Best side of Sandinista!....

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
daveddd111
Corner Soul

Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by daveddd111 »

....and what were your initial thoughts when you were 3-4 tracks in the first time you heard it?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Heston »

Side 3

"I need some weed"
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

4, 1, 3, 2, 5, 6

"Fuck me, this is going to leave London Calling in the shade!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

If they'd squeezed sides 5 and 6 into one side it would have been perfect.
That side would have contained...

Charlie
Kingston
Street Parade
Version City
Living In Fame
Shepherds Delight

I love Lose This Skin but I think it would have been better off somewhere else.

That last side was just a stretch too far.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Disc 1.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

That's very true about Sides Five and Six but in another way I never really understood the harsher criticisms of S! among the music press because whatever way you spin it, there's still two albums worth of serious material there. They could have released a great double or killer single album and being likely fawned over, instead they throw in the odd duff track and get widely slaughtered for it. As I think Joe himself said or words thereof, no need to sweat it. Just skip to the tracks you like and where's the problem?

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6.

That was hard. I really like Side 5. The others just don't have anything as bad as Mensforth Hill.

As for initial thoughts . . . I got S! for Christmas when I was 20 or so. We put it in the (multi disc) CD player and when Hitsville came on I literally thought the CD player had shuffled to some Christmas album :lol:

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

easy. every side is the best.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

daveddd111 wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 3:03am
....and what were your initial thoughts when you were 3-4 tracks in the first time you heard it?
Side 2

"VFM" + "Weird" + "Dumbstruck" + "WTF!!"

Bought it on release day, at the Woolies discounted price of £3.99.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Bought it on release day, I can't say what my favorite is because they are all great, I do remember being mesmerized by 5 and 6 though.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

How about this? If you had to cut S! down to a double LP - what would your track listing be? You have 4 sides to work with - roughly 23-24 minutes per side.

Personally, I would us sides 1, 2, 3 and 4 as a starting point and set aside all of 5 and 6.

I'd probably drop all of side 6 and leave the dub versions for b-sides.

I'd rescue Charlie Don't Surf from side 5 - just not sure what I'd bump to make room for it. I'd probably excise One More Dub from side 2.

What else would you "save" from side 5? Street Parade?

There is definitely a GREAT double in their - going for 3 sides was a step too far and if my memory serves me right - was an attempt to deliver one more LP to CBS per their botched contract with the band.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 11:25am
That's very true about Sides Five and Six but in another way I never really understood the harsher criticisms of S! among the music press because whatever way you spin it, there's still two albums worth of serious material there. They could have released a great double or killer single album and being likely fawned over, instead they throw in the odd duff track and get widely slaughtered for it. As I think Joe himself said or words thereof, no need to sweat it. Just skip to the tracks you like and where's the problem?
But remember it was pre shuffle / skip track back then 😀

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 9:14pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Hello,

As an older person on the board, I remember once you dropped the needle, you were listening to that side.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:43am
101Walterton wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 9:14pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Hello,

As an older person on the board, I remember once you dropped the needle, you were listening to that side.
Yep and in the order intended, no shuffle or program!!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I didn't know what to think 4 songs in. I know I didn't care for it much at the end of the first full listen (which was on a used cassette). It took getting it on vinyl for me to truly appreciate it.

I think my order of favorites is the same as Heston (3,4,1,2,5,6). I'd say my disc preference is solidly 3,2,1, BUT 3&4 and 1&2 are of such similar quality to each other that I could probably have said 4,3,2,1,5,6 on another day. If that makes sense.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"