Best version of Rat Patrol?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Best version of Rat Patrol?

Post by WestwayKid »

What's the best version (in your opinion) circulating? Various archival releases like Sound System have given us some tracks - others are around in pretty decent quality - but a few still sound a bit dodgy - like 3rd or 4th generation cassette copies. The guy who has that Albums That Never Were blog did a version - but I think he was a bit too revisionist and used too many Combat Rock versions. Honestly, I'd be happy with something with at least a consistent sound - even if the sound was not perfect. Just jarring to go from a relatively clear track to something like Know Your Rights - which I've only heard in below average quality/sound.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Best version of Rat Patrol?

Post by Kory »

That's so weird—Marky and I were just talking about this in another thread but I can't remember which one it was. Marky, you got a memory on you?

edit: found it! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9979&start=135
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 12:48pm
That's so weird—Marky and I were just talking about this in another thread but I can't remember which one it was. Marky, you got a memory on you?

I've sorted WestwayKid with a Marky special.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 10:30pm
Kory wrote:

It really is a great, and very appreciated, version. Such a missed opportunity for something really special. One thing that I definitely agree with CK on. The "mongrel rock," as he calls it (and "narco funk" by that other guy), had so much potential to it. I'm hoping my next project will be able to pick up the baton at least a little bit.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 1:06am
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

It really is a great, and very appreciated, version. Such a missed opportunity for something really special. One thing that I definitely agree with CK on. The "mongrel rock," as he calls it (and "narco funk" by that other guy), had so much potential to it. I'm hoping my next project will be able to pick up the baton at least a little bit.
I'm realy looking forward to hearing your work mate. Please keep me in the loop as you progress.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Much appreciated! Probably the best sounding versions of some of these tracks I've ever heard. Been spinning it a lot over the past couple of days. The more I listen - the more I keep thinking about the lost potential of this album. Mick's mixes were way better than what Glyn Johns came up with. Mick's version was almost psychedelic in its crazy mix of sounds and textures. You hear all sorts of cool details that were dropped from the remix that turned into CR. Take a track like Know Your Rights. The CR version is okay - but the Rat Patrol version is insane. It takes on a whole different direction and tone.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 11:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Much appreciated! Probably the best sounding versions of some of these tracks I've ever heard. Been spinning it a lot over the past couple of days. The more I listen - the more I keep thinking about the lost potential of this album. Mick's mixes were way better than what Glyn Johns came up with. Mick's version was almost psychedelic in its crazy mix of sounds and textures. You hear all sorts of cool details that were dropped from the remix that turned into CR. Take a track like Know Your Rights. The CR version is okay - but the Rat Patrol version is insane. It takes on a whole different direction and tone.
I love Mick's version way better. I think though for the purpose of producing a hit album and being out of debt to the record company Glyn John's version served it's purpose very well. Sadly it denied us the true vision of the artist. I like both versions of course but some of those so called "raga" mixes (yeah once again thanks Bernie) are fantastic and I think there could've easily have been Mick's longer version as album tracks and then edits made for single releases.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 11:35am
What's the best version (in your opinion) circulating?
Combat Rock

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

yetaca wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 3:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Combat Rock
With the dunk from downtown!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

yetaca wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 3:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Combat Rock
Combat Wrong.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 11:51am
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

I love Mick's version way better. I think though for the purpose of producing a hit album and being out of debt to the record company Glyn John's version served it's purpose very well. Sadly it denied us the true vision of the artist. I like both versions of course but some of those so called "raga" mixes (yeah once again thanks Bernie) are fantastic and I think there could've easily have been Mick's longer version as album tracks and then edits made for single releases.
Had another listen to Mick's mixes last night and would be in total agreement. I doubt any of Mick's mixes could have served as singles but as you say, they could have been further edited for that purpose. Johns should at least have got the death penalty for leaving "Have you no homes to go to" out of KYR. Mick's Inoculated City is a particular triumph, a track that on CR I was always ho-hum about became a solid favourite once I heard the MJ version.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:57am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 11:51am
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Had another listen to Mick's mixes last night and would be in total agreement. I doubt any of Mick's mixes could have served as singles but as you say, they could have been further edited for that purpose. Johns should at least have got the death penalty for leaving "Have you no homes to go to" out of KYR. Mick's Inoculated City is a particular triumph, a track that on CR I was always ho-hum about became a solid favourite once I heard the MJ version.
That is a great line! The whole tone of that track is lost on the CR version. Comes across as way too serious and I feel like the sarcasm and black humor of the original is lost. It still comes across - but on the original...I just feel like it is way more effective.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

There's no way some of those Rat Patrol tracks are the final/submitted versions though, right? Like, the KYR vocal is diabolical.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:07pm
There's no way some of those Rat Patrol tracks are the final/submitted versions though, right? Like, the KYR vocal is diabolical.
yeah, that's the thing (and to Hoy's post that none of us responded to). I can see a universe where a final version of Rat Patrol completed on the path that it seems like it was set on surpassed what was eventually released as Combat Rock, but I think we're really just hearing (nth-gen copies, mostly) of a work-in-progress. KYR from Rat Patrol is wretched, but I refuse to believe Mick ever meant for it to be released that way. Combat Rock actually sounds like a finished product by a professional band.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:11pm
Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:07pm
yeah, that's the thing (and to Hoy's post that none of us responded to). I can see a universe where a final version of Rat Patrol completed on the path that it seems like it was set on surpassed what was eventually released as Combat Rock, but I think we're really just hearing (nth-gen copies, mostly) of a work-in-progress. KYR from Rat Patrol is wretched, but I refuse to believe Mick ever meant for it to be released that way. Combat Rock actually sounds like a finished product by a professional band.
Yes to this "nth-gen copy". KYR is only a guide vocal in my opinion. Glyn Johns had to be working with a master tape and only made edits or removed complete tracks. What the tapes we've heard offer us is a chance to hear how Mick was working with this stuff. I doubt we've ever really heard a final mix other than what's officially released and then that may just be the best of what's left on tape. I would love to hear the tapes that were presented to Glyn Johns before he put them under the knife.

I still prefer the vesrions Mick did pre Glyn Johns mostly. As those were his original ideas and how he was shaping up the album. Of course I doubt they were his final mixes and that's where we are at as we never will. There's no way what you've heard on bootleg is what Glyn Johns had to work with.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia