This Is England (pitch corrected vocal)

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

This Is England (pitch corrected vocal)

Post by Heston »

I remember a while back someone posting a link to this. Someone had put Joe's voice back to its original pitch yet kept the tempo of the track the same. I can't remember if it was a download or a YouTube video. Would anyone happen to have it?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: This Is England (pitch corrected vocal)

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 5:38pm
I remember a while back someone posting a link to this. Someone had put Joe's voice back to its original pitch yet kept the tempo of the track the same. I can't remember if it was a download or a YouTube video. Would anyone happen to have it?
That was my doing!

I tried to upload it a few times for download, but the sites kept catching it as copyrighted material. I could email it to you if I dust off my old laptop.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 6:13pm
Heston wrote:
That was my doing!

I tried to upload it a few times for download, but the sites kept catching it as copyrighted material. I could email it to you if I dust off my old laptop.
It's okay, I have a YouTube to mp3 converter, many thanks. Great job btw, the definitive version for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
That was my doing!

Thanks.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Such promise....that 12 inch, and what artwork, I used to stare at it for hours imaging that is what it would be like when I moved to NYC

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 11:40pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
That was my doing!

It's okay, I have a YouTube to mp3 converter, many thanks. Great job btw, the definitive version for me.
I can't listen to the original version anymore.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
That was my doing!

What program did you use for the editing?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 1:13pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
That was my doing!

What program did you use for the editing?
Audacity

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

I saw this on facebook today. I've always loved the original, but for me from this point forward this is the definitive version. When you were playing around with it did the song itself sound like it needed to be slowed down as well? Presumably not since you only corrected the vocals, but you have me curious now.

Heston

Post by Heston »

appleseed1 wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:36pm
I saw this on facebook today. I've always loved the original, but for me from this point forward this is the definitive version. When you were playing around with it did the song itself sound like it needed to be slowed down as well? Presumably not since you only corrected the vocals, but you have me curious now.
The fact the music is in between keys suggests the whole track was sped up. Probably a last minute decision to add some zip to the track. What Matedog has done is realise their vision for the song but without the chipmunk vocal.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 5:29am
appleseed1 wrote:
The fact the music is in between keys suggests the whole track was sped up. Probably a last minute decision to add some zip to the track. What Matedog has done is realise their vision for the song but without the chipmunk vocal.
I would imagine the song was probably recorded slower and the whole thing sped up. I just dropped the key of the vocal because I thought the song would drag. It would be interesting to hear it all slowed down. I doubt I'll get around to it any time soon, so if someone wants to try, go ahead. I'm shitty with technology in general, but Audacity was pretty easy to figure out. And free.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 10:16am
Heston wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:
I would imagine the song was probably recorded slower and the whole thing sped up. I just dropped the key of the vocal because I thought the song would drag. It would be interesting to hear it all slowed down. I doubt I'll get around to it any time soon, so if someone wants to try, go ahead. I'm shitty with technology in general, but Audacity was pretty easy to figure out. And free.
Indeed, which is why they would have sped it up in the first place. The funny thing is, I think Cut the Crap was recorded in a digital studio, so I'm surprised they never had the facility to speed it up without altering the pitch. Maybe the technology was too primitive at the time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 10:36am
matedog wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 10:16am
Heston wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:
Indeed, which is why they would have sped it up in the first place. The funny thing is, I think Cut the Crap was recorded in a digital studio, so I'm surprised they never had the facility to speed it up without altering the pitch. Maybe the technology was too primitive at the time.
While this track is obviously sped up The problem is not just speed and pitch. Joe's voice at times really does have chipmunk sound to it. Obviously not as exagerated as here but it naturally does have a very odd inflection to it at times. I've noticed this on a few live boots. When I've put the speed back to it's correct pace Joe's voice just sounds too sluggish.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia