What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 17 Oct 2017, 10:12am

Image
Peter Murphy, Lion. Just discovered this and, so far, it's got some spark and snarl. Co-written with and produced by Youth, it's got Murphy doing a passable Jaz Coleman.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 17 Oct 2017, 2:17pm

Image
St. Vincent, Masseduction. Well, isn't that a suggestive cover. I've always been a so-so fan of St. Vincent. Very talented, charismatic and weird, each of her previous albums have had a couple songs that I love, but as a whole never grabbed me. This is a lot sleeker and, surprisingly, downplays her kickass guitar talents. But it's thoroughly satisfying. Some songs are intimate and warm, others distant and electronic. It's good stuff.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 195
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid » 17 Oct 2017, 9:03pm

...and I'm the dork who is listening to (and liking) the new Killers LP!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35467
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 18 Oct 2017, 1:20am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 2:17pm
Image
St. Vincent, Masseduction. Well, isn't that a suggestive cover. I've always been a so-so fan of St. Vincent. Very talented, charismatic and weird, each of her previous albums have had a couple songs that I love, but as a whole never grabbed me. This is a lot sleeker and, surprisingly, downplays her kickass guitar talents. But it's thoroughly satisfying. Some songs are intimate and warm, others distant and electronic. It's good stuff.
I really like her cover of London Calling posted in the other thread.

https://pitchfork.com/news/listen-to-st ... n-calling/
Image
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Flex » 20 Oct 2017, 6:24pm

Bob Dylan - Live 1961-2000 ~ Thirty-Nine Years of Great Concert Performances
Image

This will surprise y'all, but there are stills scraps of Dylan that I haven't encountered before. I'm on a glut of completionism at the moment: exploring the recordings he did for Broadside in the early 60s as well as checking out various live albums that have come out over the years, official releases but outside his standard canon. Promos and limited releases and such. The best of these, by my reckoning, is this Japanese import release that covers a huge swath of his career, often presenting gutsy, muscular renditions of classics and deep cuts alike. The album finishing incredibly strong, with an amped up and rocking rendition of Nashville Skyline's Country Pie and an atmospheric and spooky version of that melancholy latter-day Bob classic, Things Have Changed.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35467
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 20 Oct 2017, 6:46pm

Flex wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 6:24pm
Bob Dylan - Live 1961-2000 ~ Thirty-Nine Years of Great Concert Performances
Image

This will surprise y'all, but there are stills scraps of Dylan that I haven't encountered before. I'm on a glut of completionism at the moment: exploring the recordings he did for Broadside in the early 60s as well as checking out various live albums that have come out over the years, official releases but outside his standard canon. Promos and limited releases and such. The best of these, by my reckoning, is this Japanese import release that covers a huge swath of his career, often presenting gutsy, muscular renditions of classics and deep cuts alike. The album finishing incredibly strong, with an amped up and rocking rendition of Nashville Skyline's Country Pie and an atmospheric and spooky version of that melancholy latter-day Bob classic, Things Have Changed.
Things sure have moved on from the days of 74 & 80 min CD's.
Image
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Oct 2017, 7:17pm

Image
Sampling tracks from this, but, yeesh, what a bloodless affair. Sure it's competently played, but tribute bands play with more interest. A shame as the last album, the first without Peter Hook, showed they still had some zing to the ting.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 23 Oct 2017, 7:24pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:17pm
Image
Sampling tracks from this, but, yeesh, what a bloodless affair. Sure it's competently played, but tribute bands play with more interest. A shame as the last album, the first without Peter Hook, showed they still had some zing to the ting.
I haven't really heard anything beyond Technique. Is any of it worthwhile?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Oct 2017, 7:32pm

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:17pm
Image
Sampling tracks from this, but, yeesh, what a bloodless affair. Sure it's competently played, but tribute bands play with more interest. A shame as the last album, the first without Peter Hook, showed they still had some zing to the ting.
I haven't really heard anything beyond Technique. Is any of it worthwhile?
"Regret," off of Republic, is the last great New Order single. The other singles are okay. Neither Get Ready nor Waiting for the Sirens Call are that good, tho the singles are, sure, okay. Pick up a singles comp instead of the albums. I also liked the song they contributed to either Control or 24 Hour Party People, "Here To Stay." But the last album Music Complete sounded more like a proper New Order album to me. None of it is better than Technique but there are dribs and drabs that are worth hearing. Still, if New Order had packed it in for good after Republic, I think we'd be fine not hearing what they've done since.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 Oct 2017, 7:57pm

Here, jerkos, have some great power pop that you may have never heard before.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Rat Patrol » 24 Oct 2017, 11:39pm

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:17pm
Image
Sampling tracks from this, but, yeesh, what a bloodless affair. Sure it's competently played, but tribute bands play with more interest. A shame as the last album, the first without Peter Hook, showed they still had some zing to the ting.
I haven't really heard anything beyond Technique. Is any of it worthwhile?
I liked Get Ready quite a bit except for the excreble Billy Corgan cameo. But as with a lot of New Order, a well-curated compilation that makes liberal use of their many official-released remixes makes for better touchstone than the actual albums.

Do very much get some post-'98 live material when they brought back all the old Joy Division songs into full rotation. Adjustment to Barney vocals and all...holy crap, it's still them.

Image

daredevil
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4540
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:35pm
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by daredevil » 25 Oct 2017, 10:02am

muppet hi fi wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 9:36pm
The Replacements, 'For Sale: Live at Maxwell's 1986' (2017).
Having never (knowingly) heard the famous boot of this before, I'm a tad disappointed that they've seemingly edited out most of the (always amusing) stage banter. Also, Paul sings a lot of songs in a very staid, controlled lower register - I guess he knew they were being recorded and wanted to save his voice and sing "properly". Otherwise - it sounds great and the band is on fire. Buy it.
Image
I've got this on order. I'm a little disappointed that most of Paul's talking to the audience is missing. The old bootleg sounds really good, it might take a while to not miss the stage banter.
Edit: I like that the artwork is in the style of the Color Me Impressed bootleg site.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 25 Oct 2017, 12:26pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 11:39pm
Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:17pm
Image
Sampling tracks from this, but, yeesh, what a bloodless affair. Sure it's competently played, but tribute bands play with more interest. A shame as the last album, the first without Peter Hook, showed they still had some zing to the ting.
I haven't really heard anything beyond Technique. Is any of it worthwhile?
I liked Get Ready quite a bit except for the excreble Billy Corgan cameo. But as with a lot of New Order, a well-curated compilation that makes liberal use of their many official-released remixes makes for better touchstone than the actual albums.

Do very much get some post-'98 live material when they brought back all the old Joy Division songs into full rotation. Adjustment to Barney vocals and all...holy crap, it's still them.

INteresting. Thanks!
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Wolter » 25 Oct 2017, 2:29pm

It’s obviously not on par with the peak era (IMO from Machine Gun Etiquette through Strawberries*), but I spun Grave Disorder last night and it holds up better than a lot of late career albums from punk bands. The Damned always work best for me when they let their psychedelic influences show.

*I love their entire output from the start through Phantasmagoria, but this was where I think they were the most consistently great.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35467
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 25 Oct 2017, 2:44pm

Wolter wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 2:29pm
It’s obviously not on par with the peak era (IMO from Machine Gun Etiquette through Strawberries*), but I spun Grave Disorder last night and it holds up better than a lot of late career albums from punk bands. The Damned always work best for me when they let their psychedelic influences show.

*I love their entire output from the start through Phantasmagoria, but this was where I think they were the most consistently great.
I like all their albums. No bad ones for me not even Music For Pleasure. Looking forward to their new album being produced by Tony Visconti.
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 11 guests