Rude Boy

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:05pm
gkbill wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:42pm
Hello,

Was it Keith Moon who said of his bandmates "I don't have any friends but if I did, it wouldn't be this lot!"?
Sounds like Mooney. I still love that clip from "The Kids Are Alright" when the band are being interviewed and they are asked their names, Mooney replies "my friends call me Keith, you can call me John" brilliant stuff.
Ah man, I really need to watch that right now, what a doc.

When I complain about the Clash's incompetence with DVD releases, this is the kind of thing I'm thinking about. Imagine a well-edited Clash version of The Kids Are Alright with the best bits of interviews etc, it would be immense.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:05pm
gkbill wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:42pm
Hello,

Was it Keith Moon who said of his bandmates "I don't have any friends but if I did, it wouldn't be this lot!"?
Sounds like Mooney. I still love that clip from "The Kids Are Alright" when the band are being interviewed and they are asked their names, Mooney replies "my friends call me Keith, you can call me John" brilliant stuff.
Ah man, I really need to watch that right now, what a doc.

When I complain about the Clash's incompetence with DVD releases, this is the kind of thing I'm thinking about. Imagine a well-edited Clash version of The Kids Are Alright with the best bits of interviews etc, it would be immense.
I would love it. TKAA is one of my fave RnR movies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Edit: That YouTube version of The Kids Are Alright isn't running at the right speed. Everyone should buy the DVD.
Last edited by Heston on 02 Nov 2017, 10:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I've probably watched that 50 times.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:53pm
Me too and it's about to become 51.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Me and a brother and some mates saw 'The Kids Are Alright' in the theater when it was released. I'd already bought the double LP, and we all had a jolly time. Then went to Jeff's basement and made un-Godly racket. Aah, good times... :approve:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:55pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:53pm
Me too and it's about to become 51.
Of course I could say I've watched it more than both of you but I don't want to seem old. Therefore I've only watched it 49 times. Bought the original vinyl album replaced it with CD bought the DVD and now own the Bluray.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:09pm
Me and a brother and some mates saw 'The Kids Are Alright' in the theater when it was released. I'd already bought the double LP, and we all had a jolly time. Then went to Jeff's basement and made un-Godly racket. Aah, good times... :approve:
Listening to The Who is all jolly well and good young man. But this here is a respectable board and we have no wish to hear about your disgusting sexual exploits. Please show a modicum of decency.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:13pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Listening to The Who is all jolly well and good young man. But this here is a respectable board and we have no wish to hear about your disgusting sexual exploits. Please show a modicum of decency.
Bloody hell, it was about as sexual as throwing a baseball or football. Guitars, bass and drums. As poorly played as if there had been girls present. :disshame:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Bloody hell, it was about as sexual as throwing a baseball or football. Guitars, bass and drums. As poorly played as if there had been girls present. :disshame:
Homo boys club. :mrgreen: Rude boy indeed

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:24pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Shutups. I'm a boy I'm a boy but my mum doesn't know it...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
You've got your mother in a whirl.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:36pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hot tramp - I hate you so! :fuck:
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 03 Nov 2017, 12:02am, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 12:00am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:36pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Hot tramp - I hate you so! :fuck: :fuck:
That's better :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 3:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 3:26pm
From all i've read it came across as a totally dysfunctional relationship, probably well before the end, and was all but beyond rescue. I see the Joe/Mick partnership as something akin to a marriage, even the tightest marriages sometimes break down though deep down, the two people know they still love each other dearly. Then comes the break up and the remembrance of what it was that drew you to your partner in the first place, there's no going back at that point though.
Not all marriages that drift apart end in separation though. Lot's of bands have continued where various members have a dislike of one another. Given time these things can mend and Joe and Mick became friends again fairly soon afterwards. The pressure of being The Clash and different members musical ambitions and idealogy may have weighed heavily. And an old mother hen (hello Bernie) sticking it's beak in where it wasn't needed.
I'd go along with all that. I think Joe being the romantic dreamer naturally assumed they'd just go and pick up the pieces while pragmatic Mick realised that things can never be the same second time around and so it was time to move on. I dont know enough about other bands to avoid speaking in generalities but I agree about the pressure and ideology. If there is a contemporary rock band that carries as much baggage (in a metaphorical sense) as the Clash did, then I havent heard of them. Dramatic I know, but i'm inclined to think there was a sense of destiny about it from the very beginning, only a surprise in that they managed to survive as long as they did.
I just can’t believe Joe, Paul, Bernie, Kosmo, whoever could have ever been deluded enough to think getting rid of Mick would not kill the band. I wasn’t there. I don’t know what the relationship was like, but Mick Jones was/is a huge talent and if they couldn’t see/understand his place in the machine then they deserved to end up with Vince White in the band.

Speaking of Vince, I recall an interview where he talks about Joe’s relationship with Bernie and about how Joe was essentially willing to go along with anything Bernie said because John Mellor truly believed that Bernie had created Joe Strummer. In Vince’s opinion (and it makes sense), Joe was deeply insecure at heart and never accepted that he became who he became on his own. It was Bernie who took him from a pub rock band and a squat to being a spokesman for a generation.

I’ve always felt that the sacking of Mick had more to do with Bernie than Joe. Bernie wanted control. He wanted more creative input or whatever and he knew he would never get that with Mick in the band. Mick was the musician of the group. He was the creative vision.

I think Bernie definitely helped create a situation where Mick became more and more of an outsider. I think a lot of Joe’s self-flagellation after the fact was based on the fact that he realized he’d been used by Bernie to oust Mick (and in the process destroy the band). I think it really hurt him to realize he had a part in what happened and that he could have done something, but didn’t.

Again, I wasn’t there. I didn’t know Joe. I don’t know Mick or Paul or Bernie or anyone else who was associated with the band. This is just my opinion based upon what I’ve read and seen and heard.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble