Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by coffeepotman »

I'm a huge Stones fan but I think the Stones have well passed their prime, the decline from just the really good Glastonbury show of a few years ago to the 2017 tour is more than noticeable, Keith's decline is kinda sad, he screwed up the solo from Sympathy several times on the last tour and it was painful, that's pretty easy to play. Notice also he hasn't given any interviews, I wonder if the brain damage has really set in, I mean beside all the drug and alcohol abuse, he did need brain surgery a few years ago after falling our of a tree.

Their inability to produce any new music except an album of boring blues by the numbers covers is proof that they can't work together. Mick just released a single on his own probably cause Keith couldn't/wouldn't play on it.

The 2017 youtube clips of their recent tour show some bright spots but many many duds, flubs and just fuck ups.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yikes. Maybe I caught them at the tail end of it being a worthwhile endeavor.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

On the other hand, it's the Rolling freakin' Stones. Go see them while you can.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Those clips where Keef fucks up Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women were posted to show Keefs decline. Granted they've been playing much slower tempos on the just finished Euro tour, but that's maybe a good thing considering how they've traditionally played waaaay too fast live (think ''78-'82). And after all, they are old dudes.

If you want evidence that the Stones can still deliver, check out the new 'Live From the Fonda Theater, LA, 2015' DVD/CD, where they play the whole of 'Sticky Fingers'. The tempos are all nearly perfect - not too fast nor slow. And the band is exuberant, and clearly no audio doctoring or editing on this one. And after that US tour they went straight in and knocked out 'Blue and Lonesome' in three days, no overdubs or backing vox or anything, all live in the studio (sorry Coffeepotman - the album is very authentic and has tremendous sound and atmosphere. If you're not a huge post-WWII Chicago blues fan, that's legit. But it shows the lads can really do what they started out doing in their sleep and make it compelling).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

muppet hi fi wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 6:38pm
Those clips where Keef fucks up Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women were posted to show Keefs decline. Granted they've been playing much slower tempos on the just finished Euro tour, but that's maybe a good thing considering how they've traditionally played waaaay too fast live (think ''78-'82). And after all, they are old dudes.

If you want evidence that the Stones can still deliver, check out the new 'Live From the Fonda Theater, LA, 2015' DVD/CD, where they play the whole of 'Sticky Fingers'. The tempos are all nearly perfect - not too fast nor slow. And the band is exuberant, and clearly no audio doctoring or editing on this one. And after that US tour they went straight in and knocked out 'Blue and Lonesome' in three days, no overdubs or backing vox or anything, all live in the studio (sorry Coffeepotman - the album is very authentic and has tremendous sound and atmosphere. If you're not a huge post-WWII Chicago blues fan, that's legit. But it shows the lads can really do what they started out doing in their sleep and make it compelling).
I thought Blue and Lonesome was pretty fantastic. I got a copy not expecting that much - but damn - they sound good on that disc.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 5:57pm
I like the Stones but wouldn't watch that for free.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:17am
I have to say that Dave Gahan, though only in his 50's so relatively young, has never sounded better than on DM's current tour. And that man is a hard-lived 56.
My friend that saw them a couple weeks ago also confirmed this.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Heston wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:22pm
Inder wrote:
This is madness.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

People are starting to treat music here like they do food conversation.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Is the point to see an impressive show, irrespective of the band's name or history, or more of a status thing, to say that you saw this significant artist? Heston has a legitimate point that seeing a sloppy, way-past-their=prime band isn't fun, even if—maybe even especially if—they're a legendary band. Would seeing fucked-up, bloated Elvis in '77, stumbling around on stage half-singing his best-known songs, be worth it if you loved Elvis? Yeah, you saw Elvis but did you see Elvis?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:46pm
Would seeing fucked-up, bloated Elvis in '77, stumbling around on stage half-singing his best-known songs, be worth it if you loved Elvis? Yeah, you saw Elvis but did you see Elvis?
Absolutely.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:46pm
Would seeing fucked-up, bloated Elvis in '77, stumbling around on stage half-singing his best-known songs, be worth it if you loved Elvis? Yeah, you saw Elvis but did you see Elvis?
Absolutely.
To each his own and all that, but I wouldn't want to see an artist I loved when they couldn't do what made me love them. The last thing I'd want is to feel embarrassed for a band or a singer who means something to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 8:55pm
Heston wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:22pm
Inder wrote:
This is madness.
No this is Madness. I would definitely watch them for free.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

At the end of the evening, I think you generally have to ask yourself "Was it fun?" I would add that I'm of an age that I would like to see certain artists before they pass. I missed Bowie and I really regret it regardless of how the night might have gone - kind of my tribute to him would be showing up and paying for a ticket.

Perhaps a new thread might be "Artists you want to see before they (or you) die".

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

gkbill wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:47pm
I missed Bowie and I really regret it regardless of how the night might have gone - kind of my tribute to him would be showing up and paying for a ticket.
Oh man, that sucks. One of my best friends bailed on me when Joe played Toronto in 2001 — it's legitimately one of his life's biggest regrets.

Using Doc's example, if I'd already seen Elvis live before, I'd be disinclined to catch the '77 edition. If I hadn't, though, I'd definitely buy a ticket if I had the opportunity.