Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 2:31am
gkbill wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:47pm
I missed Bowie and I really regret it regardless of how the night might have gone - kind of my tribute to him would be showing up and paying for a ticket.
Oh man, that sucks. One of my best friends bailed on me when Joe played Toronto in 2001 — it's legitimately one of his life's biggest regrets.

Using Doc's example, if I'd already seen Elvis live before, I'd be disinclined to catch the '77 edition. If I hadn't, though, I'd definitely buy a ticket if I had the opportunity.
Friend of mine missed the chance of seeing The Clash with us in 82 as he thought he was going to get lucky. He did but has regretted not seeing The Clash for the rest of his life.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

How about Brian Wilson, I saw the Beach Boys 50th and that was great, Brian even seem engaged but I just saw him again in 2017 and he was just like a stage prop, barely there, the band still sounded great

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

coffeepotman wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 8:31am
How about Brian Wilson, I saw the Beach Boys 50th and that was great, Brian even seem engaged but I just saw him again in 2017 and he was just like a stage prop, barely there, the band still sounded great
Yeah I mentioned Brian. I saw the 2016 leg of that tour. Brian seemed reasonably into it the night I sae him, but I'll bet that's pretty variable on amy given show. It waa still a blast, and I just hope Brian actually wantedto be there.

I wouldn't want to see a truly awful performance from an artist I loved, I just think that when you're actually there in person you're inclined to make more allowances for quality than if you're just watching YouTube videos or whatever.

If I'd never seen Elvis in 77, of course I'd go, and I'd probably have had a good time.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The issues with 77 Elvis were much more visual than audio, if you ask me, and with arrangements that 50x more pompous than they needed to be. He was clearly stoned and struggling in the videos, but the voice was still pretty impeccable.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 8:31am
Brian is hard to peg down. His solo shows have always been erratic. You never know if he's going to be "there" or not on any given night. I've seen him live quite a few times - including one of his very first solo shows (might have been his 2nd or 3rd) and I've seen some great shows and some where he seemed like he didn't want to be there. I think that is just Brian.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 11:28am
The issues with 77 Elvis were much more visual than audio, if you ask me, and with arrangements that 50x more pompous than they needed to be. He was clearly stoned and struggling in the videos, but the voice was still pretty impeccable.
I'm a pretty big Elvis guy and even the voice started to go towards the end. One of music's most tragic tales. The music he made from roughly 1969 through 1973 was incredible (both in the studio and on the stage). You can really here the excitement in his performances - a man truly overjoyed to be making music again. The live recordings from that era - man - the cat knew how to perform. He was in control...but as the the 70's ground on you could see him get ground down. Endless tours of middle America...playing the same songs. In my opinion, Tom Parker is maybe the most horrid man in rock history. Guy just used Elvis. Elvis had no business performing in 1976 or 1977. His death - really - came down to the fact that nobody cared enough to do anything. I've got a copy of Elvis in Concert on LP. It is a pretty brutal listen.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Way Down in the Jungle Room is a great collection of music, imho. Doesn't speak to his live act, but in studio he was still vital.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 4:03am
Inder wrote:
gkbill wrote:
I missed Bowie and I really regret it regardless of how the night might have gone - kind of my tribute to him would be showing up and paying for a ticket.
Oh man, that sucks. One of my best friends bailed on me when Joe played Toronto in 2001 — it's legitimately one of his life's biggest regrets.

Using Doc's example, if I'd already seen Elvis live before, I'd be disinclined to catch the '77 edition. If I hadn't, though, I'd definitely buy a ticket if I had the opportunity.
Friend of mine missed the chance of seeing The Clash with us in 82 as he thought he was going to get lucky. He did but has regretted not seeing The Clash for the rest of his life.
I thankfully saw Joe in 1999 and it was incredible. But my biggest regret is not hanging out at the backstage door to try to meet him because the dolt I was dating at the time didn't want to.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:43am
101Walterton wrote:
Inder wrote:
gkbill wrote:

I thankfully saw Joe in 1999 and it was incredible. But my biggest regret is not hanging out at the backstage door to try to meet him because the dolt I was dating at the time didn't want to.
I had a chance to see him shortly after Rock Art. I got my ticket, and then they changed the venue to a 21+ so I had to give it up. He never came back to Seattle except as part of some stupid festival thing at EMP. Fuck the universe forever.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:35pm
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Inder wrote:
gkbill wrote:

I had a chance to see him shortly after Rock Art. I got my ticket, and then they changed the venue to a 21+ so I had to give it up. He never came back to Seattle except as part of some stupid festival thing at EMP. Fuck the universe forever.
:cry:
OK, that was supposed to be the crying emoji.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Inder wrote:
gkbill wrote:

On the reverse though I once went out with a girl who loved Bowie. I went to see Bowie with her cos I thought I would get lucky. If I hadn’t gone I would never have seen Bowie live. You can call that one a win win.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:27pm
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Inder wrote:

On the reverse though I once went out with a girl who loved Bowie. I went to see Bowie with her cos I thought I would get lucky. If I hadn’t gone I would never have seen Bowie live. You can call that one a win win.
All you've got to do is win.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Inder wrote:

Yes, that must make Kory feel better.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 6:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yes, that must make Kory feel better.
I actually only agreed to go because The Beat were in support! Trifactor.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 12:31pm
Way Down in the Jungle Room is a great collection of music, imho. Doesn't speak to his live act, but in studio he was still vital.
Yeah, he was definitely erratic toward the end, but he still could bring it if the stars were aligned. I mean, 69-73 was the zenith of post-Army Elvis, but you could cherry pick a SOLID collection of "decline" Elvis just as easily as the "Greatist Shits" cherry-picked his worst moments.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"