IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 8:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 8:33pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 8:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 6:30pm

That time all the scientists told Noah he was a goofball hippie for building a boat in the desert. Or the time that scientists said that a guy who was dead for a couple days couldn't come back to life and become an omnipotent deity who had a real interest in people's sex lives and sports results.

Check and mate.
Ok apart from the Great Flood, Jesus rising from the dead and walking on water and feeding the 5,000 and turning water into wine and being the son of a virgin, name me one occasion religion has proved science wrong.
God created the universe so that humans have a place to do stuff, as opposed to scientists who say the universe came out of math equations. Think about it, Brainstein.
Apart from God being cleverer than science name one time religion has proved science wrong.
Burn in hell, heathen kiwi, where the flames swirl the wrong way!
Says who?
In an exothermic oxidation reaction the rapidly deteriorating material releases heat and light as energy. This heat further speeds up this process releasing further light and heat which radiates outwards.
Outwards not up and not down.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 9:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 8:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 8:33pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 8:24pm

Ok apart from the Great Flood, Jesus rising from the dead and walking on water and feeding the 5,000 and turning water into wine and being the son of a virgin, name me one occasion religion has proved science wrong.
God created the universe so that humans have a place to do stuff, as opposed to scientists who say the universe came out of math equations. Think about it, Brainstein.
Apart from God being cleverer than science name one time religion has proved science wrong.
Burn in hell, heathen kiwi, where the flames swirl the wrong way!
Says who?
In an exothermic oxidation reaction the rapidly deteriorating material releases heat and light as energy. This heat further speeds up this process releasing further light and heat which radiates outwards.
Outwards not up and not down.
Not what the Jesus in my toast told me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Because I know everyone is greatly interested in how my cycling is going this summer, I will do the right thing and tell you. After today's ride, I set a new personal best for days biked in a month (27), beating last month's mark by a day. I'm well on track for making my distance goal. I need another 26 rides and I can usually go to about mid-October. There's an outside shot at making it by the end of September, but now that school's going again and I have to be on campus more regularly, that'll be tougher. I've also already hit my target average speed of 33.5 kph (around 20.8 mph) for the summer (I'm at 33.54 right now). 33.6 kph is possible, but the increases get smaller now. All in all, it's been a damned good season of biking.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 11:07am
Because I know everyone is greatly interested in how my cycling is going this summer, I will do the right thing and tell you. After today's ride, I set a new personal best for days biked in a month (27), beating last month's mark by a day. I'm well on track for making my distance goal. I need another 26 rides and I can usually go to about mid-October. There's an outside shot at making it by the end of September, but now that school's going again and I have to be on campus more regularly, that'll be tougher. I've also already hit my target average speed of 33.5 kph (around 20.8 mph) for the summer (I'm at 33.54 right now). 33.6 kph is possible, but the increases get smaller now. All in all, it's been a damned good season of biking.
Fantastic! I am pretty much in awe of you. I walked my dog today for 20 minutes at the fast pace of 3 MPH. :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 11:07am
Fantastic! I am pretty much in awe of you. I walked my dog today for 20 minutes at the fast pace of 3 MPH. :shifty:
Thanks! I'm pretty obsessive about routines and self-competitive, so that kind of stuff just falls into place for me. The downside is that I hate to go on vacation because it means I'm losing out on biking days and the like. Structure good, structure bad.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Good effort!
The exciting part about hearing about the climax to your cycle season is that it means spring is here 😎

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 3:42pm
Good effort!
The exciting part about hearing about the climax to your cycle season is that it means spring is here 😎
:lol: I humbly accept the role of being a Kiwi crocus.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 3:57pm
101Walterton wrote:
Good effort!
I see you more as my daffodil.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 4:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 3:57pm
101Walterton wrote:
Good effort!
I see you more as my daffodil.
Hey, hey, I don't swing that way, muchacho.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Flex wrote:
16 Oct 2016, 7:06pm
Had my running weekend. Did a 5k yesterday for a personal best time of 26:42 and had the half marathon today, coming in at 2:17:49, a few minutes faster than the time I was training for. Very pleased.
Did the same half marathon again this year (wasn't able to do the 5k due to scheduling conflicts). I had been knocked out with a cold the week before, and generally didn't have a chance to do much training the last few weeks for various reasons, so was a tad nervous how I'd do. Clocked in at... 2:10:24. Rather pleased with myself at the moment (if sore).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 3:52pm
Flex wrote:
16 Oct 2016, 7:06pm
Had my running weekend. Did a 5k yesterday for a personal best time of 26:42 and had the half marathon today, coming in at 2:17:49, a few minutes faster than the time I was training for. Very pleased.
Did the same half marathon again this year (wasn't able to do the 5k due to scheduling conflicts). I had been knocked out with a cold the week before, and generally didn't have a chance to do much training the last few weeks for various reasons, so was a tad nervous how I'd do. Clocked in at... 2:10:24. Rather pleased with myself at the moment (if sore).
Congrats, especially on knocking seven minutes off your previous time—that ain't hay. Are you able to run the entire time or do you walk for a bit to recover?

Yesterday, I hit my 3000 km target for this summer. Should have had it a good week and a half ago, but that stomach flu and some cold weather in October fucked things up. This week looks like it'll have a few more warm days, so I'm going to get a few more rides in and try to get my average speed rate up a bit more. October's cool weather has meant that I've lost some ground on average speed, tho I'll still have passed my original target some time ago. The end of the season has been a bit of a disappointment, but overall this has been a solid year for biking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Aaaaaand I just had my last outdoor ride of the year. The last three days were warm enough and mostly favourable enough winds that I was able push up my average speed for the year. Personal bests in every category—total kilometres, average speed, single ride, number of rides. Ended up knocking off 21 seconds from an average ride time from last year. If I can knock off another 5 lbs and maintain a solid biking routine in the basement this winter, I think I can improve on average pace next year, but everything else is going to be tough to match.

My goal this winter in basement riding is to focus less on average speed than on upping the distance for each ride from 16km to 20km. I'm hoping that'll be better for my stamina for when I get back to it next spring. It's the first month or so readjusting to outside riding that compromises my overall pace, so I want to be able to go in with better stamina right off the bat. If I can do somewhere between 2500 and 3000 km this winter, I'll be satisfied on that front.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:06pm
Aaaaaand I just had my last outdoor ride of the year. The last three days were warm enough and mostly favourable enough winds that I was able push up my average speed for the year. Personal bests in every category—total kilometres, average speed, single ride, number of rides. Ended up knocking off 21 seconds from an average ride time from last year. If I can knock off another 5 lbs and maintain a solid biking routine in the basement this winter, I think I can improve on average pace next year, but everything else is going to be tough to match.

My goal this winter in basement riding is to focus less on average speed than on upping the distance for each ride from 16km to 20km. I'm hoping that'll be better for my stamina for when I get back to it next spring. It's the first month or so readjusting to outside riding that compromises my overall pace, so I want to be able to go in with better stamina right off the bat. If I can do somewhere between 2500 and 3000 km this winter, I'll be satisfied on that front.
Oof, how long is indoor season?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oof, how long is indoor season?
Minimum six months. I don't know if I've ever started the outdoor riding season before 1 May (this year it was especially late, 15 May). So I can figure on November to April, plus the remainder of this month and probably some into May. If I can average 23 days of basement riding a month, that gets me over 2500 km with plenty to spare.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Good work and excellent use of the training diary.
When you are winter training don’t all those teenagers chained to the wall put you off?