What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Peter Murphy, Lion. Just discovered this and, so far, it's got some spark and snarl. Co-written with and produced by Youth, it's got Murphy doing a passable Jaz Coleman.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

St. Vincent, Masseduction. Well, isn't that a suggestive cover. I've always been a so-so fan of St. Vincent. Very talented, charismatic and weird, each of her previous albums have had a couple songs that I love, but as a whole never grabbed me. This is a lot sleeker and, surprisingly, downplays her kickass guitar talents. But it's thoroughly satisfying. Some songs are intimate and warm, others distant and electronic. It's good stuff.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

...and I'm the dork who is listening to (and liking) the new Killers LP!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 2:17pm
St. Vincent, Masseduction. Well, isn't that a suggestive cover. I've always been a so-so fan of St. Vincent. Very talented, charismatic and weird, each of her previous albums have had a couple songs that I love, but as a whole never grabbed me. This is a lot sleeker and, surprisingly, downplays her kickass guitar talents. But it's thoroughly satisfying. Some songs are intimate and warm, others distant and electronic. It's good stuff.
I really like her cover of London Calling posted in the other thread.

https://pitchfork.com/news/listen-to-st ... n-calling/

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Bob Dylan - Live 1961-2000 ~ Thirty-Nine Years of Great Concert Performances

This will surprise y'all, but there are stills scraps of Dylan that I haven't encountered before. I'm on a glut of completionism at the moment: exploring the recordings he did for Broadside in the early 60s as well as checking out various live albums that have come out over the years, official releases but outside his standard canon. Promos and limited releases and such. The best of these, by my reckoning, is this Japanese import release that covers a huge swath of his career, often presenting gutsy, muscular renditions of classics and deep cuts alike. The album finishing incredibly strong, with an amped up and rocking rendition of Nashville Skyline's Country Pie and an atmospheric and spooky version of that melancholy latter-day Bob classic, Things Have Changed.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 6:24pm
Bob Dylan - Live 1961-2000 ~ Thirty-Nine Years of Great Concert Performances

This will surprise y'all, but there are stills scraps of Dylan that I haven't encountered before. I'm on a glut of completionism at the moment: exploring the recordings he did for Broadside in the early 60s as well as checking out various live albums that have come out over the years, official releases but outside his standard canon. Promos and limited releases and such. The best of these, by my reckoning, is this Japanese import release that covers a huge swath of his career, often presenting gutsy, muscular renditions of classics and deep cuts alike. The album finishing incredibly strong, with an amped up and rocking rendition of Nashville Skyline's Country Pie and an atmospheric and spooky version of that melancholy latter-day Bob classic, Things Have Changed.
Things sure have moved on from the days of 74 & 80 min CD's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sampling tracks from this, but, yeesh, what a bloodless affair. Sure it's competently played, but tribute bands play with more interest. A shame as the last album, the first without Peter Hook, showed they still had some zing to the ting.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:17pm
Sampling tracks from this, but, yeesh, what a bloodless affair. Sure it's competently played, but tribute bands play with more interest. A shame as the last album, the first without Peter Hook, showed they still had some zing to the ting.
I haven't really heard anything beyond Technique. Is any of it worthwhile?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 7:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"Regret," off of Republic, is the last great New Order single. The other singles are okay. Neither Get Ready nor Waiting for the Sirens Call are that good, tho the singles are, sure, okay. Pick up a singles comp instead of the albums. I also liked the song they contributed to either Control or 24 Hour Party People, "Here To Stay." But the last album Music Complete sounded more like a proper New Order album to me. None of it is better than Technique but there are dribs and drabs that are worth hearing. Still, if New Order had packed it in for good after Republic, I think we'd be fine not hearing what they've done since.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Here, jerkos, have some great power pop that you may have never heard before.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I liked Get Ready quite a bit except for the excreble Billy Corgan cameo. But as with a lot of New Order, a well-curated compilation that makes liberal use of their many official-released remixes makes for better touchstone than the actual albums.

Do very much get some post-'98 live material when they brought back all the old Joy Division songs into full rotation. Adjustment to Barney vocals and all...holy crap, it's still them.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

muppet hi fi wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 9:36pm
The Replacements, 'For Sale: Live at Maxwell's 1986' (2017).
Having never (knowingly) heard the famous boot of this before, I'm a tad disappointed that they've seemingly edited out most of the (always amusing) stage banter. Also, Paul sings a lot of songs in a very staid, controlled lower register - I guess he knew they were being recorded and wanted to save his voice and sing "properly". Otherwise - it sounds great and the band is on fire. Buy it.
I've got this on order. I'm a little disappointed that most of Paul's talking to the audience is missing. The old bootleg sounds really good, it might take a while to not miss the stage banter.
Edit: I like that the artwork is in the style of the Color Me Impressed bootleg site.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Rat Patrol wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 11:39pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I liked Get Ready quite a bit except for the excreble Billy Corgan cameo. But as with a lot of New Order, a well-curated compilation that makes liberal use of their many official-released remixes makes for better touchstone than the actual albums.

Do very much get some post-'98 live material when they brought back all the old Joy Division songs into full rotation. Adjustment to Barney vocals and all...holy crap, it's still them.

INteresting. Thanks!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

It’s obviously not on par with the peak era (IMO from Machine Gun Etiquette through Strawberries*), but I spun Grave Disorder last night and it holds up better than a lot of late career albums from punk bands. The Damned always work best for me when they let their psychedelic influences show.

*I love their entire output from the start through Phantasmagoria, but this was where I think they were the most consistently great.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 2:29pm
It’s obviously not on par with the peak era (IMO from Machine Gun Etiquette through Strawberries*), but I spun Grave Disorder last night and it holds up better than a lot of late career albums from punk bands. The Damned always work best for me when they let their psychedelic influences show.

*I love their entire output from the start through Phantasmagoria, but this was where I think they were the most consistently great.
I like all their albums. No bad ones for me not even Music For Pleasure. Looking forward to their new album being produced by Tony Visconti.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia