What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:03pm
The Replacements, Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, Illinois, 1989. 'With Special Guest Mr. Liquor'.
Excellent audience tape; even better performance. No knock on Bob, but Slim helped made this band (when they were on) a perfect Stonesy pop-tastic band that should have made millions and had their songs in the canon of all the classics. All the best to you and Chrissy and the kids, Slim.
I'm not disagreeing with you about Slim. But part of The Replacements charm live was the chaotic performance. It's like a Thunders show in a way.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:04am
muppet hi fi wrote:
The Replacements, Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, Illinois, 1989. 'With Special Guest Mr. Liquor'.
Excellent audience tape; even better performance. No knock on Bob, but Slim helped made this band (when they were on) a perfect Stonesy pop-tastic band that should have made millions and had their songs in the canon of all the classics. All the best to you and Chrissy and the kids, Slim.
I'm not disagreeing with you about Slim. But part of The Replacements charm live was the chaotic performance. It's like a Thunders show in a way.
Well, in the Slim years they were often even more chaotic and ramshackle (probably due to increased alcohol intake and better drugs). And conversely, the new live album (with Bob in '86) is very together but strikes me as a bit flat somehow, not sure why (it's still great tho). So go figure...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Well, in the Slim years they were often even more chaotic and ramshackle (probably due to increased alcohol intake and better drugs). And conversely, the new live album (with Bob in '86) is very together but strikes me as a bit flat somehow, not sure why (it's still great tho). So go figure...
Daredevil said the new live album has a lot of the inbetween song banter cut compared to the boot. This is a real shame as that adds to the atmosphere and feel.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:36pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Daredevil said the new live album has a lot of the inbetween song banter cut compared to the boot. This is a real shame as that adds to the atmosphere and feel.
Yeah, I dunno if I've ever heard the boot, but it's considered a classic, and I can only guess that there was a lot of banter on it that was cut. And yeah, it really does add to a performance, especially with a band like the 'Mats or Johnny Thunders (providing they're playing reasonably well). Given the intensity of bands like that, you almost need time to de-compress after a song, especially if they're really on that night.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Yeah, I dunno if I've ever heard the boot, but it's considered a classic, and I can only guess that there was a lot of banter on it that was cut. And yeah, it really does add to a performance, especially with a band like the 'Mats or Johnny Thunders (providing they're playing reasonably well). Given the intensity of bands like that, you almost need time to de-compress after a song, especially if they're really on that night.
Yep you are bang on the money here mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:54pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

And lemme just say that's one of the reasons the Ramones were so exhausting to see (only saw them once in about 1980 or so): there was no banter, no real theatricality for relief, no great "audience rapport" - just "One, two, three, faw..." and it's on again.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 6:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

And lemme just say that's one of the reasons the Ramones were so exhausting to see (only saw them once in about 1980 or so): there was no banter, no real theatricality for relief, no great "audience rapport" - just "One, two, three, faw..." and it's on again.
I think the Ramones did that deliberately as they were going against the grain. Also they were really the band who were designed to play for 30-35 mins and just blow you away. I loved them so much and always will.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 6:04pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 6:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think the Ramones did that deliberately as they were going against the grain. Also they were really the band who were designed to play for 30-35 mins and just blow you away. I loved them so much and always will.
Oh for sure, mate. That was their "artistic statement", almost an anti-artistic statement. They didn't pause to tell you about how/why/what the song was written about, crack jokes, take the piss, be rude, heckle the audience or even interact with them. Just 'wham-bam-thank you ma'am' and outta there. That was their statement. 30 minutes and we're all niiice. Keef once said the same thing in an interview when the topic of Springsteen's marathon shows came up.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'm spending the afternoon at 101's house. And were are listening to these.

We're having a great time and I've just seen 101 disappear over the hill with a 1000 men.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:20am

We're having a great time and I've just seen 101 disappear over the hill with a 1000 men.
Wunderbar alright.
I always liked The Great Rock’n Roll Swindle as a song just spoilt by the singers. Shame there is no Sid version.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Jenny Lewis (from Rilo Kiley), 'Acid Tongue', 2010.
"Carpetbagger" is such a great song, featuring Elvis Costello.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Marky Dread wrote:

Third guy from left, shave the unibrow and you got a pretty decent Joe Strummer lookalike.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Pop Will Eat Itself - Anti-Nasty League. Semi-innovative. Semi-energetic. Enjoyable. PWEI is still around. This album is solid but they have more of a metal/industrial leaning. To me, that indicates their creative juices are running low (compare this to This is the Day...). Still, this is a decent listen.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Third guy from left, shave the unibrow and you got a pretty decent Joe Strummer lookalike.
I think he looks more like Bill Berry.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:05am
Chuck Mangione wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I think he looks more like Bill Berry.
I think he looks more like Mary Berry. Old Bob kingston a good rock 'n' roll guitar player.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia