Sublime Moments.

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Nov 2017, 6:51pm

JennyB wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:04pm
"In the intro to Everything Counts by Depeche Mode, you can hear a quiet rendition of the song's melody. Gives me chills," said JennyB, the only DM fanatic on IMCT (except for maybe Rattie).

Also, when Bowie sings the whole "Don't Fake it Baby" verse in Moonage Daydream, it just does something to me.
JB I really do own all their albums. And yes to Moonage Daydream.
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Nov 2017, 6:53pm

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:42pm
I rep harder for Modern Love than anyone I know, but I think it has several sublime moments. Including
"I know when to stay in"
"But I try... I try"
And the echoing backing vocals through the choruses.
.. makes me party.
Image
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26091
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Heston » 06 Nov 2017, 10:17pm

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:42pm
I rep harder for Modern Love than anyone I know, but I think it has several sublime moments. Including
"I know when to stay in"
"But I try... I try"
And the echoing backing vocals through the choruses.
I love "puts my trust in God and Men" bit.

Here's my nomination for this thread. From 1.26 to roughly 2.00 on this video. The bit when Steve Marriott sings "I've just got make you...yes....my occupation" just blows me away, what an incredible singer and song...

So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 5006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Mimi » 06 Nov 2017, 10:19pm

There are so many sublime moments on Kate Bush's Hounds of Love album that I wouldn't know where to start.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Nov 2017, 10:20pm

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:42pm
I rep harder for Modern Love than anyone I know, but I think it has several sublime moments. Including
"I know when to stay in"
"But I try... I try"
And the echoing backing vocals through the choruses.
I love "puts my trust in God and Men" bit.

Here's my nomination for this thread. From 1.26 to roughly 2.00 on this video. The bit when Steve Marriott sings "I've just got make you...yes....my occupation" just blows me away, what an incredible singer and song...

Pure class!
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14798
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by 101Walterton » 06 Nov 2017, 10:30pm

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:20pm
Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:42pm
I rep harder for Modern Love than anyone I know, but I think it has several sublime moments. Including
"I know when to stay in"
"But I try... I try"
And the echoing backing vocals through the choruses.
I love "puts my trust in God and Men" bit.

Here's my nomination for this thread. From 1.26 to roughly 2.00 on this video. The bit when Steve Marriott sings "I've just got make you...yes....my occupation" just blows me away, what an incredible singer and song...

Pure class!
Does that predate Can’t Explain?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26091
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Heston » 06 Nov 2017, 10:32pm

101Walterton wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:20pm
Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:42pm
I rep harder for Modern Love than anyone I know, but I think it has several sublime moments. Including
"I know when to stay in"
"But I try... I try"
And the echoing backing vocals through the choruses.
I love "puts my trust in God and Men" bit.

Here's my nomination for this thread. From 1.26 to roughly 2.00 on this video. The bit when Steve Marriott sings "I've just got make you...yes....my occupation" just blows me away, what an incredible singer and song...

Pure class!
Does that predate Can’t Explain?
No, but they made better use of it, as did the Clash.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Nov 2017, 10:51pm

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:32pm
101Walterton wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:20pm
Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:42pm
I rep harder for Modern Love than anyone I know, but I think it has several sublime moments. Including
"I know when to stay in"
"But I try... I try"
And the echoing backing vocals through the choruses.
I love "puts my trust in God and Men" bit.

Here's my nomination for this thread. From 1.26 to roughly 2.00 on this video. The bit when Steve Marriott sings "I've just got make you...yes....my occupation" just blows me away, what an incredible singer and song...

Pure class!
Does that predate Can’t Explain?
No, but they made better use of it, as did the Clash.
Isn't every great song ever Can't Explain. ;)
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Nov 2017, 10:54pm

While were on the Small Faces how about the phased drum break on Itchycoo Park...it's all too beautiful!
Image
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26091
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Heston » 06 Nov 2017, 11:01pm

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:54pm
While were on the Small Faces how about the phased drum break on Itchycoo Park...it's all too beautiful!
I've been listening to them all week as I picked up the deluxe version of "There Are But Four Small Faces" album at a flea market last week for £1.50. The second disc has the mono mix of the album and it sounds fantastic, better than the stereo version. You can actually hear the verses on Get Yourself Together", the stereo version is poorly mixed in comparison.
Last edited by Heston on 06 Nov 2017, 11:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Nov 2017, 11:01pm

"I don't trust you, so why should you trust me, huh?"
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Nov 2017, 11:02pm

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 10:54pm
While were on the Small Faces how about the phased drum break on Itchycoo Park...it's all too beautiful!
I've been listening to them all week as I picked up the deluxe version of "There Are But Four Small Faces" album at a flea market last week for £1.50. The second disc has the mono mix of the album and it sounds fantastic, better than the stereo version. You can actually hear the verses on Get Yourself Together", the stereo version is poorly mixed in comparison.
Yep I have all their stuff. They deserve more respect a brilliant group.
Image
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26091
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Heston » 06 Nov 2017, 11:05pm

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:01pm
"I don't trust you, so why should you trust me, huh?"
Now if we're talking CC, for me it is the FHtE version where Joe does his "This is punk....rockers" line. Gets the hair standing up on the back of the neck. That whole song is great though, full of great moments.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Nov 2017, 11:10pm

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:01pm
"I don't trust you, so why should you trust me, huh?"
Now if we're talking CC, for me it is the FHtE version where Joe does his "This is punk....rockers" line. Gets the hair standing up on the back of the neck. That whole song is great though, full of great moments.
Can't argue with that one mate. :approve:
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Sublime Moments.

Post by muppet hi fi » 06 Nov 2017, 11:20pm

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary,
out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Marky Dread and 5 guests