Clashing again

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clashing again

Post by WestwayKid »

eumaas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:03pm
Just noticed that it doesn't have Justice Tonight/Kick It Over, which I always thought was their finest dub. So I guess having SBMC is still good.
For a handful of tracks - but I echo everyone else - Sound System is worth the price. The sound is fantastic.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:51am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:30am
Inder wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:55am
eumaas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:45am
Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:22pm
Their greatest album, a good comp, and some filler.

The perfect Clash experience. :shifty:
I considered getting London Calling, but the anniversary edition with the demos (which I have never listened to!) is OOP. And anyway I think I have heard LC enough. The title track has become oversaturated in film/TV.

I would rather a good singles/B-sides comp than the US s/t. I think UK is a good album but not the best of '77.

I never bought the singles box. Is it worth it? Pricey.
The demos are OK, no great shakes or hidden gems imo. Cool to listen to for the first time, though.

The Sound System Extras discs are an excellent career-spanning odds and sods type thing. I think they basically replace SBMC and add some other stuff.
It's got the only tolerable listen of Lover's Rock, the instrumental Guns of Brixton is one of the spookiest things they've ever done, and I'm convinced from Remote Control 2 that s/t U.S. should've been done as a straight into-the-can 1979 re-record of s/t U.K...Topper-fied.
Never got the love for that version of Remote Control. Just sounds like a half-arsed run through to me, the debut album version is just fine.
I like Topper over Terry and Joe's non-dopey 77 voice. Sound quality is a bit rough though, so it doesn't replace s/t for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Also, Heart and Mind is a gem for me. Particularly with the Keys to Your Heart outro.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Heston wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Inder wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:22pm
Their greatest album, a good comp, and some filler.

The perfect Clash experience. :shifty:
I considered getting London Calling, but the anniversary edition with the demos (which I have never listened to!) is OOP. And anyway I think I have heard LC enough. The title track has become oversaturated in film/TV.

I would rather a good singles/B-sides comp than the US s/t. I think UK is a good album but not the best of '77.

The demos are OK, no great shakes or hidden gems imo. Cool to listen to for the first time, though.

The Sound System Extras discs are an excellent career-spanning odds and sods type thing. I think they basically replace SBMC and add some other stuff.
It's got the only tolerable listen of Lover's Rock, the instrumental Guns of Brixton is one of the spookiest things they've ever done, and I'm convinced from Remote Control 2 that s/t U.S. should've been done as a straight into-the-can 1979 re-record of s/t U.K...Topper-fied.
Never got the love for that version of Remote Control. Just sounds like a half-arsed run through to me, the debut album version is just fine.
DCT may have lost its luster, but we still have Hoyston's fractal wrongness to concentrate our hate. :rolleyes:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:40pm
Heston wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Inder wrote:
eumaas wrote:

DCT may have lost its luster, but we still have Hoyston's fractal wrongness to concentrate our hate. :rolleyes:
Well I might just have to take this one to the poll booth.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The Clash are so ingrained in my DNA that when I am out and about if a Clash song comes on in a bar etc.. I look around to see who put it on presuming that it is for me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 7:40pm
especially his Paul-less version of LC
Isn't that just LC?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:25am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:24am
Sound System is such an improvement in sound quality that it outright replaces the albums for me.
Ditto. The remastering work was top-notch.
Won't play on old CD players though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Sound System is such an improvement in sound quality that it outright replaces the albums for me.
I went the iTunes route. I don't own a whole lotta cd's these days—usually only Wire and Swans, because I buy directly from the band.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:17pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
I went the iTunes route. I don't own a whole lotta cd's these days—usually only Wire and Swans, because I buy directly from the band.
Does iTunes offer WAV, or just MP3?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:17pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Does iTunes offer WAV, or just MP3?
320 AACs only, I think. Apple does have its own lossless format, but I don't think I've ever seen it as an option from the store. I assume it's only for ripping your own discs and is appealing because iPods, etc can play them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:22pm
Also, Heart and Mind is a gem for me. Particularly with the Keys to Your Heart outro.
I'm no fan of Heart and Mind. Glad it's out, absolutely unnecessary. There's nothing there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:15pm
matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:22pm
I'm no fan of Heart and Mind. Glad it's out, absolutely unnecessary. There's nothing there.
Yeah, it's almost like an outtake of an outtake when you consider how much it sounds like One Emotion.

The Vanilla Tapes are something I revisit very rarely, they are just too rough and sketchy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I hope this doesn't upset anyone too much (er....dr medulla), but you can get Sound System - in a range of high res formats like FLAC or WAV - for £12.49 at junodownload.com.

https://www.junodownload.com/search/?q% ... ormat=aiff

I know very little about this website but it seems to be aimed at DJs/mixers cos it lists tracks with a BPM count. Check out those Clash tempos, folks, if you like that sort of thing. Fastest seems to be IFTL Live at the Lyceum at 159 BPM, and the slowest is Stop The World at 51 BPM
Although I don't think they've got the info quite right - they have Clashabilly toe-tapper Know Your Rights as one of the slowest tracks at 55 BPM... and One More Time = 66 BPM, but One More Dub = 133 BPM?!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

101Walterton wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:21pm
The Clash are so ingrained in my DNA that when I am out and about if a Clash song comes on in a bar etc.. I look around to see who put it on presuming that it is for me.
I don't get out and about too much these days, but I hear what you're saying, Wally. When a Clash tune shows on the telly or in the pub or wherever I always find myself checking the faces and body language of those around me. Their stuff still seems so contemporary and, dare I say it - relevant.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs