Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 475
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by coffeepotman » 03 Nov 2017, 4:27pm

I'm a huge Stones fan but I think the Stones have well passed their prime, the decline from just the really good Glastonbury show of a few years ago to the 2017 tour is more than noticeable, Keith's decline is kinda sad, he screwed up the solo from Sympathy several times on the last tour and it was painful, that's pretty easy to play. Notice also he hasn't given any interviews, I wonder if the brain damage has really set in, I mean beside all the drug and alcohol abuse, he did need brain surgery a few years ago after falling our of a tree.

Their inability to produce any new music except an album of boring blues by the numbers covers is proof that they can't work together. Mick just released a single on his own probably cause Keith couldn't/wouldn't play on it.

The 2017 youtube clips of their recent tour show some bright spots but many many duds, flubs and just fuck ups.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Flex » 03 Nov 2017, 5:15pm

Yikes. Maybe I caught them at the tail end of it being a worthwhile endeavor.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Inder » 03 Nov 2017, 5:57pm

On the other hand, it's the Rolling freakin' Stones. Go see them while you can.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by muppet hi fi » 03 Nov 2017, 6:38pm

Those clips where Keef fucks up Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women were posted to show Keefs decline. Granted they've been playing much slower tempos on the just finished Euro tour, but that's maybe a good thing considering how they've traditionally played waaaay too fast live (think ''78-'82). And after all, they are old dudes.

If you want evidence that the Stones can still deliver, check out the new 'Live From the Fonda Theater, LA, 2015' DVD/CD, where they play the whole of 'Sticky Fingers'. The tempos are all nearly perfect - not too fast nor slow. And the band is exuberant, and clearly no audio doctoring or editing on this one. And after that US tour they went straight in and knocked out 'Blue and Lonesome' in three days, no overdubs or backing vox or anything, all live in the studio (sorry Coffeepotman - the album is very authentic and has tremendous sound and atmosphere. If you're not a huge post-WWII Chicago blues fan, that's legit. But it shows the lads can really do what they started out doing in their sleep and make it compelling).

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 184
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by WestwayKid » 03 Nov 2017, 7:01pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 6:38pm
Those clips where Keef fucks up Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women were posted to show Keefs decline. Granted they've been playing much slower tempos on the just finished Euro tour, but that's maybe a good thing considering how they've traditionally played waaaay too fast live (think ''78-'82). And after all, they are old dudes.

If you want evidence that the Stones can still deliver, check out the new 'Live From the Fonda Theater, LA, 2015' DVD/CD, where they play the whole of 'Sticky Fingers'. The tempos are all nearly perfect - not too fast nor slow. And the band is exuberant, and clearly no audio doctoring or editing on this one. And after that US tour they went straight in and knocked out 'Blue and Lonesome' in three days, no overdubs or backing vox or anything, all live in the studio (sorry Coffeepotman - the album is very authentic and has tremendous sound and atmosphere. If you're not a huge post-WWII Chicago blues fan, that's legit. But it shows the lads can really do what they started out doing in their sleep and make it compelling).
I thought Blue and Lonesome was pretty fantastic. I got a copy not expecting that much - but damn - they sound good on that disc.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26092
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Heston » 03 Nov 2017, 7:22pm

Inder wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 5:57pm
On the other hand, it's the Rolling freakin' Stones. Go see them while you can.
I like the Stones but wouldn't watch that for free.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7371
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Kory » 03 Nov 2017, 8:02pm

JennyB wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:17am
I have to say that Dave Gahan, though only in his 50's so relatively young, has never sounded better than on DM's current tour. And that man is a hard-lived 56.
My friend that saw them a couple weeks ago also confirmed this.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Inder » 03 Nov 2017, 8:55pm

Heston wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:22pm
Inder wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 5:57pm
On the other hand, it's the Rolling freakin' Stones. Go see them while you can.
I like the Stones but wouldn't watch that for free.
This is madness.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Flex » 03 Nov 2017, 9:23pm

People are starting to treat music here like they do food conversation.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Nov 2017, 9:46pm

Is the point to see an impressive show, irrespective of the band's name or history, or more of a status thing, to say that you saw this significant artist? Heston has a legitimate point that seeing a sloppy, way-past-their=prime band isn't fun, even if—maybe even especially if—they're a legendary band. Would seeing fucked-up, bloated Elvis in '77, stumbling around on stage half-singing his best-known songs, be worth it if you loved Elvis? Yeah, you saw Elvis but did you see Elvis?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Inder » 03 Nov 2017, 9:52pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:46pm
Would seeing fucked-up, bloated Elvis in '77, stumbling around on stage half-singing his best-known songs, be worth it if you loved Elvis? Yeah, you saw Elvis but did you see Elvis?
Absolutely.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Nov 2017, 10:10pm

Inder wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:46pm
Would seeing fucked-up, bloated Elvis in '77, stumbling around on stage half-singing his best-known songs, be worth it if you loved Elvis? Yeah, you saw Elvis but did you see Elvis?
Absolutely.
To each his own and all that, but I wouldn't want to see an artist I loved when they couldn't do what made me love them. The last thing I'd want is to feel embarrassed for a band or a singer who means something to me.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35380
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 10:23pm

Inder wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 8:55pm
Heston wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:22pm
Inder wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 5:57pm
On the other hand, it's the Rolling freakin' Stones. Go see them while you can.
I like the Stones but wouldn't watch that for free.
This is madness.
No this is Madness. I would definitely watch them for free.
Image
Image
Image

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1120
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by gkbill » 03 Nov 2017, 11:47pm

Hello,

At the end of the evening, I think you generally have to ask yourself "Was it fun?" I would add that I'm of an age that I would like to see certain artists before they pass. I missed Bowie and I really regret it regardless of how the night might have gone - kind of my tribute to him would be showing up and paying for a ticket.

Perhaps a new thread might be "Artists you want to see before they (or you) die".

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Inder » 04 Nov 2017, 2:31am

gkbill wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:47pm
I missed Bowie and I really regret it regardless of how the night might have gone - kind of my tribute to him would be showing up and paying for a ticket.
Oh man, that sucks. One of my best friends bailed on me when Joe played Toronto in 2001 — it's legitimately one of his life's biggest regrets.

Using Doc's example, if I'd already seen Elvis live before, I'd be disinclined to catch the '77 edition. If I hadn't, though, I'd definitely buy a ticket if I had the opportunity.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Marky Dread and 4 guests