Post by Heston »

eumaas wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 5:50pm
Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 5:49pm
eumaas wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 5:44pm
I'm gonna make him listen to the whole Ring cycle
I've been primed by Music From the Elder so I could be ready for it.
when do you have 15 free hours
September 23rd, 2034.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Awful Voices Thread

Post by revbob »

Jist went and listened to some old Rod Stewart songs. Never really listened to the Faces but his voice seems to work with the material. Then I rook another listen to Jeff Beck's album Truth for the first time in 30 years and I think its a pretty great album but I think Stewart detracts from the album overall.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 5:01pm
Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 4:59pm
I think Madonna's voice is fine and got much better as she went along. A lot of very good songs, but yeah, maybe the image thing helped the superstardom.
Love the song Like A Prayer, love her singing on it.
Great pop song.
I like Madonnas voice in the 80s, Cherish, Holiday, Into The Groove, Papa Don’t Preach, Crazy For You.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:25pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
I think Madonna's voice is fine and got much better as she went along. A lot of very good songs, but yeah, maybe the image thing helped the superstardom.
Great pop song.
I like Madonnas voice in the 80s, Cherish, Holiday, Into The Groove, Papa Don’t Preach, Crazy For You.
This is so funny! I have an 80's mix on my iPod and Like a Prayer came on today and I paused to think how great she was in the 80's! Huge! She had some really great songs in that decade. Into The Groove is bad ass!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:04pm
Jist went and listened to some old Rod Stewart songs. Never really listened to the Faces but his voice seems to work with the material. Then I rook another listen to Jeff Beck's album Truth for the first time in 30 years and I think its a pretty great album but I think Stewart detracts from the album overall.
There is a quote from someone who says that Rod's voice was one of the most wasted things in music history. I agree. With Beck, Faces, and early solo it was a thing of beauty...but then just wasted.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:39pm
revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:04pm
There is a quote from someone who says that Rod's voice was one of the most wasted things in music history. I agree. With Beck, Faces, and early solo it was a thing of beauty...but then just wasted.
I thi k Elvis Costello said something along those lines.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Great pop song.
Borderline is her killer track for me, love it.

Her voice was a little squeaky on some of the early stuff, but she certainly isn't a bad singer by any stretch.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Great pop song.
Borderline is her killer track for me, love it.

Her voice was a little squeaky on some of the early stuff, but she certainly isn't a bad singer by any stretch.
Yep Borderline another good one. I have Madonna’s first album on vinyl I might give it a spin this weekend pop pickers.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

No real idea what makes a good singing voice. There are those like Steve Marriott, Steve Winwood, Reggie King, Steve Ellis who are incredible singers. But then there are those such as Lydon, Poly Styrene, etc who have no traditional vocal style but yet are no less thrilling to listen to. How about someone like Tymon Dog who is a real acquired taste.I guess it all comes down to the ear of the individual

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The pro-Rod Stewart expressions in this thread have forced me to re-write my will and exclude a number of you.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 7:32pm
The pro-Rod Stewart expressions in this thread have forced me to re-write my will and exclude a number of you.
Rod the Mod! ;)

He did some good stuff...but so very quickly sold out and made record after record after record of crap. He's to the point where he could never redeem himself.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Can we all agree Marriott had one of the greatest - yet most unappreciated voices in rock? I'll take it to my grave that Plant stole a ton from Steve Marriott. Plant took what he learned and did great things - but Marriott was a true original.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rod the Mod! ;)

He did some good stuff...but so very quickly sold out and made record after record after record of crap. He's to the point where he could never redeem himself.
Your stance just cost you a cool $50,000 (if you didn't know, I'm an insane multi-millionaire).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:37pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rod the Mod! ;)

Your stance just cost you a cool $50,000 (if you didn't know, I'm an insane multi-millionaire).
Dang it! Ha, ha!

I won't try and defend my stance by posting example after example of a good Rod tunes...I'll just try and deflect by posting this:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:37pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rod the Mod! ;)

Dang it! Ha, ha!

I won't try and defend my stance by posting example after example of a good Rod tunes...I'll just try and deflect by posting this:

Don't bother mate I doubt the Doc has even heard of Steampacket or any of the early Rod stuff.

Love this track and you rarely hear a bad version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia