Best Remote Control

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Which is the best version?

First album version
67%
Vanilla Tapes version
33%

Total votes: 27

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:38pm
Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:26pm

JJ was earmarked as the next single by the band if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah I think so mate. Couldn't see it getting a release though.
God Save the Queen got to number one (aside from chart trickery by the establishment), I think just invoking the name of Janie Jones, high class pimpette, would have been okay.
He is love with getting stoned woaaah! I doubt the radio would play it. They didn't want GStQ on the radio either Peel played it late at night and it was discussed on Brian Wolf's Open Line radio program. So I expect CBS who were not one for getting their fingers burned would've wanted it. Of course this is pure conjecture on my part.
Yeah, I guess that Sunday Morning Coming Down and Eight Miles High were less contentious because they didn't come from those spotty little punk rocker herberts.
"Stoned Out of My Mind" was a pretty groovy top 40 hit for the Chi-Lites back in the 70s. ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:25pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

God Save the Queen got to number one (aside from chart trickery by the establishment), I think just invoking the name of Janie Jones, high class pimpette, would have been okay.
He is love with getting stoned woaaah! I doubt the radio would play it. They didn't want GStQ on the radio either Peel played it late at night and it was discussed on Brian Wolf's Open Line radio program. So I expect CBS who were not one for getting their fingers burned would've wanted it. Of course this is pure conjecture on my part.
Yeah, I guess that Sunday Morning Coming Down and Eight Miles High were less contentious because they didn't come from those spotty little punk rocker herberts.
"Stoned Out of My Mind" was a pretty groovy top 40 hit for the Chi-Lites back in the 70s. ;)
Drugs reference yes but a different context. Ones a bunch of scruffy punk rockers singing about a guy who is in love with getting stoned. The other a nice harmonic group singing about the heartache caused by a girl.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:57pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:54pm
Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
Here's another point to discuss. The band didn't want CBS to release the single because they had already released "White Riot" however the single version of WR is not on the album when it came from the same sessions and maybe it should've been. Perhaps the Beaconsfield version should've been the single as a lot of folks prefer that. I prefer the single with the sirens.
Good point. I much prefer the Beaconsfield version so could have lived with that being the single. Then the album would have had a more uniform sound.
Yeah. I remember getting the import s/t in late '77 and, having read about "White Riot", thought it was a beast, all it was cracked up to be. Imagine my surprise when I got the 45 a year later and thought it was, as you Brits might say, a bit twee. (although I love the handclaps and Pauls walking bassline, which he never seemed to play live, maybe cause the band played it too bloody fast. Fucking Topper! :mrgreen: ).
Yeah, the single version is just too nice.

I actually think White Riot is the best sounding song on the first album, everything should have sounded like this, raw as hell and urgent as fuck.
I actually agree, and I don't care a lot about the Polydor and Beaconsfield demos. But what can you do - release your debut album from live versions?

Actually I think "Janie Jones" is absolutely perfect on s/t. It was always played too fast with Topper, and even sounded a bit off on the Combat Rock tour with Terry (although better than Topper, IMO). It's like the Stones with "Satisfaction" - they never really got the vibe of the studio version down. Ya know? Slower and more propulsive = sexier and more compelling a lot of the time.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:31pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Drugs reference yes but a different context. Ones a bunch of scruffy punk rockers singing about a guy who is in love with getting stoned. The other a nice harmonic group singing about the heartache caused by a girl.
I bet at least one member of the Chi-lites liked a bit of draw. ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:32pm
Actually I think "Janie Jones" is absolutely perfect on s/t. It was always played too fast with Topper, and even sounded a bit off on the Combat Rock tour with Terry (although better than Topper, IMO). It's like the Stones with "Satisfaction" - they never really got the vibe of the studio version down. Ya know? Slower and more propulsive = sexier and more compelling a lot of the time.
Totally, I don't think Topper ever nailed it. I think the best live versions of the first album songs were played best around 77-78-early 79. Later on it sounded like they were going through the motions a bit with some of the s/t songs. Their heads were obviously in a different place by that time.
Last edited by Heston on 02 Nov 2017, 9:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
Here's another point to discuss. The band didn't want CBS to release the single because they had already released "White Riot" however the single version of WR is not on the album when it came from the same sessions and maybe it should've been. Perhaps the Beaconsfield version should've been the single as a lot of folks prefer that. I prefer the single with the sirens.
Good point. I much prefer the Beaconsfield version so could have lived with that being the single. Then the album would have had a more uniform sound.
Yeah. I remember getting the import s/t in late '77 and, having read about "White Riot", thought it was a beast, all it was cracked up to be. Imagine my surprise when I got the 45 a year later and thought it was, as you Brits might say, a bit twee. (although I love the handclaps and Pauls walking bassline, which he never seemed to play live, maybe cause the band played it too bloody fast. Fucking Topper! :mrgreen: ).

I actually think White Riot is the best sounding song on the first album, everything should have sounded like this, raw as hell and urgent as fuck.
I actually agree, and I don't care a lot about the Polydor and Beaconsfield demos. But what can you do - release your debut album from live versions?

Yeah but you would've only ended up with half of the album sounding that raw as they only recorded what 6 songs at Beaconsfield. I don't agree that those versions are all better than the stuff recorded at CBBS studios, London. I do really like one of the versions of 1977 but that never made the album anyway.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:31pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I bet at least one member of the Chi-lites liked a bit of draw. ;)
Okay Mr. Heston if you wanna play. I bet all four members of The Clash were really good boys and never touched any. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:39pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah but you would've only ended up with half of the album sounding that raw as they only recorded what 6 songs at Beaconsfield. I don't agree that those versions are all better than the stuff recorded at CBBS studios, London. I do really like one of the versions of 1977 but that never made the album anyway.
Yeah, it's only really White Riot that sounds better from the Beaconsfield sessions, but I'm just imagining a situation where they recorded the full album with the Beaconsfield sound but more time for overdubs etc. That White Riot is just so powerful and raw for me, the rest of the album slightly withers in comparison.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I've always wondered why London's Burning was released as the B-side to Remote Control in mono only. The Beaconsfield demos all appear to be in stereo.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Yeah, it's only really White Riot that sounds better from the Beaconsfield sessions, but I'm just imagining a situation where they recorded the full album with the Beaconsfield sound but more time for overdubs etc. That White Riot is just so powerful and raw for me, the rest of the album slightly withers in comparison.
I think I love single more because I had that first. I remember what thrill it was listening to those police sirens at the start. I suppose maybe my ideal version might be the Beaconsfield version with the sirens added. However there are three versions complete from Beaconsfield the demo produced by Mickey Foote that is the album version with extra production and the handclaps removed (on the album version you can still hear one handclap around 1 min 24 secs mark) and one without backing vocals the other is the one the one used for the promo film by Julian Temple and I prefer that one best.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Yeah and have to remember how bad the lyrics were to "I'm So Bored with the U.S.A." on the Beaconsfield version with all that wearing a baseball shirt and looking like he's ready to bat nonsense. The backing track is great but urghh those lyrics are awful.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:21pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hey the BBC banned Space Oddity. So who knows but if something was current news that could offend then the Beeb in their holier than thou wisdom would ban it. If you brought attention to yourselves like the Pistols then you were sure to be banned until the dust settled. "All over news, spread fast. They're dirty, they're filthy. They ain't a gonna last".
Hey guys, relax, don’t do it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:21pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Hey the BBC banned Space Oddity. So who knows but if something was current news that could offend then the Beeb in their holier than thou wisdom would ban it. If you brought attention to yourselves like the Pistols then you were sure to be banned until the dust settled. "All over news, spread fast. They're dirty, they're filthy. They ain't a gonna last".
Hey guys, relax, don’t do it.
What about when you wanna come?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:48pm
I've always wondered why London's Burning was released as the B-side to Remote Control in mono only. The Beaconsfield demos all appear to be in stereo.
I always thought it was to partially financially justify that promo video they shot.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

There's a lot of merit to the single version, but Beaconsfield really punches you in the face with its rawness. For a song about anger and energy, having a rougher, tougher sound really compliments it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.