Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by coffeepotman »

I think I've seen every band that I idolized as a kid, well maybe not the Sweet but just about everybody else. One band I did NOT get to see was The Jam. Anybody here ever see them? I used to sit in my bedroom with the headphones on listening to Sound Effects staring out the window thinking God there has got to more to life than this dreary experience, so I moved up to NYC.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:28pm
I think I've seen every band that I idolized as a kid, well maybe not the Sweet but just about everybody else. One band I did NOT get to see was The Jam. Anybody here ever see them? I used to sit in my bedroom with the headphones on listening to Sound Effects staring out the window thinking God there has got to more to life than this dreary experience, so I moved up to NYC.
Yep, Reading Festival '78,

Reading University '79

Wembley Arena '82

and Bracknell Sports Centre '80

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I picked a great year (1983) to get into the Clash, the Jam and SLF. The Clash actually sacked Mick the same week I bought my first record by them (SISOSIG/STH). I was always late to the party.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:49pm
I picked a great year (1983) to get into the Clash, the Jam and SLF. The Clash actually sacked Mick the same week I bought my first record by them (SISOSIG/STH). I was always late to the party.
So we finally find out that The Clash sacking Mick had nothing to do with Bernie after all.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:49pm
Could be worse: my first Clash album (cassette, actually) was CTC (my sister, tho, had a dubbed copy of CR that I listened to).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky, I think you and I could be great friends if there wasn't an ocean between us

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I missed The Clash in 82, I did see The Who that year but Clash were not opening for them, if I remember it was Joan Jett and the B52's. I finally did get to see Clash Mk II in Orlando 84 or 85. Good show but not what I was expecting

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:26pm
Marky, I think you and I could be great friends if there wasn't an ocean between us
I can swim. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I saw SLF with Bruce Foxton on bass here in NYC, don't remember when maybe 90 or 91

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:30pm
I saw SLF with Bruce Foxton on bass here in NYC, don't remember when maybe 90 or 91
I first saw them at Friars in Aylesbury most of the tracks are on Hanx!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 4:38pm
coffeepotman wrote:

Reading University '79

Wembley Arena '82

Hello,

I saw the Jam at JB Scott's in Albany, NY 2/24/1980 (I am old). Incredible energy, tremendously intense, and solid musically. The place was really sweaty for a February evening in upstate NY. Not a long show but really energetic (I know - I said that already) and they were sharply dressed. Most there kind of knew them (big college radio station crowd) but everyone was really blown away by the show. Great show by a great band.

I have used many parentheses in this post.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

Reading University '79

Wembley Arena '82

Hello,

I saw the Jam at JB Scott's in Albany, NY 2/24/1980 (I am old). Incredible energy, tremendously intense, and solid musically. The place was really sweaty for a February evening in upstate NY. Not a long show but really energetic (I know - I said that already) and they were sharply dressed. Most there kind of knew them (big college radio station crowd) but everyone was really blown away by the show. Great show by a great band.

Hello mate,

I think they did have great energy and musicianship and they were an incredible band. However if I compare them to The Clash the one thing that is missing is the mayhem and that feeling that at any given moment anything could happen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

Reading University '79

Wembley Arena '82

I was also at the Bracknell Sports Centre In 1980 with Marky 😊 Great show and great support from The Piranhas.
Clash only once in 82 but saw SLF numerous times 79-82

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I have seen Madness, The Specials, The Beat many times however my only regret is not seeing the 2 Tone tour 😔

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:28pm
gkbill wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

Reading University '79

Wembley Arena '82

Hello,

Hello mate,

I think they did have great energy and musicianship and they were an incredible band. However if I compare them to The Clash the one thing that is missing is the mayhem and that feeling that at any given moment anything could happen.
Hello,

Agreed. When I saw the Clash on the Pier in NYC, Joe did the "Who's throwing bottles? Now that the lights are up, try throwing one now!" which caught everyone off guard. I've never heard such a loud crowd go silent so quickly.

The support acts for that show were Third World and Kurtis Blow - can't see either opening for the Jam.