A Language Question For The Linguists

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 12:06pm
Yahoo Serious was a better Prime Minister than Paul Hogan.
This irritant was that country's greatest Minister of Culture.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 12:11pm
I wonder if Yahoo Serious will ever reform the Jam.

They'll bury him a googliebob.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When the fuck did North Americans start using single quotes? Student after student for the last six years turn in stuff where, if they aren't quoting something directly, they use single quotes. Stuff like scare or snark quotes, they use singles. Who the hell is teaching them this? We fought or negotiated our way free of the Limeys to use double quotes, dagnabbit!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 5:30pm
When the fuck did North Americans start using single quotes? Student after student for the last six years turn in stuff where, if they aren't quoting something directly, they use single quotes. Stuff like scare or snark quotes, they use singles. Who the hell is teaching them this? We fought or negotiated our way free of the Limeys to use double quotes, dagnabbit!
I do it sometimes when I'm feeling lazy. I guess that's all you need to know.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 5:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm certain that someone or something is teaching these kids this Limey atrocity. And why is this the thing that they choose to learn?

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm certain that someone or something is teaching these kids this Limey atrocity. And why is this the thing that they choose to learn?
Just a theory...but if the apostrophe is easier to type on a phone than a quotation mark, they will double-down on the single-quote.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 6:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just a theory...but if the apostrophe is easier to type on a phone than a quotation mark, they will double-down on the single-quote.
Ugh. That is so awful it makes sense. Still, they do know to use proper double quotes when quoting a source or historical figure, so maybe not.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was surprised to learn it's standard in some newer/revised style guides.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Inder wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not in the style guides that you use if you actually want to get paid for your work.

In my line of work, I can still legally give you 10 lashes for misuse of single quotes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 6:50pm
Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not in the style guides that you use if you actually want to get paid for your work.

In my line of work, I can still legally give you 10 lashes for misuse of single quotes.
:lol: Aye and then some.

The missuz just informed me that a number of her colleagues (mis)use single quotes in the way I describe above. I don't recall any clients doing that, tho.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 6:55pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 6:50pm
Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

:lol: Aye and then some.

The missuz just informed me that a number of her colleagues (mis)use single quotes in the way I describe above. I don't recall any clients doing that, tho.
The MHRA, which is standard in the UK, requires single quotes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

But that's the standard distinction between British rules and Canadian and American rules. I grew up knowing that in Canada we use double quotes for everything (except a quote within a quote). It's this recent, I guess distinction of quotation mark usage that I don't get. Quote JFK and they use doubles. Right. But for scare or snark quotes, where there's nobody actually being quoted—e.g., Trump is an ‘inspiring leader’—and they use singles. I have no idea where that's coming from.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Ah yes. I think I misunderstood your point.

The obvious solution is go into your next lecture/seminar wearing these earrings:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 9:16pm

The obvious solution is go into your next lecture/seminar wearing these earrings:

It might put the Billy Corgan thing to the grave … :twitch:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 7:05am
Inder wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 9:16pm

It might put the Billy Corgan thing to the grave … :twitch:
Shouldn't Billy Corgan be in quotation marks? After all he is history"s biggest monster.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia