General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Awful Voices Thread

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:12pm
I’m on a rant now.
I tell you what else I hate the current trend for singing where instead of just singing the note they sing the note then go up and down the scale round the houses and back again.
For an example watch any episode of The Voice, Whoever’s Got Talent etc..
Just sing the the bloody note!!!!
Whitney and Mariah school of singing. 26 notes per syllable. Awful indeed.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Should have posted that in the "Hot Takes" thread.

I love Mick's singing and I love his songs. Doesn't mean his voice isn't thin, reedy, and even a bit nasally. He covers it up well with great tunes, spirited delivery, double tracking, stacked harmonies (Bottom Line, for example), and co-leads with Joe. If you put Mick in a lesser band, it would be a lot more obvious.

What I find telling is listening to the Mick songs that have Joe parts vs. the Joe songs with Mick parts. Whenever Joe shows up in the middle of a Mick song, it's this warm, passionate presence (Something About England is very glaring, but also live Somebody Got Murdered) and it elicits excitement in me. When Mick shows up on a Joe song, it never elicits much out of me (Clampdown for example).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:12pm
I’m on a rant now.
I tell you what else I hate the current trend for singing where instead of just singing the note they sing the note then go up and down the scale round the houses and back again.
For an example watch any episode of The Voice, Whoever’s Got Talent etc..
Just sing the the bloody note!!!!
Whitney and Mariah school of singing. 26 notes per syllable. Awful indeed.
Whitney was never that bad. Mariah, sure. I thought it really got bad during the late 90's early 00's. Listen to those early Destiny's Child single and the last chorus is always bonus vamping off key. Christina Aguilera definitely exacerbated things which carried through to American Idol and there was no looking back after that. Fortunately modern day belters seem a bit more restrained (Ariana Grande, Adele).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 1:20pm
I don't like Jagger's voice, but I wouldn't call it awful either (he doesn't kill Stones songs for me, but he doesn't help things along).
There's a weird appeal to Jagger's voice for me. However, Keith's lead vocals have always been god damn atrocious to me. How is "Happy" considered a good song by anyone? Yet it's apparently worthy of all of their best of comps. Any lead of his is an automatic skip for me. "You Got the Silver", ugh.

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:55pm
Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:36pm
Axl sounds like a parrot with its balls caught in a vice.
Ha! I used to describe Sebastian Bach's voice as having his nuts in a vice. Really, tho, he had a generic metal singer's screech.
Yuck. I think there have been some great metal singers - Rob Halford comes to mind...but hair metal produced some truly awful singers. More about image and how you looked in tight trousers than how well you could sing.
Metal generally commands a lot of technical skill all around. That being said, hair metal was a pretty dumbed down version. Bret Michaels and Vince Neil both have terrible terrible voices.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Not that I'm advocating any of these, but other obvious nominees: Morrissey, Biafra, Mark E. Smith, Dylan
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:27pm
Whitney was never that bad
The "me" in "I Wanna Dance With Somebody Who Loves Me" has about 8 notes in one second.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:25pm
Should have posted that in the "Hot Takes" thread.

I love Mick's singing and I love his songs. Doesn't mean his voice isn't thin, reedy, and even a bit nasally. He covers it up well with great tunes, spirited delivery, double tracking, stacked harmonies (Bottom Line, for example), and co-leads with Joe. If you put Mick in a lesser band, it would be a lot more obvious.

What I find telling is listening to the Mick songs that have Joe parts vs. the Joe songs with Mick parts. Whenever Joe shows up in the middle of a Mick song, it's this warm, passionate presence (Something About England is very glaring, but also live Somebody Got Murdered) and it elicits excitement in me. When Mick shows up on a Joe song, it never elicits much out of me (Clampdown for example).
Now I love the middle bit of Clampdown!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't like Jagger's voice, but I wouldn't call it awful either (he doesn't kill Stones songs for me, but he doesn't help things along).
There's a weird appeal to Jagger's voice for me. However, Keith's lead vocals have always been god damn atrocious to me. How is "Happy" considered a good song by anyone? Yet it's apparently worthy of all of their best of comps. Any lead of his is an automatic skip for me. "You Got the Silver", ugh.
Interested to know what you think of Guiding Light - Television?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:34pm
matedog wrote:
The "me" in "I Wanna Dance With Somebody Who Loves Me" has about 8 notes in one second.
I'm only hearing one note in "me." :huh:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Lou Reed has a pretty bad voice, though I freaking love it.

matedog

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:40pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Never heard it before. Vocals are okay, not particularly good.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
But the song is still perfect!

matedog

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:51pm
matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
But the song is still perfect!
So? Rudie Can't Fail is still probably in my top 5 favorite songs of all time.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:41pm
Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 3:34pm
matedog wrote:
I'm only hearing one note in "me." :huh:
1 min 59