Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:18pm
Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:05pm
Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:38pm
All she had to do was listen to John's albums after Imagine to know that he probably needed a musical partner not rhyming with Poco Bono.
I think Some Time in New York City is probably Lennon's most underrated album, fwiw.
It's really good.

Even the Yoko track swings — genuine Spector magic.

In a word, blech. All the Beatles' best solo stuff came out in that first burst after Abbey Road. Then the long and winding mediocre road awaits.
Ahem.

Scattered songs here and there, but largely yuck after around '71. I do very much dig this, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Inder »

The Wiki article on Ringo's Sentimental Journey has a section titled "Release and aftermath."

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:42pm
Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
Flex wrote:

I think Some Time in New York City is probably Lennon's most underrated album, fwiw.
It's really good.

In a word, blech. All the Beatles' best solo stuff came out in that first burst after Abbey Road. Then the long and winding mediocre road awaits.
Ahem.

Scattered songs here and there, but largely yuck after around '71. I do very much dig this, tho.

I have trouble with Woman is the Nigxxer of the World, it's a fantastic song, up there with John's best post Beatles but I can't get with the N word, it totally disgusts me.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:24pm
I have trouble with Woman is the Nigxxer of the World, it's a fantastic song, up there with John's best post Beatles but I can't get with the N word, it totally disgusts me.
Easily the most misguided song in the Beatles-affiliated catalog, right?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:28pm
coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:24pm
Easily the most misguided song in the Beatles-affiliated catalog, right?
I'm going to vote for McCartney's "Freedom." Not a defence of "WitNotW," just that "Freedom" is fucking insipid.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:14pm
I'm going to vote for McCartney's "Freedom." Not a defence of "WitNotW," just that "Freedom" is fucking insipid.
It's weird, because I see this sentence citing a Macca song, but my brain short-circuits whenever my eyes look at the name. The only way that could happen is if McCartney released something so mind-bendingly stupid that I reject it from my own sense of reality. And what Beatle would do that?

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

For my money the actual Beatles song that is he hardest to listen to is "Run For Your Life," since it's a perfectly catchy song about threatening domestic abuse sung by an accused domestic abuser.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:14pm
It's weird, because I see this sentence citing a Macca song, but my brain short-circuits whenever my eyes look at the name. The only way that could happen is if McCartney released something so mind-bendingly stupid that I reject it from my own sense of reality. And what Beatle would do that?
Worse, what kind of person would get a tramp stamp of the lyrics? Right, Inder?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
For my money the actual Beatles song that is he hardest to listen to is "Run For Your Life," since it's a perfectly catchy song about threatening domestic abuse sung by an accused domestic abuser.
I can't for the life of me understand how anyone, even at the time, in the Beatles camp thought that that was appropriate for a pop song. Worse, as far as I know, it didn't cause a ripple of criticism. Say that kids find you more appealing than Christ and people go apeshit; record a wifebeater jingle and it's business as usual.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
That song is somewhere beyond "misguided". Yeah, that one went into the bin of unlistenable misogyny some years ago for me.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:42pm
Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
Flex wrote:

It's really good.

Ahem.

That's one of my fave Lennon songs. Love the vibe in that one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Report: Album As Good As ‘Sgt. Pepper’ Comes Out About Once Every Month: https://entertainment.theonion.com/repo ... 1820302213

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:37pm
Report: Album As Good As ‘Sgt. Pepper’ Comes Out About Once Every Month: https://entertainment.theonion.com/repo ... 1820302213
Even tho there was no byline, congrats to Hoy on getting published. :shifty:

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:47pm
Even tho there was no byline, congrats to Hoy on getting published. :shifty:
Actually, we were co-authors:
Dirks went on to say, however, that there still hasn’t been anything made that is nearly as pioneering or essential as 1996’s Turn the Radio Off by ska band Reel Big Fish.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kind of a free-for-all final class today, in which the opinion was proffered that the Beatles weren't very good technically and that we love them only because it's heretical to say otherwise. More so, it was said that Ringo wasn't a good drummer. Which made me think of Wolter's great line years ago about how if you hadn't drummed for the Beatles, just shut the fuck up. I thought about throwing that out as a counter, but figured it was over the line and just arched my eyebrow.