Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 4:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 4:47pm
That mustard yellow is very GEERish.
Tho I don't care much for the album, GEER is far and away my favourite Clash sleeve.
Yes it certainly has a dynamic effect. It's colors being so bold as to really hold the attention of the eye.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:10pm
Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:06pm
I like it. My only suggestion would be to have the figure invade the text space a bit to make them interact more.

The O in that typeface is kind of funny—I'd assume the type designers were either trying to make sure the O didn't cause confusion with a capital D (though the face looks to be all lowercase. I'd be interested in the uppercase version—the O may be from that), or just trying to be quirky. It makes it more difficult to read, but the poster demands attention, so you wouldn't be skimming it anyway.
What about having the name of the group three times, especially all in the same place? How would you justify that?
I was going to say after I posted—I don't think the flag version of the logo is entirely necessary, but I'm not super bothered by it either. And in this typeface, having the band name upside-down makes it look sort of cyrillic, which I'm on board with. You don't really notice that the other two items are the band name again until you've been looking at it for a minute, so It keeps your eye on the page.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I love the Pistols Swindle era artwork especially the singles.

P.s most Pistols artwork was great but especially Swindle stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I like it. My only suggestion would be to have the figure invade the text space a bit to make them interact more.

The O in that typeface is kind of funny—I'd assume the type designers were either trying to make sure the O didn't cause confusion with a capital D (though the face looks to be all lowercase. I'd be interested in the uppercase version—the O may be from that), or just trying to be quirky. It makes it more difficult to read, but the poster demands attention, so you wouldn't be skimming it anyway.
What about having the name of the group three times, especially all in the same place? How would you justify that?
I was going to say after I posted—I don't think the flag version of the logo is entirely necessary, but I'm not super bothered by it either. And in this typeface, having the band name upside-down makes it look sort of cyrillic, which I'm on board with. You don't really notice that the other two items are the band name again until you've been looking at it for a minute, so It keeps your eye on the page.
Interesting. When I first encountered the album maybe 20 years ago, I was drawn to the mechano-man figure and thought the typography sloppy and amateurish. I don't think that anymore, but I'm still lukewarm on the multiple band names. I keep wondering why it would be done.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:27pm
Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Interesting. When I first encountered the album maybe 20 years ago, I was drawn to the mechano-man figure and thought the typography sloppy and amateurish. I don't think that anymore, but I'm still lukewarm on the multiple band names. I keep wondering why it would be done.
Just to fill in space, perhaps. I agree that the text is a bit goofy lookin' but it's sorta of its time, and has a nostalgia boost that way. Doesn't make for objectively good design, but if somebody made it now, I'd say "oh yeah they're doing a 80s thing. I like it."

If the multiple names is a concern, it might work to cut the flag one, then tint back the larger upside-down one so that it's not commanding so much attention. This would be a bonus on the actual album cover where the list of members is set over that larger name. Could help clarify there.

I also like the mechano-man too. Reminds me of Warlock.

edit: I think I'm not bothered as much by the multiple names because they give it a sort of constructivist feeling. Maybe it would have been better to use different words than repeating the band name again, maybe the name of the album.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:42pm
Just to fill in space, perhaps. I agree that the text is a bit goofy lookin' but it's sorta of its time, and has a nostalgia boost that way. Doesn't make for objectively good design, but if somebody made it now, I'd say "oh yeah they're doing a 80s thing. I like it."
Is that an 80s typography? I'm ignorant about that kind of stuff, so I'm curious.
I also like the mechano-man too. Reminds me of Warlock.
That's what I thought the first time I saw it. The album came out in '83 and Warlock debuted in '84, so I halfway wonder whether Bill Sidhdfhdkshbksufhiufsjbkjds was inspired by the former.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:48pm
Kory wrote:
Is that an 80s typography? I'm ignorant about that kind of stuff, so I'm curious.
I doubt it, it looks like it may have been designed in the 30s. But something about its treatment (probably the context, too) seems actually more 90s to me now that I look at it again. That may be the color combo though. It's definitely got a familiar quality that I'm having trouble placing exactly.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I doubt it, it looks like it may have been designed in the 30s. But something about its treatment (probably the context, too) seems actually more 90s to me now that I look at it again. That may be the color combo though. It's definitely got a familiar quality that I'm having trouble placing exactly.
Actually, I might be able to identify the font, hang on a sec.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The whole thing seems like futurism to me, so I would guess 1910s or 1920s. But that is a total guess (and assuming that the sleeve designers are seeking to be consistent).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
No dice, but a Google search for old Art Deco fonts might pull something up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:09pm
Kory wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
No dice, but a Google search for old Art Deco fonts might pull something up.
A quick check hasn't found anything definitive, but certainly lots that have the same feel. Those, however, are cleaner(?) whereas the Duet Emmo text is more irregular.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 5:21pm
I love the Pistols Swindle era artwork especially the singles.

P.s most Pistols artwork was great but especially Swindle stuff.
Really good graphics and artwork on those singles very bold striking imagery and in keeping with the cartoonish nature of the whole Swindle movie. In hindsight I could do without the swastika on Sid's t-shirt. At the time I thought it was very cool to get up the noses of those that were easily offended with the shocking imagery. However over the years I came to the realisation that it's so very personal to a lot of Jewish people that sticking two fingers up at the monarchy is one thing but offending those whose families suffered such an awful loss at the hands of the Nazis is a step too far. I feel the same about "Belsen Was A Gas" also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:31pm
In hindsight I could do without the swastika on Sid's t-shirt. At the time I thought it was very cool to get up the noses of those that were easily offended with the shocking imagery. However over the years I came to the realisation that it's so very personal to a lot of Jewish people that sticking two fingers up at the monarchy is one thing but offending those whose families suffered such an awful loss at the hands of the Nazis is a step too far. I feel the same about "Belsen Was A Gas" also.
I agree. In seeking to offend or shock one audience, you're also saying you don't care if another audience is offended—one that has every justification in the world. Back in the day, I had a red hammer & sickle shirt that I wore for the same stupid reason of seeking to offend. That puerile goal was privileged over the historical reality of that symbol and the deaths of millions. I can rationalize it by citing alienation or discovering what I believed and all that, but it was selfish and callow on my part.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
In hindsight I could do without the swastika on Sid's t-shirt. At the time I thought it was very cool to get up the noses of those that were easily offended with the shocking imagery. However over the years I came to the realisation that it's so very personal to a lot of Jewish people that sticking two fingers up at the monarchy is one thing but offending those whose families suffered such an awful loss at the hands of the Nazis is a step too far. I feel the same about "Belsen Was A Gas" also.
I agree. In seeking to offend or shock one audience, you're also saying you don't care if another audience is offended—one that has every justification in the world. Back in the day, I had a red hammer & sickle shirt that I wore for the same stupid reason of seeking to offend. That puerile goal was privileged over the historical reality of that symbol and the deaths of millions. I can rationalize it by citing alienation or discovering what I believed and all that, but it was selfish and callow on my part.
I feel the same about CtC sweatshirts. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I feel the same about CtC sweatshirts. ;)
That's atonement thru self-debasement.