So...what did Paul actually play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: So...what did Paul actually play on?

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 9:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:25pm
Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 5:58pm
Hang on, wasn't the long version of STH on the 12" version of the SISOSIG/STH single?
Yes but the 7" was an edit. When you say the long version it wasn't the version with the extra verse on CoB on the 12" just the CR album version.

Edit : sorry didn't see Toppervilles reply.
Gotcha. I had it in my mind that the CoB version was on the original 12" but that's not the case. Is there anywhere we can hear the 7" edit that Discogs says is 3.51 in length? I used to have the single years ago but can't remember what was excised.
You remember all the effort I went to when I made Rat Patrol from Hell W10? Collecting up all the relevant stuff in one handy place? I included it in the extras disc on that.

Anyway if you still need it here it is in Mp3 320kbps.

https://mega.nz/#!31FzmIJB!knnga8w-90-t ... iqndKOGQhA

It clocks in at 3.41 maybe discogs have an extra 10 secs of Bernie dancing to a raga or something.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:13pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Hang on, wasn't the long version of STH on the 12" version of the SISOSIG/STH single?
Yes but the 7" was an edit. When you say the long version it wasn't the version with the extra verse on CoB on the 12" just the CR album version.

Gotcha. I had it in my mind that the CoB version was on the original 12" but that's not the case. Is there anywhere we can hear the 7" edit that Discogs says is 3.51 in length? I used to have the single years ago but can't remember what was excised.
You remember all the effort I went to when I made Rat Patrol from Hell W10? Collecting up all the relevant stuff in one handy place? I included it in the extras disc on that.

It clocks in at 3.41 maybe discogs have an extra 10 secs of Bernie dancing to a raga or something.
Cheers mate, I never listen to Rat Patrol much because I still have a hope that Mick will one day release it in full fidelity. Interesting to hear the 7" inch edit again, they have just excised the "wanna join in a chorus" verse and drop out from the CR version. A bit pointless if you ask me, an edit of an edit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Cheers mate, I never listen to Rat Patrol much because I still have a hope that Mick will one day release it in full fidelity. Interesting to hear the 7" inch edit again, they have just excised the "wanna join in a chorus" verse and drop out from the CR version. A bit pointless if you ask me, an edit of an edit.
Yep an edit of an edit of an edit of an edit. Still it's one stunning track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:47pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Unbelievable song mate, just listened to it there and it had me stunned all over again, 34 years on since I first heard it. Always in my top 3 Clash songs. It has something about that even the supposed "greats" could never match for me. Is there a Beatles song as good as Straight To Hell? Not for me. It's just so empathetic and human. A truly great song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:47pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Unbelievable song mate, just listened to it there and it had me stunned all over again, 34 years on since I first heard it. Always in my top 3 Clash songs. It has something about that even the supposed "greats" could never match for me. Is there a Beatles song as good as Straight To Hell? Not for me. It's just so empathetic and human. A truly great song.
Maybe Strawberry Fields as it's so innovative. But fuck StH just blew me away from day one. Those drums and ebow like sounds at the start (what is it a guitar or synth?) just awesome. I remember a lot of my punk mates said it was shit. I just laughed and told them they were stuck in a rut. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

A Day In The Life?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I think the ebo-like sounds on STH are from the Roland guitar synth. Wes Diplo fronted that he replayed all of Mick’s parts for “Paper Planes” so they’d only have to pay writers’ royalties to the Clash, but Mick is certain that his playing is sampled on there. I don’t think the subject up when Diplo produced that later track with Mick and Paul and Frank Ocean, which I suppose is a tribute to Mick’s manners, or something. STH is a stunning record.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 4:34am
I think the ebo-like sounds on STH are from the Roland guitar synth. Wes Diplo fronted that he replayed all of Mick’s parts for “Paper Planes” so they’d only have to pay writers’ royalties to the Clash, but Mick is certain that his playing is sampled on there. I don’t think the subject up when Diplo produced that later track with Mick and Paul and Frank Ocean, which I suppose is a tribute to Mick’s manners, or something. STH is a stunning record.
When I first heard it I didn't think it was Mick at all. My initial feeling was it was Tymon playing his electric violin. I think you are correct with the Roland guitar synth and again it shows Mick pushing the band forward with new technology.

As for that "Paper Planes" it is clearly a sample.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 07 Nov 2017, 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

While not my favourite STH is, on so many levels, probably their finest achievement I would suggest. Incredibly poignant song. The lift is a bit cheeky, as was the GOB one, but it's not as if the Clash didn't do the odd lift themselves in their day, is it? Personally I wouldn't sweat it either way. And I'd probably be in the minority here but I'm also quite partial to the Lily Allen cover.

Edit: sorry I see its a sample as opposed to a lift, that is a bit different in fairness.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

That's crazy. So there are four versions of Straight to Hell:
7" single - 3:41
Combat Rock - 5:31
Clash on Broadway (no fade in) - 6:56
Sound System- 6:54

Also, I love the notion that the run time is what made it a less marketable single. "If only we can get this song about the death of the steel industry in Northern England and American GIs fathering and abandoning their children in Vietnam under four minutes, it'll fit along nicely with Rick Springfield and Lionel Ritchie on the charts."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:01am
Also, I love the notion that the run time is what made it a less marketable single. "If only we can get this song about the death of the steel industry in Northern England and American GIs fathering and abandoning their children in Vietnam under four minutes, it'll fit along nicely with Rick Springfield and Lionel Ritchie on the charts."
Well, yeah, but if the song is over four minutes long, short of it being "Hey Jude," it's not going to get airplay, no way no how. Taking care of run time was an important factor because radio stations would look at that before the lyrics.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:05am
matedog wrote:
Well, yeah, but if the song is over four minutes long, short of it being "Hey Jude," it's not going to get airplay, no way no how. Taking care of run time was an important factor because radio stations would look at that before the lyrics.
I always assumed it was released as a "double A side" with SISOSIG not because they thought it would sell, but because they realized how great a song it was/is and wanted to give it extra exposure. A moody, super ambient song with no real chorus or 2/4 backbeat with some outstanding, but disparate lyrics has never and will never be a radio hit. So the idea of trimming it down seems pointless. But then again, I could be way off. Did this song get any level of radio play at the time?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:05am
matedog wrote:
I always assumed it was released as a "double A side" with SISOSIG not because they thought it would sell, but because they realized how great a song it was/is and wanted to give it extra exposure. A moody, super ambient song with no real chorus or 2/4 backbeat with some outstanding, but disparate lyrics has never and will never be a radio hit. So the idea of trimming it down seems pointless. But then again, I could be way off. Did this song get any level of radio play at the time?
Can't speak to your question about airplay, but trimming it down created a possibility that otherwise would not have existed. And the charts allowed for more oddities back then. The industry was still recovering from the disco oversaturation debacle and was a lot more open to anything that might move. It was a crisis that created opportunities for atypical singles.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

I don't think it got much airplay, SISOSIG obviously overpowered it in commercial terms. Even when I hear old chart rundowns it is always Should I Stay that gets played.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Great song that it is, always been a bizarre choice for a single release for me. Also a bit odd that it was never included on the US release despite it featuring on the Saturday Night Live slot alongside SISOSIG.