What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Orchestral and dreamy (in the sense of seeming like wonderment). Seems like it could be successfully employed on a movie soundtrack.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 4:56pm
Orchestral and dreamy (in the sense of seeming like wonderment). Seems like it could be successfully employed on a movie soundtrack.
They make perfect soundtrack music. Good call Doc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not just called doctor because strangers seek medical advice from me. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not just called doctor because strangers seek medical advice from me. :shifty:
A stranger is a friend you just don't know.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Tempted to buy the new deluxe edition or wait for The Ramones Rocket to Russia one
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dirty Harry wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 8:10pm

Tempted to buy the new deluxe edition or wait for The Ramones Rocket to Russia one
Same but I've read the packaging is not up to much on the Smiths deluxe for the price. I'll probably just get the album with the extras. RtR is a must though.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 8:24pm
Dirty Harry wrote:

Same but I've read the packaging is not up to much on the Smiths deluxe for the price. I'll probably just get the album with the extras. RtR is a must though.
TQID is a bit pricey so might give it a miss . But RtR is a must especially after the first two have been great. I'm guessing every Ramones might be getting this treatment then.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dirty Harry wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 8:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

TQID is a bit pricey so might give it a miss . But RtR is a must especially after the first two have been great. I'm guessing every Ramones might be getting this treatment then.
Maybe and I hope so. Pehaps just the Sire albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 8:39pm
Dirty Harry wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

The demos are worth the price of admission alone, and the packaging is only slightly less pleasing than the Beatles boxes. The discs even come with plastic sleeves to keep them safe in the paper housing. I recommend it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

The demos are worth the price of admission alone, and the packaging is only slightly less pleasing than the Beatles boxes. The discs even come with plastic sleeves to keep them safe in the paper housing. I recommend it.
Ah thanks Kory. All the stuff I had read on Amazon put me off a bit. Are the demos that different sounding?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:47pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Ah thanks Kory. All the stuff I had read on Amazon put me off a bit. Are the demos that different sounding?
Yeah, in many cases they're more dry (less reverb, etc), and are missing a few guitar leads. It's interesting to hear them in a more stripped down mode. The bass is certainly more prominent. Notable: TQID is not a demo, it's just the full extended version of the album track..There Is A Light is the first take for the album rather than a demo, so it's the most similar to its album counterpart...there's no demo for Vicar because they wrote it last minute (which pushed Unlovable out of the tracklist).
As you probably know, there's a live disc too, which is good. The tracklist is similar to the Rank album as it's from the same time period, but the sound quality is good.

What's the word on Amazon?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:
Yeah, in many cases they're more dry (less reverb, etc), and are missing a few guitar leads. It's interesting to hear them in a more stripped down mode. The bass is certainly more prominent. Notable: TQID is not a demo, it's just the full extended version of the album track..There Is A Light is the first take for the album rather than a demo, so it's the most similar to its album counterpart...there's no demo for Vicar because they wrote it last minute (which pushed Unlovable out of the tracklist).
As you probably know, there's a live disc too, which is good. The tracklist is similar to the Rank album as it's from the same time period, but the sound quality is good.

No complaints with the music/sound. Just lots of grumbles about the packaging for the cost.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 3:24pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

No complaints with the music/sound. Just lots of grumbles about the packaging for the cost.
Maybe they wanted a better booklet. I will say that part is pretty lacking. The box itself is like a tank, though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Years since I listened to this. Never thought it was as good as the hype at the time, but I'm digging this go 'round, even tho it's a fundamentally depressing collection of songs about environmental collapse and the false romance with technology.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 3:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 3:24pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Maybe they wanted a better booklet. I will say that part is pretty lacking. The box itself is like a tank, though.
Yeh that was one of the complaints and also gatefold sleeves.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia