B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
17 Feb 2017, 6:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2017, 6:01pm
River wrote:
17 Feb 2017, 1:54pm
Been listening through Tighten Up again (Marky's mix of course), and just what a great album. I say it so much but really, its my favorite BAD album. I would've loved to have heard more from this 88 tour as well. St. Georges and the Assembly Rooms shows are maybe two of the best BAD shows I've heard. I also rewatched an interview with Mick yesterday from 88 and he was talking about how they had plans to tour all around Europe and do this whole tour based around France and all that. I actually got a little mad thinking about this, just because of how sad it was he got sick so soon into the tour. I'm sure those Europe gigs would've been amazing.
I remember when Mick got ill. My friend Roy and I were planning on seeing BAD at the T&C Club (my fave venue at the time). Roy came into work and told me he had just heard that Mick had died. I couldn't believe it thank fuck the rumour was wrong and Mick survived the pneumonia virus.
Damn, it must've been crushing to hear, rumor or not. It makes sense sadly of that going around, considering just how actually close he was to dying.

I know its been talked about too, but the fact that he was able to pull off what he did with reunion tour vocal wise was amazing. I never thought he would be able to sing stuff like V Thirteen or E=MC2 (higher octave) again. He sounded really damn good on that whole tour.
Yep he was brilliant on that tour and the look of sheer joy on his face was worth the price of admission all on it's own.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I am pretty sure that Vitamin C was inspired by Evidently Chickentown by John Cooper Clarke , sounds like it could have been sampled a little as well.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've said this before but Around the Girl in 80 Ways is just marvellous in every shape and form.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 4:48pm
I've said this before but Around the Girl in 80 Ways is just marvellous in every shape and form.
Love it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Man, the chord change in the "chorus" of Medicine Show is awesome, and when it does its first run as an instrumental section it grips me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 6:35pm
Man, the chord change in the "chorus" of Medicine Show is awesome, and when it does its first run as an instrumental section it grips me.
Total boss tune.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Is that the "It was really vile weather" bit?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 10:04pm
Kory wrote:
No, it's the "we took the tube and the high plains too" part. I suppose it's more of a prechorus now that I'm thinking about it.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 10:50pm
Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 10:04pm
Kory wrote:
No, it's the "we took the tube and the high plains too" part. I suppose it's more of a prechorus now that I'm thinking about it.
I thought you must be talking about that bit as that change always gave me goosebumps, especially live. It is just a simple chord change but I think it's the release of tension that really makes it work.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Someone on Facebook is claiming there are unreleased Upping St demos with backing vocals from Joe.

TeddyB, any knowledge of this? Can't see it being likely myself.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 4:04pm
Someone on Facebook is claiming there are unreleased Upping St demos with backing vocals from Joe.

Never trust anyone on Facebook.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Heston wrote:

The only song I have heard with Joe singing along is “U.S. North”. There are unreleased songs written by Joe and Mick in the 80’s that were recorded by BAD or demoed by Mick, but Joe’s voice is not heard on them. The only thing I could fathom is if there are rough mixes from the Upping Street sessions with Joe’s voice helping out before it was removed in the final mixes. Who is making the claims on Facebook?

Heston

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 10:16pm
Heston wrote:

The only song I have heard with Joe singing along is “U.S. North”. There are unreleased songs written by Joe and Mick in the 80’s that were recorded by BAD or demoed by Mick, but Joe’s voice is not heard on them. The only thing I could fathom is if there are rough mixes from the Upping Street sessions with Joe’s voice helping out before it was removed in the final mixes. Who is making the claims on Facebook?
Some bloke called Ade on the BAD Appreciation Society page. Says Joe sang on the early Upping St demos

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

NoMoreHugh wrote:
25 Feb 2017, 9:21am
I am pretty sure that Vitamin C was inspired by Evidently Chickentown by John Cooper Clarke , sounds like it could have been sampled a little as well.
Mick is certainly a JCC appreciator.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Heston wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 2:52am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 10:16pm
Heston wrote:

Some bloke called Ade on the BAD Appreciation Society page. Says Joe sang on the early Upping St demos
Ade Sabini knows from whence he speaks. If he says he’s heard it, he’s heard it. I personally know of no demos from the Upping Street era except for the unreleased songs.