So...what did Paul actually play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So...what did Paul actually play on?

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 3:02pm
Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:31pm
Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:18pm

Rat Patrol sounds pretty decent mate it might not be the pro release we would all love but it's certainly plenty listenable. You can hear the bass fine on there. Only the alt. version of KYR is poor sounding and even that is listenable for a boot.
You must have a different version from me. My copies of KYR, RAD, CJ, AT, IC, and DIAS all sound like they were recorded inside a sock. Compared to the much clearer files for STH, RTC, etc, it's a pretty jarring listen.
Well the version I remixed and shared here I think is pretty decent sounding. However I am also fortunate to have a copy of Mick's tape which I do not have permission to share. I always respect those kind of wishes. I also share when and wherever I can. I do not like holding stuff back but sometimes my hands are tied. I also have copy of Joe's Crummy Bum Blues that I'm unable to share.
It does sound better than previous available copies for sure, but it's pretty impossible to polish a 9th generation tape or whatever those things come from. What's confusing to me is why some of those songs obviously come from a much cleaner generation while others are dirty and muffled as hell. It seems whoever had those earlier gens would also have earlier gens of all the songs.
The whole story about the tape being found in a drawer etc is an odd one for sure. I think it's obvious the bootleg is from two separate sources. Mick's tape is way better sounding but does (did) have some defects on it. It's salvagable but probably not for an official release. Overpowered By Funk is a different mix/version to the common boot. I think the reason it has never had and probably won't get an official releas is twofold Joe is no longer here to give his blessing and the fact it caused so much consternation first time 'round. Personally I would love to see it get an official release because I feel it vindicates Mick's mix as being the better version if not the more marketable.
I agree with this 100%. It's certainly more interesting and innovative stylistically, and it makes a better and more cohesive statement. I guess we'll keep dreaming!
Last edited by Kory on 27 Oct 2017, 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

If I could go back and change one single piece of Clash history, apart from the obvious sackings of course, it'd be that some version of Mick's Rat Patrol was released instead of the rather anaemic CR. What a statement it would have been after the madness of S!, the critics would have had a field day and, as usual, they'd have been totally wrong.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Is Marky's version still around? Would love to give it a listen. As far as an official release goes - I just don't see it happening. Mick said he is done with further work on the Clash's back catalog and I really do think there is an element of not wanting to release it because Joe isn't around to give his blessing. We all know the Joe versus Mick story of Rat Patrol/Fort Bragg. I think Mick is conscious of the fact that it could appear that he was finally having his way because Joe was no longer here to say no. Crazy as that sounds - but Mick has always come across as that kind of guy. A good contrast is Let It Be...Naked. Paul gives his blessing (and actually supports) a release of Let It Be without the Spector overdubs. Lennon is no longer around to have any say in the matter. I like the "Get Back" versions where it is just the Beatles (and Preston) better than the official Let It Be - but I think a lot of people saw it as McCartney creating revisionist history because Lennon was no longer around to stand in his way. Mick is not McCartney (thank goodness). That said - I also think Joe would have given his blessing to a release of the Mick produced Fort Bragg recordings. They put the bad feelings of the sacking behind them relatively quickly and remained friends up until Joe's death.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:18pm

Rat Patrol sounds pretty decent mate it might not be the pro release we would all love but it's certainly plenty listenable. You can hear the bass fine on there. Only the alt. version of KYR is poor sounding and even that is listenable for a boot.
You must have a different version from me. My copies of KYR, RAD, CJ, AT, IC, and DIAS all sound like they were recorded inside a sock. Compared to the much clearer files for STH, RTC, etc, it's a pretty jarring listen.
Well the version I remixed and shared here I think is pretty decent sounding. However I am also fortunate to have a copy of Mick's tape which I do not have permission to share. I always respect those kind of wishes. I also share when and wherever I can. I do not like holding stuff back but sometimes my hands are tied. I also have copy of Joe's Crummy Bum Blues that I'm unable to share.
It does sound better than previous available copies for sure, but it's pretty impossible to polish a 9th generation tape or whatever those things come from. What's confusing to me is why some of those songs obviously come from a much cleaner generation while others are dirty and muffled as hell. It seems whoever had those earlier gens would also have earlier gens of all the songs.
The whole story about the tape being found in a drawer etc is an odd one for sure. I think it's obvious the bootleg is from two separate sources. Mick's tape is way better sounding but does (did) have some defects on it. It's salvagable but probably not for an official release. Overpowered By Funk is a different mix/version to the common boot. I think the reason it has never had and probably won't get an official releas is twofold Joe is no longer here to give his blessing and the fact it caused so much consternation first time 'round. Personally I would love to see it get an official release because I feel it vindicates Mick's mix as being the better version if not the more marketable.
I thought that Overpowered by Funk was not on Mick’s Rat Patrol tracklisting? But it’s on the tape you have? Confused I am! The tape you have is not of the original proposed release then?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 1:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

I thought that Overpowered by Funk was not on Mick’s Rat Patrol tracklisting? But it’s on the tape you have? Confused I am! The tape you have is not of the original proposed release then?
It is the original. OBF was intended as an extra track on an additional 12" I believe. If TeddyB reads this he will be able to give you better facts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 1:46pm
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It is the original. OBF was intended as an extra track on an additional 12" I believe. If TeddyB reads this he will be able to give you better facts.
Cheers Marky
Hopefully TeddyB will confirm then. On another note - STH - is it the fade in intro as per SS or the full CoB version? I’ve been curious about that ever since SS came out.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 2:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Cheers Marky
Hopefully TeddyB will confirm then. On another note - STH - is it the fade in intro as per SS or the full CoB version? I’ve been curious about that ever since SS came out.
It's 6 mins 50 secs if that helps. So that's the SS version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 2:38pm
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Cheers Marky
Thanks. Certainly does - you’re one lucky man to have the tape. I’ve wanted it since the late 80’s when I first got a tape of “Rat Patrol” and the quality was shite! Thanks for your answers.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Does anyone have a nice summary of the differences between CR and Rat Patrol? I thought the most obvious differences were the two added tracks (Kill Time, Beautiful People (whatever their real titles were)), no OBF (except maybe?), longer STH, longer Sean Flynn, different vocal takes for SISOSIG and KYR, that little conga intro on RTC, and adding some of the b-sides?

I seem to be in the minority, but I think the CR changes were improvements. The new vocal takes were way better, particularly the non-double tracked Mick vocals. STH is an improvement too with excising that Alphabet City verse, specifically because of the dramatic break it creates after the "mama san says" part. I love Sean Flynn, but not enough to know what the hell the difference is between the regular and extended versions.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 4:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:

Cheers Marky
Thanks. Certainly does - you’re one lucky man to have the tape. I’ve wanted it since the late 80’s when I first got a tape of “Rat Patrol” and the quality was shite! Thanks for your answers.
I would share it but I've promised I wouldn't and despite the sillIness here at times I am a man of integrity. Do you have the remixed version I made a while back with all the b-sides and intrumentals that I titled "Rat Patrol from Hell W10" ?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:08pm
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Cheers Marky
I would share it but I've promised I wouldn't and despite the sillIness here at times I am a man of integrity. Do you have the remixed version I made a while back with all the b-sides and intrumentals that I titled "Rat Patrol from Hell W10" ?
Integrity in this day and age is a good thing my man. I thought I had the remix you did but just searched my hard drive and couldn’t find it. There were four discs if I remember rightly?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:

Cheers Marky
Integrity in this day and age is a good thing my man. I thought I had the remix you did but just searched my hard drive and couldn’t find it. There were four discs if I remember rightly?
Yes that's correct plus some remixes.

https://mega.nz/#!ThUBxSpI!t-SBE7IJI9dA ... qIB91cMyFw

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 6:29pm
topperville wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes that's correct plus some remixes.

https://mega.nz/#!ThUBxSpI!t-SBE7IJI9dA ... qIB91cMyFw
Muchas gracias señor

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

OBF is on the complete reel of mixes Mick did for Rat Patrol, but was not included on the acetates that comprised the four sides meant for the “final” double album.

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 3:38am
OBF is on the complete reel of mixes Mick did for Rat Patrol, but was not included on the acetates that comprised the four sides meant for the “final” double album.
Thanks TeddyB