. I see it all as tongue in cheek stuff.
Yeah, but it's telling that the metaphor for the expression of unrequited love is violence against the woman (whatever the particulars of the scenario). Again, just doesn't sit right at the moment.

Still love the Ramones, of course. :cool:
You better or you're next down the basement. ;)
Image
Image

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 475
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by coffeepotman » 09 Nov 2017, 4:22pm

Deep Ramones Theory, I love it...They are in my DNA

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by Marky Dread » 09 Nov 2017, 4:28pm

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:22pm
Deep Ramones Theory, I love it...They are in my DNA
Me too.
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14798
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by 101Walterton » 09 Nov 2017, 8:26pm

My wife just got back from a weeks business trip in NYC. She didn’t even find 315 Bowery even though CBGB is gone 😔

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Nov 2017, 1:20am

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 8:26pm
My wife just got back from a weeks business trip in NYC. She didn’t even find 315 Bowery even though CBGB is gone 😔
Hey ho oh no!
Image
Image

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 475
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by coffeepotman » 10 Nov 2017, 8:46am

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 8:26pm
My wife just got back from a weeks business trip in NYC. She didn’t even find 315 Bowery even though CBGB is gone 😔
Didn't find it? It's right around the corner from where I live, it's right where Bleeker street begins on Bowery. 315 Bowery is now the John Varvatos flagship store. You wouldn't recognize it though because the entire upper Bowery has been gentrified, it is no longer the "skid row" of the past, now it is all boutiques, restaurants and bars and lined with luxury high rise apartments.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... oioIxwEwDg

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14798
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by 101Walterton » 10 Nov 2017, 3:28pm

coffeepotman wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 8:46am
101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 8:26pm
My wife just got back from a weeks business trip in NYC. She didn’t even find 315 Bowery even though CBGB is gone 😔
Didn't find it? It's right around the corner from where I live, it's right where Bleeker street begins on Bowery. 315 Bowery is now the John Varvatos flagship store. You wouldn't recognize it though because the entire upper Bowery has been gentrified, it is no longer the "skid row" of the past, now it is all boutiques, restaurants and bars and lined with luxury high rise apartments.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... oioIxwEwDg
Sorry mate when I said “didn’t find it” I meant she didn’t even look. She did the tourist tour of the sights but despite my recommendation it wasn’t on her list.
By the way she loved your city and the friendly people.
Do they still have some of the original graffiti in the store as I read after CBGB first closed down and was redeveloped they kept the graffiti and glasses over it?

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 475
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by coffeepotman » 10 Nov 2017, 8:32pm

Yes they do! They actually did keep some of the charm of CB's by that I mean they didn't gut the place, there is still some remnants. They also have records up on the walls, trying to get a rock and roll vibe. They even have a little stage and some big bands have played private shows there. I know that Guns and Roses did. The clothes are mega expensive.

Shepard Fairey just did a really cool mural of Blondie across the street....http://evgrieve.com/2017/08/from-joey-r ... ry-on.html

I'm happy to hear she liked the city, it's very friendly and safe and if you really like food, there is good inexpensive food to be found all around. Best thing to do is grab a copy of Time Out and see what's happening in Brooklyn cause that's where it's at.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14798
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by 101Walterton » 10 Nov 2017, 8:42pm

coffeepotman wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 8:32pm
Yes they do! They actually did keep some of the charm of CB's by that I mean they didn't gut the place, there is still some remnants. They also have records up on the walls, trying to get a rock and roll vibe. They even have a little stage and some big bands have played private shows there. I know that Guns and Roses did. The clothes are mega expensive.

Shepard Fairey just did a really cool mural of Blondie across the street....http://evgrieve.com/2017/08/from-joey-r ... ry-on.html

I'm happy to hear she liked the city, it's very friendly and safe and if you really like food, there is good inexpensive food to be found all around. Best thing to do is grab a copy of Time Out and see what's happening in Brooklyn cause that's where it's at.
It’s been top of my list of places to visit for years but she never wanted to go hence why I haven’t been!!
Thankfully she now wants to go back so looking forward to my trip including my pilgrimage to 315 Bowery.
Mrs101 said she felt safe and despite the fact she was on her own she got out and about and walked around.

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 475
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by coffeepotman » 10 Nov 2017, 9:22pm

That's great, you need to let me know, Mrs. Teapot would love to give you a tour of Chinatown

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests