Rude Boy

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:25pm
Low Down Low wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:09pm
Gave Rude Boy a spin last night after a gap of many years. It does not get any better with age quite frankly.
If you are after film of the band then it's pretty cool. If you want a movie about 70's social commentary then look elsewhere.
Yep, the band footage is neat, but all of the things that go into to making it a movie suck in a major way. One minute Ray is outside the railings swigging a beer, the next he's at the side of the stage and having deep meaningful conversations with Joe Strummer. Like, care to explain how that unlikely scenario came to pass? My favourite bit is when Topper randomly and pointlessly lays into Ray, pretty much sums the whole venture up for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Gave Rude Boy a spin last night after a gap of many years. It does not get any better with age quite frankly.
If you are after film of the band then it's pretty cool. If you want a movie about 70's social commentary then look elsewhere.
Shame they used the band to make a hamfisted attempt at social commentary, then. Imagine if Scorsese had filmed them, like the Last Waltz and left the makers of Rude Boy in the paper waste basket of history where they belonged. We had one shot at a Clash film, and it just had to have a non-actor pretending to get unconvincing fellatio in it.
I know we've got the Broadway movie of sorts. But just imagine if Scorsese had filmed the Bonds stuff like Last Waltz. No disrespect to Don Lets who did a great job especially the clip of the band backstage coming down to the stage with "60 Seconds to What?" playing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Shame they used the band to make a hamfisted attempt at social commentary, then. Imagine if Scorsese had filmed them, like the Last Waltz and left the makers of Rude Boy in the paper waste basket of history where they belonged. We had one shot at a Clash film, and it just had to have a non-actor pretending to get unconvincing fellatio in it.
This is the Clash way, and always was. The whole Clash story is like a black farce and I sometimes wonder if it's that's what endears me to them as much as the music.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:32pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
This is the Clash way, and always was. The whole Clash story is like a black farce and I sometimes wonder if it's that's what endears me to them as much as the music.
Yeah I get that same feeling. A band always a stones throw away from greatness but yet always just a touch out of reach. Like they never wanted to make that final reach. And if they hit the jackpot they would feel like it was wrong and purposely sabotage their own success.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:44pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah I get that same feeling. A band always a stones throw away from greatness but yet always just a touch out of reach. Like they never wanted to make that final reach. And if they hit the jackpot they would feel like it was wrong and purposely sabotage their own success.
Yep.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Too much head clutter to remember which show exactly, one of the US ones I think, in which Joe sarkily introduces White Man by saying this was a single in the UK which nobody bought. So typical - they refuse blankly to play the game yet still harbour bitterness at having to suffer the consequences for it. Personally i've always found their attitude oddly endearing, if hard to justify in any logical way.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yep.
One could argue this is exactly what happened to them. The "jackpot" was very much within reach and they sabotaged themselves (Mick? Ah...we don't need him). Whether it was a conscious decision or not - Joe allowed himself to be swayed to that position and he had to know what sacking Mick meant.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:30pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yep.
One could argue this is exactly what happened to them. The "jackpot" was very much within reach and they sabotaged themselves (Mick? Ah...we don't need him). Whether it was a conscious decision or not - Joe allowed himself to be swayed to that position and he had to know what sacking Mick meant.
I’m not convinced the band were that aware or acted with the big picture in the forefront of their minds? They always seemed to be a day by day band very wrapped up in their own world.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:34pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yep.
I’m not convinced the band were that aware or acted with the big picture in the forefront of their minds? They always seemed to be a day by day band very wrapped up in their own world.
I get what you are saying 101. But fuck me Clash don't you realise the guitar player is Mick Jones. They don't come along very often and it's even fucking rarer via a number 19 bus.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yep.
Let's not blame Joe entirely here — MJ by his own admission was at maximum rock star prima donna-dom by '83. Like, Joe and Paul didn't just wake up one day and decide to sack Mick for fun.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:43pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yep.
Let's not blame Joe entirely here — MJ by his own admission was at maximum rock star prima donna-dom by '83. Like, Joe and Paul didn't just wake up one day and decide to sack Mick for fun.
...of course Joe and Paul wanting to sack Mick didn't make them big headed rock stars. Joe long since acknowledged he was simply wrong and that Mick was well worth waiting for prima donna or not. Quite literally one of the biggest mistakes in rock 'n' roll history.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:40pm
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yep.
I get what you are saying 101. But fuck me Clash don't you realise the guitar player is Mick Jones. They don't come along very often and it's even fucking rarer via a number 19 bus.
It’s like this. A friend of mine who is a 7 somehow managed to marry a 10 and no one disputed she was a 10. However she was a pain in the arse and after a few years he left her and now can’t stand her (they have 2 kids so have to stay in contact). Everyone tells him how mad he is and can’t believe he left her etc.. but in his eyes she is now a 1 and that won’t change so no regrets on his part.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:49pm
...of course Joe and Paul wanting to sack Mick didn't make them big headed rock stars. Joe long since acknowledged he was simply wrong and that Mick was well worth waiting for prima donna or not.
I'm not sure what you mean here...? My point is that they didn't like each other very much by the end.

Joe's self-flagellating interviews on the subject later on are pretty embarrassing tbh — as if he was doing penance. Paul, who also participated in the decision to get rid of Mick, has never apologized/"acknowledged he was simply wrong," at least publicly.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:40pm
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yep.
It’s like this. A friend of mine who is a 7 somehow managed to marry a 10 and no one disputed she was a 10. However she was a pain in the arse and after a few years he left her and now can’t stand her (they have 2 kids so have to stay in contact). Everyone tells him how mad he is and can’t believe he left her etc.. but in his eyes she is now a 1 and that won’t change so no regrets on his part.
It ain't nothing like that mate. Mick was a 10 and The Clash carried on with two 5's. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:49pm
...of course Joe and Paul wanting to sack Mick didn't make them big headed rock stars. Joe long since acknowledged he was simply wrong and that Mick was well worth waiting for prima donna or not.
I'm not sure what you mean here...? My point is that they didn't like each other very much by the end.

Joe's self-flagellating interviews on the subject later on are pretty embarrassing tbh — as if he was doing penance. Paul, who also participated in the decision to get rid of Mick, has never apologized/"acknowledged he was simply wrong," at least publicly.
They may well not have liked each other that much by the end. But that never stopped Joe travelling to wherever to get Mick back in the group at one point. I'm saying Mick being a prima donna is a crap reason to sack him from his own band. Joe and Paul must've felt they were good enough without him. Paul who was taught to play bass by Mick and Joe who being an awesome frontman needing Mick to bounce ideas off and be the creative one. That's pretty big headed of both of them when you consider Mick's input/output for the band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia