What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Wolter » 25 Oct 2017, 3:38pm

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 2:44pm
Wolter wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 2:29pm
It’s obviously not on par with the peak era (IMO from Machine Gun Etiquette through Strawberries*), but I spun Grave Disorder last night and it holds up better than a lot of late career albums from punk bands. The Damned always work best for me when they let their psychedelic influences show.

*I love their entire output from the start through Phantasmagoria, but this was where I think they were the most consistently great.
I like all their albums. No bad ones for me not even Music For Pleasure. Looking forward to their new album being produced by Tony Visconti.
I like Music For Pleasure. I’m only so-so on Anything, but the better tracks are outstanding.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26124
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston » 25 Oct 2017, 3:41pm

I love Strawberries, in fact i'm going to put it on now.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35467
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 25 Oct 2017, 3:49pm

Wolter wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 3:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 2:44pm
Wolter wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 2:29pm
It’s obviously not on par with the peak era (IMO from Machine Gun Etiquette through Strawberries*), but I spun Grave Disorder last night and it holds up better than a lot of late career albums from punk bands. The Damned always work best for me when they let their psychedelic influences show.

*I love their entire output from the start through Phantasmagoria, but this was where I think they were the most consistently great.
I like all their albums. No bad ones for me not even Music For Pleasure. Looking forward to their new album being produced by Tony Visconti.
I like Music For Pleasure. I’m only so-so on Anything, but the better tracks are outstanding.
I like the Anything album but it was rushed and not really given enough time to grow. Still as you mention the good is very good.
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4210
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi » 27 Oct 2017, 10:45pm

Toots & the Maytals, 'The Best Of' (2001).
Kingston 11, JA's answer to Otis Redding. A quick, easy listen this comp is, but the remastering for this series was excellent (especially for 2001), and, really, these are some of the greatest songs ever created by anyone, ever.
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35467
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 28 Oct 2017, 8:58am

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 10:45pm
Toots & the Maytals, 'The Best Of' (2001).
Kingston 11, JA's answer to Otis Redding. A quick, easy listen this comp is, but the remastering for this series was excellent (especially for 2001), and, really, these are some of the greatest songs ever created by anyone, ever.
Image
Nice comp.
Image
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Oct 2017, 2:33pm

Image
I've listened to the new Weezer a few times and it hasn't really grabbed me, with the exception of "Weekend Woman."
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35467
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 31 Oct 2017, 2:53pm

Image
Image
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 31 Oct 2017, 5:45pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 2:33pm
Image
I've listened to the new Weezer a few times and it hasn't really grabbed me, with the exception of "Weekend Woman."
It's been slated as a complete turning-of-the-back on rock and entering the pop sphere entirely. Are you getting that?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Oct 2017, 5:52pm

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 5:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 2:33pm
Image
I've listened to the new Weezer a few times and it hasn't really grabbed me, with the exception of "Weekend Woman."
It's been slated as a complete turning-of-the-back on rock and entering the pop sphere entirely. Are you getting that?
It's less obviously rock than previous Weezer, I guess, but I'd hesitate to call it pop. Or, rather, I don't know what the parameters for pop are in this case. But it's mostly whatever.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 31 Oct 2017, 6:18pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 5:52pm
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 5:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 2:33pm
Image
I've listened to the new Weezer a few times and it hasn't really grabbed me, with the exception of "Weekend Woman."
It's been slated as a complete turning-of-the-back on rock and entering the pop sphere entirely. Are you getting that?
It's less obviously rock than previous Weezer, I guess, but I'd hesitate to call it pop. Or, rather, I don't know what the parameters for pop are in this case. But it's mostly whatever.
I read an article saying that they'd finally done away with power chords or something like that.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Flex » 31 Oct 2017, 6:21pm

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:18pm
I read an article saying that they'd finally done away with power chords or something like that.
FINALLY
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 31 Oct 2017, 6:23pm

Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:21pm
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:18pm
I read an article saying that they'd finally done away with power chords or something like that.
FINALLY
I laughed.

A robot has taught me to enjoy life again.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Oct 2017, 7:29pm

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:23pm
Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:21pm
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:18pm
I read an article saying that they'd finally done away with power chords or something like that.
FINALLY
I laughed.

A robot has taught me to enjoy life again.
Just shut the fuck up, Flex!
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35467
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 01 Nov 2017, 10:37am

Image
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4210
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi » 01 Nov 2017, 10:03pm

The Replacements, Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, Illinois, 1989. 'With Special Guest Mr. Liquor'.
Excellent audience tape; even better performance. No knock on Bob, but Slim helped made this band (when they were on) a perfect Stonesy pop-tastic band that should have made millions and had their songs in the canon of all the classics. All the best to you and Chrissy and the kids, Slim.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests