The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Kory »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 10:24pm
Holy shit, that was so clearly written by him. What a funny old world we live in.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Inder wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 9:18pm
I'm SO excited! Who is gonna be!?! I really hope it is Kushner!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I’m thinking Manafort.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I hope it's Junior.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Manafort seems the most likely one, given that he had his home raided earlier this summer.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 2:19am
I’m thinking Manafort.
He's definitely the most obvious one, but I'm hoping for the cheeto himself. One can wish.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

There's going to be way more than one indictment here. The first is just the most pants-on-head obvious case...so I'm guessing Manafort.

If any of the family were part of this first drop, Trump would've already fired Mueller this week.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm still skeptical that he'll fire or try to fire Mueller. Trump is a bully in the classic sense that he doesn't pick fights he can't win. He only goes after clearly weaker people or phony fights with no real risk. If/when the investigation and indictments start to threaten him or his dumb-ass kids, I think he's inclined to cut a deal to get past it all—resign in exchange for escaping charges for him and his kids. There's no evidence that he likes his job and would rather just be a celebrity, so is this job worth fighting for? There's no principled fight in the asshole, just self-interest, and if quitting keeps him and his safe, that's his instinctual play. A public fight that he can't win just seems contrary to his ego.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Nixon was much tougher. And he quit.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 4:15pm
Nixon was much tougher. And he quit.
Nixon mused about going to jail where he could write, like one of those revolutionaries the kids loved. No, really.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 2:56pm
I'm still skeptical that he'll fire or try to fire Mueller. Trump is a bully in the classic sense that he doesn't pick fights he can't win. He only goes after clearly weaker people or phony fights with no real risk. If/when the investigation and indictments start to threaten him or his dumb-ass kids, I think he's inclined to cut a deal to get past it all—resign in exchange for escaping charges for him and his kids. There's no evidence that he likes his job and would rather just be a celebrity, so is this job worth fighting for? There's no principled fight in the asshole, just self-interest, and if quitting keeps him and his safe, that's his instinctual play. A public fight that he can't win just seems contrary to his ego.
Yeah, but he's also incredibly stupendously dumb and inclined to fire house plants. NOTHING is out-of-bounds with his impulses. When it's the shit-your-pants level panic of the investigation starting to pick off family members, he's already shown he's not above self-immolating for momentary gratification that doesn't actually solve any problem of his.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 4:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 2:56pm
Yeah, but he's also incredibly stupendously dumb and inclined to fire house plants. NOTHING is out-of-bounds with his impulses. When it's the shit-your-pants level panic of the investigation starting to pick off family members, he's already shown he's not above self-immolating for momentary gratification that doesn't actually solve any problem of his.
Certainly possible, especially if he's suffering from some kind of dementia. But I wonder if there is, in fact, some unconscious control to that impulsiveness, where he doesn't actually pick fights with people who could seriously hurt him. I don't know enough of his biography whether that's true, but what I have seen and read suggests chickenshit bully.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

This is a good/related read.
It is not quite fair to say that Donald Trump lacks core beliefs, but to the extent that we can take apart these beliefs they amount to Give Donald Trump Your Money and Donald Trump Should Really Be on Television More. The only comprehensible throughline to his politics is that everything Trump says is something he’s said previously, with additional very’s and more-and-more’s appended over time; his worldview amounts to the sum of the dumb shit he saw on the cover of the New York Post in 1985, subjected to a few decades of rancid compounding interest and deteriorating mental aptitude. He watches a lot of cable news, but he struggles to follow even stories that have been custom built for people like him—old, uninformed, amorphously if deeply aggrieved.

There’s a reason for this. Trump doesn’t know anything or really believe anything about any topic beyond himself, because he has no interest in any topic beyond himself; his evident cognitive decline and hyperactive laziness and towering monomania ensure that he will never again learn a new thing in his life. He has no friends and no real allies; his inner circle is divided between ostensibly scandalized cynics and theatrically shameless ones, all of whom hold him in low regard and see him as a potential means to their individuated ends. There is no help on the way; his outer orbit is a rotation of replacement-level rage-grandpas and defective, perpetually clammy operators.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 5:55pm
The only comprehensible throughline to his politics is that everything Trump says is something he’s said previously, with additional very’s and more-and-more’s appended over time; his worldview amounts to the sum of the dumb shit he saw on the cover of the New York Post in 1985, subjected to a few decades of rancid compounding interest and deteriorating mental aptitude. … his evident cognitive decline and hyperactive laziness and towering monomania ensure that he will never again learn a new thing in his life.
I've read similar assessments about Reagan in the White House. Part of his problem, these views argue, is that Reagan's political views stopped growing in the 60s. So he campaigned throughout the 70s and 80s on this increasingly outdated worldview, and it left him handicapped as president. The key difference, I guess, is that by all accounts Reagan was a personally decent man—albeit very compartmentalized so that his public policies never contradicted his private acts—whereas Trump is worse in private than public.