So...what did Paul actually play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: So...what did Paul actually play on?

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Oh, and Straight to Hell faded in at the top of side one.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 10:28pm
Just to clarify Teddy are the SS box STH and the CoB box STH the same with just the SS version faded up at at the start.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 4:50pm
Does anyone have a nice summary of the differences between CR and Rat Patrol? I thought the most obvious differences were the two added tracks (Kill Time, Beautiful People (whatever their real titles were)), no OBF (except maybe?), longer STH, longer Sean Flynn, different vocal takes for SISOSIG and KYR, that little conga intro on RTC, and adding some of the b-sides?

I seem to be in the minority, but I think the CR changes were improvements. The new vocal takes were way better, particularly the non-double tracked Mick vocals. STH is an improvement too with excising that Alphabet City verse, specifically because of the dramatic break it creates after the "mama san says" part. I love Sean Flynn, but not enough to know what the hell the difference is between the regular and extended versions.
Ok, I'll relent and reply to this. I think everything you mentioned above, but in some cases the mixes themselves are also quite different, with different levels on the guitars, more obvious effects, or more prominent drums (from what I can hear on some of the later-gen tracks), that give a lot of the album a much more floating feeling to it. To me it has a lot more of a hazy, dimly-lit room sensation that goes with it.

I wouldn't mind putting together a list of differences, but I'll have to find time for it, as I'm currently doing some light remastering on the Smiths' Troy Tate tapes.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 10:33pm
Just to clarify Teddy are the SS box STH and the CoB box STH the same with just the SS version faded up at at the start.

Okay, yes. I think all versions of STH are the same mix. Glyn Johns just edited the song for Combat Rock. I was saying the 2 LP version of Rat Patrol, as of the end of the original sessions, was meant to open with a faded in version of the song.

Oh, and also the drum sound on the Rat Patrol mixes was generally more “real” sounding, surprisingly enough, “Know Your Rights” excepted as it had the added electronics. Glyn seemed to use all of Topper’s drums to trigger some additional sounds.

What do you think Marky?
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 07 Nov 2017, 4:26am, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

06 Nov 2017, 3:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Okay, yes. I think all versions of STH are the same mix. Glyn Johns just edited the song for Combat Rock. I was saying the 2 LP version of Rat Patrol, as of the end of the original sessions, was meant to open with a faded in version of the song.

Oh, and also the drum sound on the Rat Patrol mixes was generally more “real” sounding, surprisingly enough, “Know Your Rifhts” excepted as it had the added electronics. Glyn seemed to use all of Topper’s drums to trigger some additional sounds.

What do you think Marky?
I agree about the drum sounds on RP sounding more genuine. Sounds like some reverb used on Toppers drums drums to push up the feel on CR. When I first heard StH on the CoB box that really peaked my interest in the whole album CR Vs. RP debate. When I bought the vinyl CR album one of the first things I noticed was all those extra lyrics on the inner bag. Where did they disappear to and why were they not used? Then I picked up the CD "Another Combat Rock" and some more of the story started to evolve then that was followed by the double CD "RPfFB" and a little bit more is revealed. It just made me want to hear it all the more and to find out just how much Glyn Johns trimmed off the album to make it a single. It was The Clash playing it safe which in fairness paid off with them having a hit album. But the earlier mixes of Mick's are way more fascinating and I truly feel another double album would've sold equally as well and still been a hit. You could've trimmed whatever was necessary for single releases. I mean although StH was released as a double A-side with SISoSIG? it was still an edit of the actual CR album version so why could that not have happened the same with the RPfFB version. StH should've been a stand alone single also as it was such a strong track a double A-side with SISoSIG? in reality relegated it to a B-side.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 4:19pm
06 Nov 2017, 3:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh, and also the drum sound on the Rat Patrol mixes was generally more “real” sounding, surprisingly enough, “Know Your Rifhts” excepted as it had the added electronics. Glyn seemed to use all of Topper’s drums to trigger some additional sounds.

What do you think Marky?
I agree about the drum sounds on RP sounding more genuine. Sounds like some reverb used on Toppers drums drums to push up the feel on CR. When I first heard StH on the CoB box that really peaked my interest in the whole album CR Vs. RP debate. When I bought the vinyl CR album one of the first things I noticed was all those extra lyrics on the inner bag. Where did they disappear to and why were they not used? Then I picked up the CD "Another Combat Rock" and some more of the story started to evolve then that was followed by the double CD "RPfFB" and a little bit more is revealed. It just made me want to hear it all the more and to find out just how much Glyn Johns trimmed off the album to make it a single. It was The Clash playing it safe which in fairness paid off with them having a hit album. But the earlier mixes of Mick's are way more fascinating and I truly feel another double album would've sold equally as well and still been a hit. You could've trimmed whatever was necessary for single releases. I mean although StH was released as a double A-side with SISoSIG? it was still an edit of the actual CR album version so why could that not have happened the same with the RPfFB version. StH should've been a stand alone single also as it was such a strong track a double A-side with SISoSIG? in reality relegated it to a B-side.
I totally agree with Marky on this. I first heard the full version of StH way before the CoB release and thought - WTF! Yep it was on a shitty cassette of the alleged RPFFB - probably about 1985 - but I just thought - where has the rest of the song gone? And yep - the 7” (supposed double A side) cut it even more. StH should have been a stand alone single - I would even suggest the first from the album - before KYR.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I never got the concept of the double A-sided single. Is there some practical consideration to it I'm missing or is it merely the band saying, hey look we've got these really 2 great songs that we can't decide between so you really need to buy this single? It also meant 4 songs were released from the single album CR compared to 3 from the triple that preceded it and 1 from the previous double (talking about the UK only), didn't that stray from the official party line just a tad?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

COB has "edited" versions of RAD and Ghetto Defendant that are about 20 seconds shorter. Any idea what was edited out?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Hang on, wasn't the long version of STH on the 12" version of the SISOSIG/STH single?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 5:14pm
COB has "edited" versions of RAD and Ghetto Defendant that are about 20 seconds shorter. Any idea what was edited out?
Some Ginsberg on the latter, not sure why.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 5:58pm
Hang on, wasn't the long version of STH on the 12" version of the SISOSIG/STH single?
It was the CR length version - but not the full CoB length one. Didn’t matter really as 12” singles were a bit of a novelty at the time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Yes but the 7" was an edit. When you say the long version it wasn't the version with the extra verse on CoB on the 12" just the CR album version.

Edit : sorry didn't see Toppervilles reply.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:25pm
Heston wrote:
Yes but the 7" was an edit. When you say the long version it wasn't the version with the extra verse on CoB on the 12" just the CR album version.

So there is a shorter version than the CR version for the 7” single?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Gotcha. I had it in my mind that the CoB version was on the original 12" but that's not the case. Is there anywhere we can hear the 7" edit that Discogs says is 3.51 in length? I used to have the single years ago but can't remember what was excised.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 9:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

So there is a shorter version than the CR version for the 7” single?
I had the single and 12" about 30 years ago but can't remember the short edit, would be interesting to hear again. I've just checked Wiki and it's on the Singles Box.