Best Remote Control

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Which is the best version?

First album version
67%
Vanilla Tapes version
33%

Total votes: 27

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Silent Majority »

I was working up an acoustic version of this the other day, it's such a great piece of songwriting.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:21pm
I was working up an acoustic version of this the other day, it's such a great piece of songwriting.
Superb songwriting. I think the rest of the band took the piss when Mick presented it to them, calling it a mini-rock opera or something. That was the kind of the stuff that set the Clash apart for me. It only seems to get bad press because of the single release debacle, it should have been a staple of their gigs for a lot longer.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Superb songwriting. I think the rest of the band took the piss when Mick presented it to them, calling it a mini-rock opera or something. That was the kind of the stuff that set the Clash apart for me. It only seems to get bad press because of the single release debacle, it should have been a staple of their gigs for a lot longer.
Really, the structure of the worst of their post-'79 stuff could have used some more gear changes like the ones that drive Remote Control.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:37pm
Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Really, the structure of the worst of their post-'79 stuff could have used some more gear changes like the ones that drive Remote Control.
It is definitely unfairly maligned because of the single release. It's literally the only song from the S/T that isn't on their first box set in any form.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Terry's drumming on the original is very combative and good. One can easily mistake it for Topper when listening to it.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Completely forgot this existed.

I take back what I said in the other thread — this is a hidden gem in LC25. 😎

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

The original also has the handclapping in it which adds to the overall realness of the song.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

What is this inauthentic trash? demands Chuck, confronted with a song devoid of handclaps.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 3:54pm
What is this inauthentic trash? demands Chuck, confronted with a song devoid of handclaps.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

:lol:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Not really a fair comparison. Two very different settings played by different sounding bands. They are both great but I will take the S/T single version. It's excellent that the band still had a real fondness for the song.

Here's another point to discuss. The band didn't want CBS to release the single because they had already released "White Riot" however the single version of WR is not on the album when it came from the same sessions and maybe it should've been. Perhaps the Beaconsfield version should've been the single as a lot of folks prefer that. I prefer the single with the sirens.

So back to "Remote Control" CBS obviously chose that track as the most radio friendly song on the album. My question is if not RC then what other track do you think would've made a good single. Remember the record company would've probably been unhappy with references to drugs and swearing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
So back to "Remote Control" CBS obviously chose that track as the most radio friendly song on the album. My question is if not RC then what other track do you think would've made a good single. Remember the record company would've probably been unhappy with references to drugs and swearing.
I like RC as a single, tho London's Burning probably would have been a good 'un, I think. Maybe Career Opportunities.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
I like RC as a single, tho London's Burning probably would have been a good 'un, I think. Maybe Career Opportunities.
Yep agree on all of those Flex. When RC was released I used to play it more than WR and that was a lot. LB was used as a B-side from Beaconsfield of course on the clip of RC. I think it would've made a great single. 1977 should've been on the album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Drug reference aside, I'm So Bored With The USA would have been a storming single.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 6:05pm
Drug reference aside, I'm So Bored With The USA would have been a storming single.
Don't think that would have got any radio play. Now as far as a punk band were concerned they may not of cared. But no way CBS would've released that at the time. I expect Starsky & Hutch and Kojak were probably CBS backed Tv programs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia